Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

FS: Biotar 75mm f/1.5 Carl Zeiss Jena in M42 mount 75/1.5
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:08 pm    Post subject: FS: Biotar 75mm f/1.5 Carl Zeiss Jena in M42 mount 75/1.5 Reply with quote

For Sale - A rare Carl Zeiss Biotar, 75mm f/1.5 lens. This lens is legendary, has a very unique bokeh signature (swirly bokeh), and is not often seen in the M42 mount, especially with the T coating (the precursor to the Zeiss T* coating). It produces unique images, it's very sharp when stopped down to F2 or more (and really quite sharp at f/1.5 too), has a fantastic 10 blade aperture for smooth bokeh at all f-stops.

Condition-wise, it's in perfect functional shape. Glass and optics are in fine shape, no scratches, haze, fungus or other flaws. The front coating has a few rub marks just in the coating, which is to be expected on a 50-yr old lens, and which have NO effect on images at all. There's a few insignificant pieces of dust, but these are part and parcel of the biotar experience, and don't affect image quality.

The lens is made of polished aluminum, thus very reflective, and flash pictures exaggerate every spec of dust or minor surface imperfection on the barrel. It looks much better in person than pics might indicate.

For examples from this type of lens, check out some of the albums here:

http://www.mflenses.com/gallery/main.php?g2_view=keyalbum.KeywordAlbum&g2_keyword=Biotar

Particularly check out the galleries for the later-model 75/1.5 biotar.

I don't really want to part with it, but I find I am not using it as much as I should and it would be better off with someone who will appreciate it more. Originally it came from a member here on MFlenses.org.

I'll include a brand-new M42->EOS adapter if desired. The lens also comes with it's own nice brown leather case, and front and rear caps.

Asking $850. Thanks for looking!

Email me at ed@edsawyer.com for any questions.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

$850 for that later "fat" Biotar lens with front filter ding (which certainly looks as if it won't accept filters
anymore) is a)certainly not "perfectly functional" and b) quite optimistic price-wise to put it mildly.

But I wish you best of success with your sale of course!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Klaus

Thanks for the reply, the filter ring does have a minor ding but it definitely still accepts filters. So, perfectly functional is obviously true.

The price is about where they have sold for on Ebay lately, and this one is in better shape than most of the Ebay ones. Plus it has the original case, caps, etc.

Figured I'd offer it here first since it came from here, but if no takers, to ebay it goes.

-Ed

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surprised

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Possible to buy only the front and rear glass ? Laughing

Free bump Wink

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can confirm that this lens is a great performer also that it does accept filters.
I'm surprised to see you sell it Ed. The M42's are in fact quite difficult to find.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uffff, that is pretty expensive for this condition, I think.

Greetings
klaus

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi Andy -

It pains me to sell it! Thanks for the confirmation that it takes filters fine. I'd love to keep it but sadly have a few too many bills to pay, and I haven't used it as much as I thought I would. I will miss it surely.

btw, open to offers of course.

Thanks
-Ed

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surely I understand.
If you end up letting that Zuiko 1.2 go please send me a PM first.
Best of luck.

Smile

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:01 pm    Post subject: will do Reply with quote

hi Andy -

That's on the keeper list for now, (zuiko), but will definitely give you first dibs on that if I ever decide to part with it.

I may end up keeping this if need be too, it's too nice to just give away. I have other stuff I can part with if need be, some duplicates in OM lenses for example.

thanks
Ed

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked
580 EUR! That is definitely not in the amateur price range. Gulp!
Have luck anyway.

BTW there ended an Click here to see on Ebay auction with a M42-Biotar these days for around 330 EUR. Even if I add pro CLA I am happy with 400 EUR + shipment ...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:54 pm    Post subject: here's another Reply with quote

And here's one, with haze, (which mine doesn't have), and no indication of T-coating, that ended for 480EU.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make offers folks.
Ed has listed the lens for sale not for advise.
I used this Biotar and it is an exceptional performer.
These lenses have become a legend in the last few years.
No doubt the price will continue to rise.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if it does accept filters, ignore my words of above pls!

Still wish you luck with your sale Ed!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:05 pm    Post subject: bump Reply with quote

^

Still entertaining offers on this...