Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Niagara Falls, Canada (Super Takumar 200mm 4)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:22 pm    Post subject: Niagara Falls, Canada (Super Takumar 200mm 4) Reply with quote

I used this Super Tak lens for only a few shots then had to switch over to my kit lens to get more range.

There was so much mist near the Falls that I was worried about the electronics in my camera getting wet. It was midday and the bright overhead sun shining on the mist pretty much obscured the Horseshoe Falls on the Canadian side, but I got a few photos of the American Falls.

Looking across to the American Falls.

Skylon Tower in the background.

The walk bordering the Falls.

I realize this last photo is a bad one. It's out of focus and the exposure is wrong. But I just wanted to share it to give you an idea of how beautiful the foliage growing near the Falls gets in winter time.

The mist freezes on every available surface. All of the trees were coated in ice (everything was actually) like a crystal wonderland. It was too difficult to get a good photo though with the sun and the mist. At least for a novice like me, I didn't know how to compensate for the circumstances.

It was a warm day and in the hot sun the ice was melting. Sheets of it were raining down from the trees and sliding off the roofs of nearby buildings and structures.

Cathy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice captures cathy. my wife and i were jsut there several months ago, and i took some great shots, but it was before i turned to MF and was all AF, and mostly w a variety of cokin filters. its really nice around there, and i think you captured the unusual ice=effect nicely in some of the shots.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like the second shot Cathy: the contrast between nature standing out, and the man-made structure fading into the background serve as a reminder that nature will still be around when man and man-made structures have disappeared.

No idea where that deep thinking from - haven't been at the wine yet Embarassed

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

#2 for me as well, but I enjoyed the whole series. The taks are very good and practice gets you used to the different conditions, including knowing that poor lighting does not help at all. Smile Smile

patrickh

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you to take us there! This is first time what I see Niagara falls in frozen environments.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

#2 for me too.

You want this thing for those sort of conditions or snow or rain Cathy:

http://optechusa.com/product/detail/?PRODUCT_ID=73&PRODUCT_SUB_ID=

Nice and cheap - I have them as part of my kit.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Thank you to take us there! This is first time what I see Niagara falls in frozen environments.

+1 and snow is a beautiful plus

heartcat wrote:
I realize this last photo is a bad one. It's out of focus and the exposure is wrong

not at all, focus is on the people and this pic is perfect for bokeh lover

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

great pictures !

The 4/200 is a great lens - I like it.

Wink

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely shots. Makes me want to visit in the winter.

I am waiting for a "K" 200/4 which is the same optical formula as this lens. Looking forward to seeing how it performs.

K.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

womble wrote:

I am waiting for a "K" 200/4 which is the same optical formula as this lens. Looking forward to seeing how it performs.

K.

My "K" was lot worst, hopefully you will have different opinion.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
womble wrote:

K.

Me too! The 135mm f/2.5 is lovely, as is the 50mm f/1.2 so I hope this is a good'un too.

K

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

womble wrote:
Attila wrote:
womble wrote:

K.

Me too! The 135mm f/2.5 is lovely, as is the 50mm f/1.2 so I hope this is a good'un too.

K

Yes, right I look forward your work.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

#2 is superb!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great shots. I would love to go there one day.

When I was a kid I had a returning nightmare in which I fell down huge falls. I still suffer from a mild form of vertigo. And still I am fascinated by these natural wonders.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the comments and the encouragement.

The second one is my favourite as well. Smile

Rbelyell, filters are one thing I do not have, other than UV. I ended up taking most of my photos for the day with my kit lens because I needed a wider focal point. I have a Super Tak 28/3.5 but I didn't bring it.

Mal1905, wherever that deep thought came from I like it! Very poetic.

Patrickh, I agree about the practice helping you get used to things. But you're right, bad light just makes things worse, lol.

Attila, you're welcome. And it really is so much more beautiful than I have the skills to capture.

Bob955i, thanks for the recommendation! Even if that's something I'd rarely have occasion to use, it would be perfect for situations like this. And at that price, how can you go wrong?

Poilu, thank you. I realized after I'd posted that many people post about photos under them, rather than above them, and that it might be confusing which photo I was talking about. It was actually the one with all the ice that I meant was the 'bad' photo.

Rolf, it is. I like the feel of it in my hands too.

Womble, I will looking forward to seeing some photos from you with that lens.

LucisPictor, that sounds like a horrible nightmare. If I had that experience I probably wouldn't want to go near or even 'look' at a waterfall!

Thanks again for looking and posting everyone.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, my nightmares are gone. I have learned dream control techniques as a teen. Worked really well.