Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Testing out my new Helios 44-2 58mm 2 on my Canon 450D
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:51 pm    Post subject: Testing out my new Helios 44-2 58mm 2 on my Canon 450D Reply with quote

I scoured the flea market today and came upon a Zenit with this Helios lens attached (which just happened to be the Helios I had decided I wanted to get).

Of course I had to rush home, put it on my camera and try it out, lol. I managed to get my daughter to look up from her Ipod long enough to snap a few shots. Razz

This one was my favourite. The second photo is a crop of the first. I am amazed at how sharp this lens is! Not bad for $20. Very Happy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Helios is worth every penny, good shots- second is very sharp! you will get a lot of use from it I bet Very Happy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well known lens from quality as almost all Russian lenses.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

great portrait, nice ambient light & super sharp

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poolhall wrote:
The Helios is worth every penny, good shots- second is very sharp! you will get a lot of use from it I bet Very Happy

Yes, it's a very nice lens, as the pictures show. I'm not really a fan of the bokeh though.

I got mine for free Smile

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you. I do look forward to testing it out more.

I got mine for free

You can't beat free! Very Happy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great focus. What aperture did you use?

What's not to like about Helios bokeh? I used to dislike it but I changed my mind after trying one.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:
Great focus. What aperture did you use?

What's not to like about Helios bokeh? I used to dislike it but I changed my mind after trying one.

I heard it being described as "swirly", and sometimes it looks like that to me indeed.

It's not harsh bokeh, but it has a certain strange irregularity.

Edit: I just made a picture to demonstrate what I mean Smile

Shot wide open:

Last edited by eeyore_nl on Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:48 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[img]Great focus. What aperture did you use? [/img]

I'm not sure. Possibly wide open. I'll have to start paying attention to that.

I did finally manage to change apertures, lol! Embarassed I have to shoot in manual mode to do so, and often still leave my lenses wide open, but it's nice to finally have options. Razz

I haven't really used it yet or taken any photos where bokeh is illustrated.

I have seen photos with the swirly bokeh of Helios lenses. I went back and forth about them because of that, actually. But sometimes people really use it to advantage so that it adds to a composition. It seems to depend on the subject matter.

And for the price especially I just couldn't resist.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want the swirlies, shoot with the lens wide open and have a bright, busy background. The Biotar is the lens that the Helios is based on. I have one and it's marginally better than the Helios, but costs 10x as much. The only difference I can see is that it has a little warmer white balance and appears to have more contrast and saturation.

The preset aperture of the 44-2 is great on a DSLR.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it does make a nice portrait lens.

Shot @ f/2, iso1600, camera set to B&W/Orange filter.