Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Nikon E-Series 100mm f/2.8 (review)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 4:37 pm    Post subject: Nikon E-Series 100mm f/2.8 (review) Reply with quote

Yesterday I was able to test my Nikon E-Series 100mm that I got with my Nikon EM on a friend's Nikon D40. I wanted to test it because there is a small piece of dirt or insect in the lens (see this topic). I can now safely say it did not have any effect on the pictures Smile

This proved to be a very nice little lens. As you'll see from the samples it is nice and sharp. Not as sharp as the Kiron 105mm f2.8 but considering it's about 1/3 the size and weight of the Kiron, that's forgiven. Pic 6 shows the sharpness best.

The lens is nice and light, and very compact. I tested it with a rubber lens hood, to minimize flare and protect the front element. Focus is nice and smooth, yet well damped.
It handled extremely well. With the small & light D40 it was a very compact, yet capable combo.

There is only very little CA, and when there is, it only shows up in overexposed areas (see first sample, of the lamp). Still this is only noticable at 100%, not in realistic sizes.

Contrast can be a little low sometimes (see picture 8 ), but then again this is easily corrected in post-processing. Besides, some people like these lower contrast pics, because then the photographer has full control over the contrast in post-processing.

I would definitely recommend this lens, it's even making me want to buy a Nikon DSLR Smile
Good alternative for someone who wants an affordable, and compact 2.8 lens.

First a pic of the lens:

And then the resized samples, click the link under them to see full size.

Full size

Full size

Full size

Full size

Full size

Full size

Full size

Full size

Full size

Full size

Full size

Attila you can use these for your gallery if you like.

Tom

edit: fixed the spelling mistakes Wink

Last edited by TDN on Wed Sep 19, 2007 2:32 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nicely sharp pics, but your links are coming up 404.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Links work for me. Thanks for doing this - I have one of these on a D200. It is quite an eyeopener for a consumer lens. Flimsy build belies the optics.

patrickh

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These shots really look good! Fine lens, apparently!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, my housemate actually has one of these that never gets any use. A day using it with an unfamiliar Nikon D100 put me off using manual focus lenses for a long while. Perhaps it's time I have another go...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Judge on this pictures this lens looks too me same than Nikon D50 kit lens 18-55 zoom.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ow, links to full size are 404 idd, I'm going out this evening, I'll upload them again when I get back tomorrow.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

links should be working now

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice shots, nice lens

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got mine 3 weeks ago. Near Mint.
A very nice light weight and extrem sharp lens.
Currently my favorit portrait lens.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got a 100mm Series E as part of an interesting kit: Nikon EM, Series E 50m, Series E 100mm, SB-E flash, all in a dedicated plastic carrying case. Boy, that 100mm is tiny! Only problem is focus is very stiff.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice shots. They sure demonstrate what that petite lens is capable of.

I have a Nikkor 20/3.5 Ais, which is tiny and light; I can carry it all day easily. And my 50/1.8 Ais is plenty light enough to carry.

When I need to bring a light telephoto, I have been using my 105/2.5 Ais, but it weighs almost twice what your E 100/2.8 does. I think I may just have to pick one up for my lightweight kit.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have Series E 100 2.8. I bought it because I wanted a 100mm manual lens and I couldn't find any in m42 or pentax mount at a budget. I paid 115 euros plus shipping, which is not cheap, but unknown alternatives were dearer yet.
I didn't really expect the world, but I soon found it is a fantastic lens, very sharp and contrasty from wide open, lightweight (i absolutely love light lenses), decent build and smooth focus ring. I can use it in eos and I can force fit it in my pentax.
Wonderful lens, and great natural colours, not warm not cold.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have Series E 100 2.8. I bought it because I wanted a 100mm manual lens and I couldn't find any in m42 or pentax mount at a budget. I paid 115 euros plus shipping, which is not cheap, but unknown alternatives were dearer yet.
I didn't really expect the world, but I soon found it it a fantastic lens, very sharp and contrasty from wide open, lightweight (i absolutely love light lenses), decent buildand smooth focus ring. I can use it in eos and I can force fit it in my pentax.
Wonderful lens, and great natural colours, not warm not cold.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A very small lens - it is barely longer than a standard 50mm Nikkor.
Quite remarkable quality in such a small package
Tom

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:

Quite remarkable quality in such a small package

It is indeed. One of my favourite adapted lenses.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Like 1 small Congrats

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got one of these and I like it just like everyone else. Excellent optics and it's incredibly small and light.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one of these lenses and really like it for the price and size.