Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Fitting a flash on a TLR
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 5:49 pm    Post subject: Fitting a flash on a TLR Reply with quote

Maybe I'm going mad (probably already there!) I can't get my Sunpak electronic flash to face forwards when it's mounted in the accessory shoe on the Yashica TLR. On 35mm SLRs you fit the flash in the hot shoe by sliding it from the rear and there's a stop on the front side to prevent it sliding too far. On the TLR the shoe is the other way round - you have to slide it from the front towards the rear of the camera, and as my flash unit only slides in one way, it ends up facing backwards! Razz

I can't reverse the shoe because the strap fitting would be in the way. Do I need to get a different flash unit?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 11:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Fitting a flash on a TLR Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:
Maybe I'm going mad (probably already there!) I can't get my Sunpak electronic flash to face forwards when it's mounted in the accessory shoe on the Yashica TLR. On 35mm SLRs you fit the flash in the hot shoe by sliding it from the rear and there's a stop on the front side to prevent it sliding too far. On the TLR the shoe is the other way round - you have to slide it from the front towards the rear of the camera, and as my flash unit only slides in one way, it ends up facing backwards! Razz

I can't reverse the shoe because the strap fitting would be in the way. Do I need to get a different flash unit?

Hi Peter!

Probably you could obtain a hotshoe extender cable and an external flash bracket and mount everything on top (flash and camera).

But for probably less money you can find a flash unit on eBay: I recently got a Vivitar 550FD (for the canon analog cameras, but useful on all in manual modes) for 10€.

Best regards,
Jes.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 12:43 am    Post subject: Re: Fitting a flash on a TLR Reply with quote

Jesito wrote:
I recently got a Vivitar 550FD (for the canon analog cameras, but useful on all in manual modes) for 10€.

Best regards,
Jes.

Thanks Jes. Will the Vivitar flash slide in backwards? That would solve the problem. I think it might be possible to trim the shoe on my flash so it will slide in either way. It doesn't matter if I damage it, it cost exactly ?1 Smile

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 1:34 am    Post subject: Re: Fitting a flash on a TLR Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:
Jesito wrote:
I recently got a Vivitar 550FD (for the canon analog cameras, but useful on all in manual modes) for 10€.

Best regards,
Jes.

Thanks Jes. Will the Vivitar flash slide in backwards? That would solve the problem. I think it might be possible to trim the shoe on my flash so it will slide in either way. It doesn't matter if I damage it, it cost exactly ?1 Smile

Yes, it should almost do it. There is a tiny stopping notch, you can place it in any sense with a slight trimming.
Please look at this:

On the other hand, trimming a ?1 flash even with fatal results, won't harm any echonomy...
Good luck!.

Best regards,
Jes.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter,
I've been checking all my other flash units, and the Panasonic PE-201C fits either way without any trimming.
Best regarss,
Jes.