Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Is this dust or fungus?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:17 pm    Post subject: Is this dust or fungus? Reply with quote

My friend borrowed the lens last week to USA and bring it back home with a little unknown speckle. Shocked Can anybody tell me what is it? i wish its not fungus..how can i differentiate them?

Last edited by 3belas on Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:35 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does not look like fungus that I've seen. Looks like a piece of potato chip, maybe Lays. I see pieces like that all the time on the front of my shirt.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dandruff?

is it inside the lens? if so, a pice of glue, maybe?

strange. Shocked

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
is it inside the lens? if so, a pice of glue, maybe?

yeah, its inside the lens..my wife said it looks like a little piece of paper. I'm very glad if it's not fungus as fungus can grow bigger.

I'm gonna take it out tomorrow to test whether it will affect the image or not

Anyone know how can i get rid of this thing? Question

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Well, if you think that it can really affect the IQ of the lens, i cannot see more than one way to remove it: open the lens ...

Which lens is this ?

P.S.: I have fixed several lenses from fungus, and never seen a speck of fungus like yours ... It seems more like a speck of painting or the like ...

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep inside , it is not impact picture quality, every lens opening is a risk. I had similar thing in couple of lenses , people are pretty crazy about lens cleaning they always want to open and clean even if not necessary. Cleaning necessary only if inner elements covered with strong haze or fully covered with fungus. A couple of fungus spots not harm anything if you store right (dry, not dark environment) fungus not growing. I have a couple of badly fungus ed lens and a few with little spots I store them separately together in a big plastic box. I check them in every 6 months fungus did not grow on small infected ones even if they are sitting together with awfully infected ones. Try to put on them UV filter as a lens cap, no rare cap and try to keep low humidity as possible.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it were me I would make my GF buy the lens from me.
That's what you get for letting her take it. Hope you learned your lesson young man. Laughing

OK joking aside
Highly doubt it is fungus or that it will effect IQ in any way you will notice.
It looks like a spec of something came inside the lens which happens often unnoticed.
Don't open the lens for this little bit. Opening a lens should only be done if you are saving it from otherwise uselessness.
Test it thoroughly to determine if it's trouble. Again I highly doubt it.

I have an old Canon RF lens that has a paint section that peeled off inside of the lens.
There is a piece 4x as large as the one you show here in about the same place on the rear element.
Absolutely no effect on IQ that I can see.

Cheers
Andy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Which lens is this ?

this is one of my nikkor lenses.

Quote:
I had similar thing in couple of lenses , people are pretty crazy about lens cleaning they always want to open and clean even if not necessary.
so u mean this maybe a fungus?
i guess i would not open up this lens. i don't have the skill even if i want to open it.

Quote:
If it were me I would make my GF buy the lens from me.
That's what you get for letting her take it. Hope you learned your lesson young man.
its a he, not a she.and he's not my GF.eheh. Razz I'd like him to buy it too, but then i'll get problem getting a new one..i sure did learnt my lesson Cool

thanks friends for the reply. So i guess IF it causes a problem, it only affect the IQ right..i'm glad i'm not using this lens for landscape, otherwise it will surely visible if i use small aperture like f16 right?or it is different with the dust on the sensor?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, after careful examination I concur with my colleague Andy. My diagnosis is a mild case of Schneideritis.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:
Hmm, after careful examination I concur with my colleague Andy. My diagnosis is a mild case of Schneideritis.

i'm glad its mild..do you know what is the aetiology of this Schneideritis? Can i become chronic if not treated?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something that you can try that worked for me.. i had a similar spot
Take the lens in one hand and hit it gently but firmly into the palm of your other hand, the "spot" may well fall into the place where it came from ...and you may never see it again Very Happy Very Happy ...or some more spots may join the existing one Shocked

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

3belas wrote:
peterqd wrote:

i'm glad its mild..do you know what is the aetiology of this Schneideritis? Can i become chronic if not treated?

Basically, in layman's terms, it could be described as a form of mechanical dandruff. The flaking symptoms are due to inflammation of the decorative layer within the body, caused by a build up of aluminium oxide in the sub-cutaneous layer. Medical research has so far been unable to determine the actual cause, but a widely-held view is that the build-up of oxide is due to the formation of internal condensation within the body, often following exposure to extremely cold temperatures. Curiously, many cases seem to occur following a long journey by air to the USA.

There are no drugs available to treat it at this point in time and, in severe cases, currently the sole form of treatment involves major internal surgery. However, in mild cases such as this, the condition often becomes completely dormant if the patient is maintained in a healthy environment and carefully monitored.

I would prescribe that the patient is treated to a long period of rest and relaxation in a warm and dry place, with a liberal application of TLC. Given suitable care and attention, my prognosis is that he/she can expect a long and happy lifetime ahead.

Please speak to my receptionist on your way out about my fee. Good day. Smile

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This has clear edges. I have never seen fungus that does not have whispy edges. So it does not look like fungus to me.