Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Vivitar 70-210/3.5
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 5:47 pm    Post subject: Vivitar 70-210/3.5 Reply with quote

Here are a few shots taken with a Vivitar Series 1, version 2, 70-210 fixed f3.5 by Tokina. It is a heavy brute so I carry by the lens so as not to damage the mount on my G1.

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice pics. I have the Kiron version of that lens and love how the colors just pop out. Vivitar doesn't have the same cachet as Canon or Nikon but from what I read, back in the day they were putting out some great glass as exemplified by their Series 1 lenses.

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice and I have not seen a Raccoon here before Very Happy The dark bluish tinges in the trees is that what you call fringing,because of the light on the lens?

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The word has got out on how good are the series one lenses that at a boot sale I asked a guy, with your lens on a Nikon 301, how much without the camera? He said £40...lol the focus lens was wobbly and overall the lens had seen better days.
But I have similar lenses by Tamron and Kiron and it would be interesting for a shootout of them all, and if I pick up your series one lens cheap will do this.

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vivitar is an underestimated name, still.

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with Vivitar is that they didn't keep their standards high enough for the "Series 1" label... This hurt their image, and makes it much harder to know what you're getting when you see a "Series 1" lens for sale. Sad

I have the 70-210 Version 3, the f/2.8-4.0 made by Komine. From what I've read, this was the peak of the curve for the five versions of the 70-210 Series 1 lenses... but I didn't know that until I bought it. In my case, Vivitar's tarnished reputation is what made this gem affordable. Cool

There's some interesting information on the different versions here:
http://www.robertstech.com/vivitar.htm

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and great shots Ron! Cool

The 70-210 feels large even on a D40, so I can imagine it feels massive on a G1! Shocked

That's not the first time I have heard of someone being concerned about the mount on a m4/3 camera... Are the mounts actually weak, and have people had problems with heavy lenses? Or do they just "seem" fragile because of their size/weight?

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scheimpflug wrote:
Oh, and great shots Ron! Cool

The 70-210 feels large even on a D40, so I can imagine it feels massive on a G1! Shocked

That's not the first time I have heard of someone being concerned about the mount on a m4/3 camera... Are the mounts actually weak, and have people had problems with heavy lenses? Or do they just "seem" fragile because of their size/weight?

I really do not know if there have been problems but it is such a heavy leaver I do not want to take a chance.

I also have a Vivitar 24mm f2.8 Macro 1:5 that I am quite fond of. It is a modern lens of plastic, not a true macro but does close focus nicely.

These shots were all taken here on our property.