Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

25mm 1.4 lens for m4/3?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:04 am    Post subject: 25mm 1.4 lens for m4/3? Reply with quote

Hi,

I am late to the party, are there any 25mm 1.4 lens that have full coverage (or just slight vignetting), not too expensive yet (<=$150-200), decent image quality? Or has these lens's price skyrocketed beyond reach already? Thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zeiss Tevidon 1.4/25mm if found cheap and converted yourself. Excellent quality, slight vignetting only.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the prices may have been hiked up already. Maybe I need to look for some other Japanese/Chinese made Cine lenses.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never tried the Tevidon but from what I have seen it looks like it is among the best in that class.

There are a few CCTV lenses out there that produce really decent images, maybe not quite like the Tevidon or an Angenieux but still very acceptable. The Pentax 25/1.4 is very nice, I only sold mine because I had alternatives and it is really small (and I have big hands...): http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/546271-REG/Pentax_C22525KP_C22525KP_1_C_Mount.html - it may be available directly at other places. I have also seen great pictures from a Computar 25/1.3 1" CCTV lens. That is not produced anymore, so it is a bit harder to find and you will have to kep an eye on ebay or surplus places. I got mine for $50 but haven't used it, yet - it needs to be slightly modified and I just found out this week what to actually do to make it reach infinity.

Of the older c-mount cine lenses, the two 'lower-priced' ones that stand out for me are the Canon TV-16 25/1.4 and the Wollensak Anastigmat 25/1.5. Recently, both have just gone up to fetch over $200, though. I really like the Canon because of its excellent handling. You may want to look here for more info on vignetting: http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8410&highlight=shootout .

Hope this helps,

Stefan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stefan,

Thank you so much. Do you know of other fast and cheap C-Mount lens between 25-50mm? Most of the example I've seen are 25 1.4, wonder if the slightly longer lens are common or not. Thanks again.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the 'fast and cheap' is the problem, I think Wink I have tried more 25mms than other lengths, so my experience there is limited. I am sure there will be CCTV lenses outhere in 50mm but I have no personal experience with them. I like 75mm lenses, and there are a few Fujinons on ebay at 75mm and somtimes under $100; I remember mentioning people on forums that they perform great, but I never had one of them. A little slower, but the Kern 75/2.8 Yvar is easy to find on ebay and is a very nice lens if it is clean (but usually also a bit over $200). For a long time, Schneider c-mounts went way under value on ebay, not sure if that still is the case. I have a really nice and small Schneider 35/2 that is a very nice lens on MFT. I also have hopes for another one I recently got but haven't tried out, yet: A Schneider 40/1.9 for Robot cameras. Downside: You need an adapter for the Robot lens, but that is just a flange that goes into a c-mount adapter, so you can use the c-mount for other lenses as well. With a little luck you can get adapter and lens for around $200.

Stefan

P.S. On another note, for a little over $100 you will get a Canon FD 50/1.4 plus adapter, that may be the better choice over many c-mount alternatives.

P.P.S. Just saw you have an FL, even easier... And I sold my FD50/1.4 after I got the C/Y Planar 50/1.4, just beautiful on the GH1...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again, I was looking for something around 28-35 1.4 as I am shooting f2 at iso800 a lot of time which has quite a lot of chroma noise on GF1, need as much light as possible. 50 1.4 is a bit too tight and 20 1.7 is a bit too wide... Sorry for being so picky Smile