Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Contax G lens converted to Nikon
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:57 pm    Post subject: Contax G lens converted to Nikon Reply with quote

I never have seen this kind of conversion...
Shocked

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Contax-G-lens-Sonnar-T-90mm-F2-8-Modified-to-Nikon-AF-Mount-/330888435186?pt=Camera_Lenses&hash=item4d0a7cd5f2

Very interesting. Just wondering who did it... and how?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nikon 50mm f1.8 D used as donor lens , probably difficult to make it and I don't see point too, I doubt best lenses from Nikon has lesser IQ than this one.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, this is one of the best 90mm lenses, no question about it. Still $900 for a relatively slow and fairly common lens seems pretty ridiculous even if one adds about $200 for the conversion.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fermy wrote:
Well, this is one of the best 90mm lenses, no question about it. Still $900 for a relatively slow and fairly common lens seems pretty ridiculous even if one adds about $200 for the conversion.

Any top maker can say their 90mm is one of the best in my experience, as you point out most of them faster. Good luck to him for sale, a bit looks a glass sword , he could do it , but for what Laughing

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can do it all by yourself, see>

http://www.pbase.com/kkawakami/top_level_contax_g_sonnar_90mm_mod

When you embed the lens into an existing one such as your eBay example, find out
cheaper lens like MC Rokkor 55mm F1.7, which can catch G-len's aperture mechanism
relatively easily. And this Rokkor has relatively longer helicoid which is good for
this G-Sonner 90mm, which travels more than 1cm form MFD to infinity. The best one
is some of Macro lenses, which normally have longer helicoid.

Last edited by koji on Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:56 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:

Any top maker can say their 90mm is one of the best in my experience, as you point out most of them faster

Yeah, and even in comparison to all those good 90mm this one is pretty special. When I was doing a 90mm shootout a number of people picked up on that even though the differences seemed trivial.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

koji wrote:
You can do it all by yourself, see>

http://www.pbase.com/kkawakami/top_level_contax_g_sonnar_90mm_mod

When you embed the lens into an existing one such as your eBay example, find out
cheaper lens like MC Rokkor 55mm F1.7, which can catch G-len's aperture mechanism
relatively easily. And this Rokkor has relatively longer helicoid which is good for
this G-Sonner 90mm, which travels more than 1cm form MFD to infinity. The best one
is some of Macro lenses, which normally have longer helicoid.

Nice but how that guy made auto focus work on ebay one?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is easy, they don't touch AF mechanism. Just replace the optical block only,
since it is quite easy to take out the optical block from the Contax G-lenes.
The guys replanted this optical block into AF Nikkor body. If you are a handy man,
you can do it easily. So that price tag is a bit too high IMO.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

koji wrote:
That is easy, they don't touch AF mechanism. Just replace the optical block only,
since it is quite easy to take out the optical block from the Contax G-lenes.
The guys replanted this optical block into AF Nikkor body. If you are a handy man,
you can do it easily. So that price tag is a bit too high IMO.

Thank you for the explanation! I think also that this is too high but was intrigued how is done and even more that has AF capability which opens many possibilities for sport/action photography with excellent MF lens like this Contax.

Right now I am thinking if this can be done with Contax lens what about other "creme de la creme" lenses out there... Idea Question Idea

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Contax G Sonnar 90/2.8 is one of the best lenses I've ever had. Best colors and contrast I can imagine, ultra compact, ultra high sharpness, nice bokeh, and great CA control from F4 onwards.
But 850 bucks is a little too much also in my optinion!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much G Sonnar 90/2.8 differs from Contax 90/2.8 one in terms of IQ?