Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

What do you think about Soligor 120-600?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's heavy,slow and not very sharp...slow and not to sharp doesn't give you a lot of options.

Compared to the Soligor 130-650,both were equally unsharp,with a bit of PF....

Compared to the Soligor 120-600 I wouldn't know,unless the Soligor 120-600 is a re-branded version of the Vivitar 120-600 in which case the lens is pretty good.

Did the Soligor 120-600 look like the Vivitar 120-600 in the pic I posted?

Last edited by Boomer Depp on Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:42 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it looks the same as the vivitar!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did the owner let you mount and shoot it?

Did it have a high quality build like the Vivitar?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buildquality is high and I tried it. Seemed nice but the weather was so bad that day that there where no good shots to obtain! They where mostly flat and blurred. That's why I wanted to ask for experience!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Karhallarn wrote:
I was referring to the f6.9 one!

Here it is

Click here to see on Ebay.de" target="_blank">Click here to see on Ebay

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, thats the lens, eventhough it's not exactly the one I found!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Karhallarn wrote:
Buildquality is high and I tried it. Seemed nice but the weather was so bad that day that there where no good shots to obtain! They where mostly flat and blurred. That's why I wanted to ask for experience!

Did you have it mounted on a tripod? Were you shooting in manual mode with the custom white balance set with a 12 or 18% gray card.I shoot quite a bit in overcast and stormy weather here in the Pacific Northwest.I find stormy conditions excellent for good saturation and dramatic images using either my modern AF lenses or old glass.

Last edited by Boomer Depp on Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:18 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mostly I'm around without a tripod and I manage to get 1/50th of a sec sharp with my 300mm Nikkor at f5.6!

Hamburg, germany, is not known for the best weather around but it's not that bad either!

ciao,

Karhallarn

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not easy to make long lens in prime and they are pretty costly. I not expect any good from this Soligor Zoom.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually,if this is the same Kobori built lens as the Vivitar 120-600,then the lens is a capable of delivering acceptable images.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you see the pics of the two lenses posted on the first page,totally different lenses.

The 130-650 was produced was made for a few years around 1983 in two versions,one with an integral lens hood and without the lens hood,mine is the latter.The 130-650 was discontinued after a few years,when the 120-600 replaced it.I've never seen a Soligor 120-600 personally,and rarely read or even heard about them.

These Soligor lenses were distributed by Soligor GmbH in Germany...Soligor GmbH was a sub-company of Allied Impex Corporation named A.I.C. Phototechnik GmbH,before the demise of the Allied Impex Corporation(Soligor).

Soligor 130-650

Vivitar 120-600 apparently identical to the Soligor 120-600

Advertisement for the Soligor 130-650 by Soligor GmbH of Germany

Last edited by Boomer Depp on Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:36 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From Lee Mannheimer's inside working knowledge of the companies and article of his personal view on the subject in question.

In the late 60's Vivitar was prospering quite well.Over at Soligor Bruno Multer brains and financial wiz of the company died.Vivtor Silverman who was also sharp,didn't have the charm and management skills that Bruno did....Victor also didn't want to listen to his product division heads....Victor's younger brother Benny though a nice guy,wasn't really sharp or serious enough about the business to really know what to do.He would try to back the division managers,but Victor would have none of it...As Lee Mannheimer said,"it was only a matter of time before decline set in"...Benny,who's office was next to Victor's,would try to convince Victor.In Lee Mannheimer's words,"There would be a lot of gnashing of teeth and screaming between the two at the top of their lungs.With a slamming of doors the corporate headquarters would go into hiding,not knowing what was going to happen next"...not a good atmosphere to run a viable corporation.

Vivitar in the meantime had some sharp minds in their collective division heads and ran their company with a viable working plan and were good at introducing innovative products.This was the beginning of the heady heydays of camera and lens sales of the 70's.

Vivitar was excellent at diversifying and had a wide range of products. With a relaxed but purposeful working environment it was only as a matter of time,that Vivitar was doing quite well.With guys like Don Cohee and their top VP's recruiting bright minds, and willingness of the company management to let Division Head follow their own leads,Vivitar was really kicking Soligor's ass by the mid-70's.A good marketing strategy put in place by Paul Ellis VP of marketing used the tactics of catchy advertisements and innovative products,that helped with sales beyond expectations.

Everything was going swimmingly....it was decided to see how Vivitar faired against bigger fish in the Camera and Lens Division....so the Series 1 lens line development was given the green light.

The Series 1 line did quite well right out of the gate.The Series 1 70-210 was a hot seller in the pro and amateur market ,the 90/2.5 showed how serious Vivitar was about making a good lens,especially a macro.The solid cat lenses were very innovative and helped bolster Vivitar's reputation for a quality product.It's pretty common knowledge that some of the Series 1 primes with their apertures of 1.9,2.3 & 3.0 were met with mixed response versus the norm for typical apertures of 1.8,2.0,2.8.,but they had a following,too.

According to Lee Mannheimer,"Soligor in the meantime was barely treading water.Soligors CD line was not as innovative and exciting as the Vivitar Series 1 line....Also by this time with Victor Silverman's mismanagement,every product sold by Soligor was based on how much it cost and how cheaply it could be sold.The handwriting was on the wall...."

Back at Vivitar the TX line started out well enough and had it's own loyal following,but the most sales came from fixed mount consumer oriented lens.The company choose a consumer direction based on these overall sales figures in the late seventies.They still continued with their Series 1 lens line of macro,prime and zooms and solid cat lenses.

BTW...In 1976 Lee Mannheimer had enough of Soligor management style and had a meeting with Bert Keppler at Modern Photography Magazine to show a new product.During this meeting he divulged to Bert that he needed to escape from A.I.C. (Soligor).A few days later he received a call from Don Cohee,and shortly thereafter had a meeting with Paul Ellis in New York.He went to work as a manager in the Lighting Division at Vivitar and moved from New York to Santa Monica.He later became VP of Vivitar Computer Products.

Soligor wasn't long for the world at this point,and continued to decline till they went bankrupt.

Then the 80's were in full swing...but they were starting to buck against Tamron,Tokina and the upstart Kiron,cutting into their sales figures (Kiron also had an excellent marketing strategy like Vivitar with eye-catching advertisements.The Series 1 line continued with macro,zooms and solid cat lenses with the consumer lens continuing to sell well.The TX line was cut in favor of fixed mount consumer lenses,but by the mid 80's camera and lens sales had fallen off due to the recession of the early 80's.

In 1986 Vivitar was sold to Hanimex Corp. and some of the divisons such as the Computer Division were sold off.Now it was lawyers and accountants that were responsible for the direction of the company.They were lucky to have a few good lens builders producing decent consumer lenses and a few good macros and Series 1.But it was only a matter of time before cost cutting moves by accountants and lawyers,led to Vivitar products being built by the cheapest bidder...."Shades of Soligor"....and so went Vivitar into the 90's with products declining more.

To be an industry leader requires quality products,strategical up to date innovation and a good marketing tactics....

Vivitar once all had these and the world for their taking.To think,if they would have only continued with this viable business plan...

sad really....

Much thanks for this goes to Lee Mannheimer.

Last edited by Boomer Depp on Sat Aug 11, 2012 2:51 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Soligor 120-600 already on my desk, I will make some test shoots before she go to sale among to my friend.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool! Your a good man Attila!

Just picked up a second copy for my daughter.My wife picked it up at the post office today.After a external cleaning it looks like new.
There were some tiny spots on the barrel that concerned me.Turns out there were dried milk or something and wiped right off with a little bit of alcohol.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/110929933684?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

A few recent pics mounted on a Canon 1Ds MK II

MFD @ 600mm wide open cropped

300mm wide open heavy crop

Within an inch or so of MFD @ 600mm @ f8 cropped

Mounted on a Canon 50D

MFD @ 600mm @ f8 cropped

Old image from three or four years ago mounted on a Canon 50D @ 600mm wide open heavy crop

Last edited by Boomer Depp on Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:51 pm; edited 5 times in total