Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

test: 6x50/55mm - 3xTakumar, Nikkor, Pancolar, Yashinon
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:49 pm    Post subject: test: 6x50/55mm - 3xTakumar, Nikkor, Pancolar, Yashinon Reply with quote

Some comparison photos taken these 6 lenses:

photos taken in RAW with Pentax *istDs ( APS-C sensor )
converted in LR with default settings ( exposure not corrected )

the full view ( Nikkor @f4 - originally looks sharper, but resized without sharpening )

100% center crop wide open:

100% center crop @f2.8

100% left top corner crop wide open:

100% left top corner crop @f2

100% left top corner @f2.8:

please be suspicious of the results:
my manual focusing is not all that accurate, for this reason some already had been retaken with somewhat changed lighting situation.
here a reference of focus accuracy: ( f2.8 takes +10 brightness, + 20 contrasts + 1xclick on sharpening in PS7 )

I may show more full views or crops of the bokeh part is so desired

later edit:
see the original files of the full frames @f1.4, @f1.8, @f2, @f2.8 and @f5.6 here: http://www.ipernity.com/doc/119815/album/169949

Last edited by kuuan on Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:15 am; edited 5 times in total

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A must war. I am all eyes to see all comment now. Wink

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that 2/55 tak - cheapest, right? - seems to be an excellent performer ...

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

djmike wrote:

hihi...if for somebody this is war it's his own fault. ( maybe I take your comment too serious, but there is a reason why I don't show this in a german forum where I used to be active, don't need no personal attacks Laughing )
- I will not justify nor defend my faulty testing, I simply have fun with my lenses, do comparisons for myself, and share results. what you, the viewer, does with it, is up to you

Relayer wrote:
hmmm ... I think that Yashica is winner Smile why? because I love Yashica and bokeh is more important for me than sharpness

Laughing Laughing Relayer because of you the photos show Yashica cameras, and of course, the Yashinon is the winner Laughing

I am afraid these sample shots don't show much of bokeh, but here you go:
100% crops of f2 pics:

fish4570 wrote:
that 2/55 tak - cheapest, right? - seems to be an excellent performer ...

fish the 2/55 Auto Tak usually sells for little, but it is a bit rarer than the often seen Super/S-M-C Takumar 2/55mm which you may think of? The later is optically ident to the Super Takumar f1.8/55 shown here ( and which is not ideally focused Embarassed )

Last edited by kuuan on Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:18 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really interesting and useful thread! Thanks for posting and taking the effort!

The Super Tak 55mm f1.8 is doing a cracking job which is handy as i have one Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting indeed! But please Andreas, buy yourself a Pentax K-x and your focusing problems will go away Wink

Last edited by Spotmatic on Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:57 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing these samples.

patrickh

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spotmatic wrote:
Interesting indeed! But please Andreas, buy yourself a Pentax K-x and your focusing problems will go away Wink

using live view?
though I am even more curious how the K-x will be for focusing through the viewfinder, I had pushed the 'buy button' for a K-x yesterday, now looking out for the postman every morning Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

interesting test

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aha! thank you.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kudos for the fantastic test picture!!! By far better than graphic lines *g*

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spotmatic wrote:
...and your focusing problems will go away Wink

all samples / crops now updated, taken from now hopefully more consistently / evenly focused photos, but of course the lighting will have changed
( set up had remained same, and I added 100% corner crop @f2.8 where the Nikkor shines )
the reference:

( f2.8 takes, for visibility +10 brightness, +20 contrast, + 1xclick on sharpen in PS7 )

and I just finished uploading the original files of the full frames @f1.4 through @f2.8 and @f5.6, they can be viewed here: http://www.ipernity.com/doc/119815/album/169949[/quote]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These tests are fun and educational - you can see just how much lens differences matter vs. the contingencies of precise focus, exposure etc. In other words, the best lens when everything by chance and technique comes together is fantastic, but every lens past some certain point, given the variables of life, will equal it in most situations.

That out of the way, I do see some Takumar family trait, the continuity of tone... which some of the others have less of. This is a good thing, but it's lack can also be used artistically or communicatively - e.g. the separation of highlights from mid tones can actually make some photos better.

Thanks for posting the work!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kuuan wrote:
djmike wrote:

hihi...if for somebody this is war it's his own fault. ( maybe I take your comment too serious, but there is a reason why I don't show this in a german forum where I used to be active, don't need no personal attacks Laughing )
- I will not justify nor defend my faulty testing, I simply have fun with my lenses, do comparisons for myself, and share results. what you, the viewer, does with it, is up to you

Take it easy..... everyone has 50/58mm and I have two in these six. We have not seen a test with 6 lenses together and this looks is an interesting test. Mike

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andreas.

Great job.

Thank you for share it

Rino.