Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Vivitar series 1 28/1.9 with fungus
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:38 pm    Post subject: Vivitar series 1 28/1.9 with fungus Reply with quote

Any got some advice on disassembling the Vivitar S1 28/1.9? Got some nasty fungy on central elements.

I haven't found much on the topic nor the lens scheme Question

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a ropey one a few weeks ago, fungus on the front element, loose focus ring and a stuck aperture. Luckily the fungus was only on the very front element and that was easy to fix, the front element is removed by removing the name ring and then removing the lens securing ring with a lens spanner.
However, the rest of the lens is a nightmare, there is a set of elements held in place by three tiny springs in tension along the front - back axis of the lens. If one of these springs comes off its location pin deep inside the lens then I dread to think how difficult it would be to get it back on. I was working blind, I searched hard for any information on this lens and found nothing, and when I saw those springs I went no further inside the lens from the front. I tightened the loose focus barrel by tightening three tiny grub screws under the rubber grip.
The stuck aperture I got to from the back by removing the Minolta MD mount, someone had been in this lens before and when they replaced the mount they forced it back on and bent a lever, which again I managed to fix. I also cleaned the rear element as that was easy to remove, and I think can be removed with the mount in place - with a lens spanner. From memory, I don't think the inner optical block is easily removed from this lens, I'm pretty sure those three springs are involved.
I bought my lens very cheap knowing the faults, and willing to try and fix it. In the end I spent nearly 7 hours working on this complicated lens and saved it, but it was touch and go.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the floating element design is strange and makes repair not easy.
I saw in one of my optic books a lens scheme, but lenses only, not about the mechanics.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen, and probably saved, the optic scheme. But can I find the damn thing ? Rolling Eyes

A good revue of this great lens here - http://www.theatreofnoise.com/2011/07/vivitar-series-1-28mm-review-part-1.html and http://www.theatreofnoise.com/2011/07/vivitar-series-1-28mm-review-part-2.html

and I found this -

http://www.google.com/patents/US4099849

after reading this old topic here on MF.

http://forum.mflenses.com/first-lens-to-challenge-2-4-35mm-flektogon-t25466,start,15.html

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mmm actually I don't know if try it out or send it to a professional repairman Question
How much can cost a professional cleaning?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine only cost me £40, I was prepared to risk it. They fetch good money, so it's probably worth spending money on to get it done right. And it it a great lens, I wouldn't sell mine now I've used it.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even with fungus I can clearly see the quality in this lens, I just need to find a good professional then

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, it's worth saving...these are straight from my NEX5 with no processing at all, the blossom picture was straight into the sun - well, it was directly behind the tree. Both pictures at 1.9. They might not be as sharp as the lens can do, it was windy. Close focus on the NEX - the front of the lens is about 6 inches away from the subject.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had a copy of the lens. In my experience, the close-focusing abilities of the lens made it pretty good for macro'ish work because of the floating elements, but for subjects further away it didn't work as well. I ended up selling it because I found it too big and didn't really need the speed.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to all for the informations and to Lloydy for the useful lens scheme.

I've done it, at least I'm on my way to do it. The disassemble process wasn't that hard, I thinks I've unscrewed a bit more than necessary in the mount part but that's not an issue, just a thing or two that keep me a bit worried about for the riassemble process, but will later see how it goes Laughing

The floating element design is not a problem, just some small springs to remove, thought was harder.

Here's the scheme with the fungi infected surfaces

The real deal actually is the small blocks of lenses 4, 5 and 6 which i still cannot managed to open and which got some nasty fungi in it

This block is the one that screws in the Diaphragm mechanism and to the focusing helicoid. Got a quite long threading on the left part (referring to the lens scheme) on which is screwed a retaining ring with a flat washer with the common two small holes for the unscrewing. Sorry didn't take a photo and I hope I've pointed out correctly Very Happy

The problem is that I can't grip on the threaded part to unscrew the retaining flat washer and I can damage the threading itself if I try with a pliers... any suggestions?

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no idea? Crying or Very sad

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No idea at all sorry, you are in deeper than I went.

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will try to post some picture then...

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

here is the lens group

as you can see someone did already tried to unscrewed it Evil or Very Mad

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Making a guess, and I think the ring on the last photo (with the two holes) unscrews from rest. Get a lens spanner or angled C-clip plyers to use the holes, then plyers on the thin ridge that is between the two hole ring and exposed threads. Before attempting, use some penetrating oil and let soak in for an hour. Apply small amount using a toothpick.
Or, just leave it alone. There is risk of damage if threads are too tight.
John

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've put the lens blcok in alcohool to kill the small fungi in it, once evaporated I've reassembled the whole lens, not so easy and straight I'd say Laughing

But everything went pretty good, maybe not at first try Very Happy

anyway removing the name plate the lens can be "Hacked" to go even more closer than the "normal" 30cm but without it it's tricky since the whole lens block can fall from the helicoids if you turn too much

here's an example

af 1.9 it's pretty glowing, maybe a bit too much...

f2.8 goes better

f4

Now I should try with daylight and check if I've not miscplaced the infinity block Twisted Evil

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
anyway removing the name plate the lens can be "Hacked" to go even more closer than the "normal" 30cm but without it it's tricky since the whole lens block can fall from the helicoids if you turn too much

I did that......what a ballache it was to get it back in the right thread! I did eventually get it right, but it was tricky. Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes don't tell me Laughing

First time I had to disassemble the whole lens again, later on I managed to get the lens block back in the helicoids Evil or Very Mad

I prefer the simple and plain russian and german lens to disassemble

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My lens looks and works very well except that my focusing barrel is loose as well. How can I access those three screws? I have to take the rubber ring off? Can I do that and get it back on without damaging it? Can it be brittle by now?

EDIT: Now I see. There are three tiny screws under between the focusing barrel and the aperture ring. Not under under the rubber, if you understand what I mean. I will try to tightening those screws.