Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Vivitar Series 1, 70-210 (third-Komine edition)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:43 am    Post subject: Vivitar Series 1, 70-210 (third-Komine edition) Reply with quote

Left to right:
Vivitar Series 1 (Kiron model), f/3.5
Vivitar Series 1 (Tokina model), f/3.5
Vivitar Series 1 (Komine model), f/2.8-4
Kiron 70-210. f/4 with Zoom-lock

Regarding Viv S-1 glass. There are numerous (Cool Series 1, 70-210 lenses. However, for the sake of discussion, we will deal with the first three. The following editions are nothing to seriously consider, so we will concentrate on the first three editions, which are the good one's. The 4th & 5th editions are also 2.8-4 variable aperture model's, but lacking in construction quality (Cosina built). Due to the fact that the third one is a variable aperture lens, (2.8-4) it will be somewhat sharper than a fixed aperture lenses. It is much easier to design and build a quality variable aperture lens.

The first edition was designed by Vivitar (Ellis Betensky of NASA Optics fame), had a hand in it, and it was built by Kiron. (67mm filter) It is a professional caliber lens, with a 1:2 macro feature built into it. It was the first zoom, designed with the aid of computers, that truly rivaled the OEM lenses of the time. That was in 1976.

The second edition (my personal favorite) was built by Tokina, per, Vivitars specs. It too, is a fixed 3.5 aperture, but smaller, lighter and sharper. (62mm filter size). I really like it because of the fixed 3.5 aperture which is nice for focusing in dim light and long range flash work. However, not a true macro, 1:4 life size.

The third edition was made by Komine, and like the first two, is very well built. It is a 2.8-4 variable aperture lens, and the sharpest of the bunch. It has 1:2.5 life size macro from 100-210mm's, with a working distance of about two feet. Which can be quite useful. Can you see a discernible difference in slides taken with either one of them? No! Don't get caught up in bench tests. Any of the first three editions will give you professional-publishable images. I really like this lens, and over time, has become my favorite of the line.

Personally, I recommend the second or third edition of the line. I have and use all three of the first editions, and can highly recommend any one of them. Superb optics and construction.

Also, the Kiron 70-210 f/4, is a splendid performer.

QLP (Kiron Kid & MrVivSeries1)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Russ, thanks for sharing. Mike

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have all three as well and when I go out to shoot with one of them, invariably I pick up the group 2 Tokina. It is not quite as sharp as the group 3 Komine and it isn't an A lens like the Komine but it just is sooo pleasant to use.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for sharing Russ!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big Dawg wrote:
I have all three as well and when I go out to shoot with one of them, invariably I pick up the group 2 Tokina. It is not quite as sharp as the group 3 Komine and it isn't an A lens like the Komine but it just is sooo pleasant to use.

An "A" lens? Yes, I too enjoy using the Tokina model. It's very good.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Russ wrote:
Big Dawg wrote:

An "A" lens? Yes, I too enjoy using the Tokina model. It's very good.

Yes an "A" lens. It has the auto aperture A setting for pentax PK/A mount. Some of the later group three Viv's had Contacts so the camera can read the aperture and the aperture setting can be done through the camera controls. Mine has that "A" Setting on the Aperture ring.

Group 3 "A" lens

Group 2 Tokina made.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big Dawg wrote:

Care to elaborate why you like the Tokina more than the Komine? I'm actually thinking about picking one of these up but can't decide which one. Also, which of the two is more compact?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tsuioku wrote:
Big Dawg wrote:

Care to elaborate why you like the Tokina more than the Komine? I'm actually thinking about picking one of these up but can't decide which one. Also, which of the two is more compact?

I shoot with both models. The Tokina version is a bit lighter in weight than the Komine model. They are both about identical in size. The Tokina model used to be my favorite of the bunch. But, perhaps the Komine model is now. Both are very sharp and give superb results. If you are interested in extreme close-ups or macro shooting, you will definitely want to go with the Komine model. But, I would not hesitate to use either model for professional applications.

Komine model. No post processing. (Kodak Portra 400 negative film).

Tokina model. No post processing (Velvia 50 slide film).

Russ

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, if you want something similar in a much smaller package, the Kiron 70-150 delivers superb results too.

Kiron 70-150 snaps.

Kiron Kid

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I absolutely loved the 3rd edition....
Well built, a joy to use..

Had to sell it, Minolta MD mount wasn't useful to me

To bad they never made it in M42 !

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mir wrote:
I absolutely loved the 3rd edition....
Well built, a joy to use..

Had to sell it, Minolta MD mount wasn't useful to me

To bad they never made it in M42 !

Yes, a very good lens and a joy to use.

KK

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Russ wrote:
Also, if you want something similar in a much smaller package, the Kiron 70-150 delivers superb results too.

+1

I was amazed when I saw the images from the 70-150 from my T90. And they go for peanuts.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never had a chance to use this lens properly, used it only one time and it's very sharp.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you have the 1st version, watch for the macro switch, if it's in the wrong position, it'll still let you focus, but it'll flare like crazy, i thought there was something wrong with my lens, i keep testing and testing and then i realized the switch was in the wrong position.

the color rendition of the 1st version is very vintage... and it's heavy as hell, i had a hard time hand holding it, the 2nd version is much lighter and usable if you need to carry one around.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Russ wrote:

Kiron Kid

I recently picked up a set of MD lenses and amongst them was the Vivitar 2x Macro Teleconverter. Reading some good reviews about it and curious as to how it would perform when used with a zoom lens. Haven't been able to find a list of matching lenses for this teleconverter yet.

While size and weight are definite pros, my main concerns are speed, IQ and price. Parfocal preferred. Lenses I am considering are the Tamron SP 19AH, Vivitar S1 Gen 2, Vivitar S1 Gen 3 and looks like the Kiron 70-150 is in as well now.

Last edited by Tsuioku on Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:34 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tsuioku wrote:
Russ wrote:

Kiron Kid

I recently picked up a set of MD lenses and amongst them was the Vivitar 2x Macro Teleconverter. Reading some good reviews about it and curious as to how it would perform when used with a zoom lens. Haven't been able to find a list of matching lenses for this teleconverter yet.

While size and weight are definite pros, my main concerns are speed and IQ. Parfocal preferred. Lenses I am considering are the Tamron SP 19AH, Vivitar S1 Gen 2, Vivitar S1 Gen 3 and looks like the Kiron 70-150 is in as well now.

The Tamron SP 19AH is quite sharp. However, when at the 200mm length, the lens is fully extended outwards, making if unwieldy and difficult to hand-hold. The Vivitars are pulled inward (closest to camera) when at the long end, making them much better balanced and easier to handhold.

The Vivitar "macro-focusing" teleconverter is a high quality 7 element unit. It will work fine on your zoom, but the zooms may be a bit heavy for it over time. The Kiron 7 element converter may be a better choice to use with heavy zoom. The Vivitar unit was designed to be used with shorter, prime lenses.

Russ

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:29 pm    Post subject: Kiron vs Vivitar Reply with quote

Have you ever had the chance to compare the Kiron 70-150 vs the Vivitar 70-150 (from Kiron) or the Vivitar 70-210 (Tokina or Komine)?

The compactness of of the 70-150 is quite appealing right now.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:40 am    Post subject: Re: Kiron vs Vivitar Reply with quote

Tsuioku wrote:
Have you ever had the chance to compare the Kiron 70-150 vs the Vivitar 70-150 (from Kiron) or the Vivitar 70-210 (Tokina or Komine)?

The compactness of of the 70-150 is quite appealing right now.

The Kiron and Vivitar 70-150 lenses are pretty much identical. Both deliver superb results. The Vivitar versions were made for them by Kiron (Kino Precision Industries). Also, Kiron made the legendary Nikon E 75-150 f/3.5 for Nikon. However, the Nikon version is not as small and compact as the Kiron model. They are two different designs. And the Nikon E 75-150 is known for developing horrendous zoom creep. I once tested the Nikon E 75-150 against the Kiron 70-150, and after glassing the neg's (10x loupe & light table) and making a couple of large prints, they both delivered similar, VERY good and superb results. I often go on shoots with just my Viv S-1 28-90 and the Kiron 70-150 glass. I've never had an editor or publication reject an image made from these lenses. Galen Rowell made his most famous image ever (Rainbow over the Potala Palace), with the Nikon E 75-150 lens, and the Kiron model is every bit as good, but, better built, smaller and more compact. I use my Kiron 70-150 quite often. It delivers the goods. It takes very common 52mm filters and came with its own dedicated lens hood. Also, the Nikon HS-4 is a perfect match for the Kiron and Vivitar 70-150 lenses too. It is what I usually have on one of my Kiron 70-150 lenses. Here is a column and gossip on the legendary Nikon E 75-150 lens, and the Kiron version is mentioned too. ( http://bythom.com/75150lens.htm ).

Here is a set of snaps that I made with the Kiron 70-150 on Neopan 400CN film. But, due to the lens sharpness and subject matter, I slapped a Black Softnet #3 filter on it to diffuse the images a bit. And if you are into the "Bokeh" thing, you'll see that this lens does not disappoint there either. ( http://www.flickr.com/photos/38463255@N00/sets/72157623181434684/ ).

Two more made with the Kiron 70-150 glass. No post processing. Straight scans from the Neopan 400CN neg's.

The following snap was shot on Neopan 1600 film.

Oh, did I mention that I really love using the Kiron 70-150 lens? It's awesome!

Russ

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Consider me sold Very Happy

Tricky part now is finding a Kiron in MD mount. Might have to settle for a Vivitar-Kiron one touch but concerned about the oil on aperture issue that seems to plague many Vivitar-Kiron lenses.

Something interested I noticed though is that the Tamron 70-150 SP was actually made to compete against the Tokina, who also made a 70-150 for Vivitar. Can't seem to dig up any info comparing the Kiron to the Tokina though.

Last edited by Tsuioku on Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:18 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tsuioku wrote:

Tricky part now is finding a Kiron in MD mount. Might have to settle for a Vivitar-Kiron one touch but concerned about the oil on aperture issue that seems to plague many Vivitar-Kiron lenses.

Something interested I noticed though is that the Tamron 70-150 SP was actually made to compete against the Tokina, who also made a 70-150 for Vivitar. Can't seem to dig up any info comparing the Kiron to the Tokina though.

Tsuioku

You definitely want the Kiron "one-touch" model. You're looking for the Minolta MD mount?

Russ

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tsuioku wrote:

I sent you a couple of private messages.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Russ wrote:
Tsuioku wrote:

Tsuioku

You definitely want the Kiron "one-touch" model. You're looking for the Minolta MD mount?

Russ

You mean the Kiron branded one touch or is the Viv-Kiron ver fine as well? Yes, I'm looking for the Minolta MD mount ver. Unless the Matched teleconverter is that much better, I plan on using it w my Vivitar MD 2x Macro TC should I need the extra reach.

Just noticed I'm considering the same lens combo.. Either the Viv S1 28-90 or Minolta 35-70 3.5 + Viv/Kiron 70-150 or Viv/Tamron 70-210. Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tsuioku wrote:
Russ wrote:
Tsuioku wrote:

Tsuioku

Russ

You mean the Kiron branded one touch or is the Viv-Kiron ver fine as well? Yes, I'm looking for the Minolta MD mount ver. Unless the Matched teleconverter is that much better, I plan on using it w my Vivitar MD 2x Macro TC should I need the extra reach.

Just noticed I'm considering the same lens combo.. Either the Viv S1 28-90 or Minolta 35-70 3.5 + Viv/Kiron 70-150 or Viv/Tamron 70-210. Very Happy

In the 70-150 range, you will want to get the Kiron "one-touch" model. I sent you a couple of links to it in a private message. And, if you get the Viv Series 1, 28-90, you'll be ready to shoot anything.

Russ

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tsuioku wrote:
Russ wrote:
Tsuioku wrote:

Tsuioku

Russ

The Minolta 35-70, is not very wide. And the Vivitar Series 1, 28-90 is an f/2.8-3.5 lens. You'll love it. It's my all-time favorite lens.

Russ

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took Komine 28-90 out today, hell it is flare like crazy, should have a hood to use with it. Confused