Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Nikon announces AF-S Nikkor 35mm f/1.4G lens
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:28 am    Post subject: Nikon announces AF-S Nikkor 35mm f/1.4G lens Reply with quote

http://dpreview.com/news/1009/10091511nikon35mm.asp

Anyone know if the design was from the old Ais 35/1.4?

Suddenly the Zx 35/1.4 seems like a bargain. Laughing

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing

I remember to have read sometime somewhere, a comment by a photographer in a forum thread where the Contax Distagon 1.4/35 was discussed and compared with other similar wides. Regarding the Canon L 35/1.4, he wrote: "The Canon lens has the autofocus; the Distagon has the rest".
Wink

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The new, auto-focus 35/1.4G AF-S

The older, manual focus 35/1.4 Ai-S

It's safe to say, the G-series with only Nikon-body aperture control likely will not have appeal to manual focus shooters who can enjoy many great manual focus designs already.

The Nikkor 35/1.4 Ai-S gives outstanding results at f/4 to f/5.6, outperforming even 24mpix sensors. Wide open it is modest, a weird lens that the performance is within a very narrow aperture range. I hope the new version has fixed this and made it more "diverse", but those samples will not convince me (yet).

I am getting the 35/1.4G AF-S for try-out very soon, and personally am much more interested in it than the 24/1.4G AF-S Nikkor due to a more useable focal length to me.

EDIT: Don't ask me why I didn't flip the lower image Laughing Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Esox lucius wrote:

Very Happy ?egami rewol eht pilf uoy t'ndid yhW

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scheimpflug wrote:
Esox lucius wrote:

Very Happy ?egami rewol eht pilf uoy t'ndid yhW

nokin yaw Laughing

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Embarassed Very Happy Laughing Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

(: .desrever si ESLE enoyreve dnalnokiN nI

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got my hands on a pre-production unit today, no sample photos unfortunately.

Optical construction and MTF plus the Nikon provided samples indicate it to be safely useable for professional quality already wide open, let's see what it turns out to be when I get my hands on a production version.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The new AF version seems to have a compeltely different optical design than the MF version, so much that in fact it can be considered a different lens with no relation with the predecessor.

EDIT: I add that it also is completely different from the Zeiss Distagon, confirming what I wrote a few days ago in another thread: while 50mm lenses are all more or less the same design, in other focal lenghts you begin to see larger differences.