Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Wish list for FD toys.
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:26 am    Post subject: Wish list for FD toys. Reply with quote

Hi,

I have posted a few time here on my FD lens set I have been building up, consisting so far of:

Canon 24mm F1.4 Aspherical
Canon 55mm F1.2 Aspherical
Canon 85mm F1.2 Aspherical
Tonkina 90mm F2.5

and I just sold the:
Canon 28mm F2.0
Canon 35mm F2.0
Canon 55mm F1.2
Canon 135mm F2.5
here on the forum.

I am having a great time playing with them all. But I just found the 1:1 macro extension for my Tokina on KEH. The problem is that shipping to Germany is about $50!

So, I may as well make it a bulk buy, to save on shipping fees. Can I get some suggestion of accessories that would go well with my lenses and G1 setup? I was thinking about filters, extension tubes, lens hoods, ring flashes and good leather cases etc.

I don't know anything about filters etc, and would love to to get some feedback! What toys would people on this forum like? and why?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Very Happy What about 300mm f2.8 SSC fluorite for those late afternoon birding shots ? Very Happy that should fill up the parcel nicely !

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nah, one at a time. I waiting to get the 200mm F1.8 FDn first Wink

What about ND filters? Does anyone here use 'em on fast lenses?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since you obviously like Canon's exotic FD glass, here are a prime and a couple of zooms you might want to think about:

14mm f/2.8 L
50-300mm f/4.5 L
150-600 f/5.6 L

Also, although Canon's 300/2.8 SSC Fluorite and 300/2.8 L are top notch lenses, the 300mm f/4 L is also an outstanding optic.

And for a fast ~200mm with well controlled CA -- thus I cannot recommend the FD 200mm f/2.8 -- consider the Tamron SP 180mm f/2.5 LD. Or, if you don't mind a manual aperture, you can go with a Nikkor 180mm f/2.8 ED and a Nikon F -> Canon FD adapter. (Yes they do exist, I bought one off eBay a few months ago.)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started out with a few FD lenses, and I went on from there...

It really wasn't what I was planning, I swear. They just seemed to be the cheapest super-fast lenses I could find. I got the 24mm for 400 euro, the 55mm for 120 euro, the 85mm for 350 euro, all in excellent condition and perfect optics. If I could have bought other lenses of that quality and speed for a better price, I would have. I was looking at the nikkor and the konicas too, but they were always more expensive.

The 90mm ATX cost me 60 euro, because the rubber grip has split. Not a scratch or mark on the metal body though; the rubber just doesn't last for decades. Takes a nice picture though, and gaffa tape can fix anything Wink

I was joking about the 200mm F1.8; the 14mm is also way out of my price range. I am done for glass for now anyway. The very last thing I want is the 1:1 extender for macro photography. So, i just need some little things, like maybe a polarizing filter and a intervalometer, which is why I am asking for suggestion to finish off my kit.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

there seem to be a batch of Zeiss Sonnar 2.8/180 MC going on ebay for what is maybe a good price.

http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200404795350

How do these compare to the Nikkor 180mm f/2.8 ED?