Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Interesting Mir varient - Mir 1 2.8/37A - SAMPLES
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:37 pm    Post subject: Interesting Mir varient - Mir 1 2.8/37A - SAMPLES Reply with quote

Click here to see on Ebay
I really only heard of one person, long ago in the yahoo zenit camera group, owning this lens. I think it was only produced for 2 or so years, from '72 to '73/'74. Not sure about production quantity. But it is a different lens from the traditional mir 1s. It has an improved close focus distance of .024m (.07 for mir 1B), the mount is interchangeable as denoted by the A in the name, and has a larger filter diameter of 52mm (49mm for mir 1B). The most important difference may be this: "It has a chromed locking button that allows the f stop to be easily, and positively set in half stop increments, so- there are not two rings, and there is no hidden and more difficult to adjust spring loaded rings like the I-61 L/Z for an example. Very nice bit of building here. I discovered an odd thing about the preset mechanism: if you are stopped down to f16 and press the locking button, a spring snaps the setting scale back to 2.8 instantly. Also unusual is the fact that the preset scale does not work backwards, so if you keep the preset at f16 and set the stop down ring to f8, that is what you get." I quote Kevin K. from the zenit camera group. I haven't yet experienced the lens to describe this mechanism myself. Definitely sounds interesting though!

~Marc

Last edited by themoleman342 on Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:31 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seen a couple on ebay they are always expensive Sad and quite rare too- it looks more like the auto variant for the Kiev 10/15 as well maybe a variant of that?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never seen them for any cheaper than $100, if you see them at all. So I had to jump on it. The mir-automats do have common features like the close focus distance. The factory that produced them is different (zomz vs. arsenal) as well as the body design. We'll see. Looks like I might be the first person ever to actually post samples from this lens online.

~Marc

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice one Marc will look forward to seeing some shots and congratulations on the buy Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got the lens today and I'm happy to report it is in fantastic condition. One strange thing though, and I've never heard mention of this anywhere. It appears to have two sets of aperture blades! No, I'm not joking:

Can anyone comment on why this may be?

~Marc

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Meyer Lydith looks a bit like that or my Pentacon version does, but no idea why Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I have the lydith as well and it does exhibit the same sort of pattern. Thanks for making mention of that. The lydith's blades have no separation between them. It looks as if the mir has nearly 1mm between the sets. Very odd...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For definite have you tried it yet Marc?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not yet. I'm solely a film person so there is a bit of turnover time to any work. But maybe I'll get out tomorrow. Weather has been awful, and subjects, hopelessly boring. Where are all my professional model friends? haha

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are a few that I just got developed. Nothing too spectacular. Colors are nice though. Maybe a slight cast that should be corrected. No PP, other than dust removal. All taken at f2.8 (wide open). Kodak 160VC, Epson v700, Fujica st701.

~Marc

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Marc these shots are great! Bright and fresh colors and bokeh in abundance.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just bought this lens yesterday, and the pictures coming out of it is beautiful. Although I have one concern.

My aperture ring seems not to open fully. I am not sure if this is by design or my copy is defective in that way. I attach a picture of the blades with the ring at f2.8 (fully open)

Does anyone still have this lens and let me know how it looks fully open?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sharpenedbamboo wrote:
I just bought this lens yesterday, and the pictures coming out of it is beautiful. Although I have one concern.

My aperture ring seems not to open fully. I am not sure if this is by design or my copy is defective in that way. I attach a picture of the blades with the ring at f2.8 (fully open)

Does anyone still have this lens and let me know how it looks fully open?

First post needs reply for images to appear.