Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Zenitar 50 M2S - anyone know anything about it?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:23 pm    Post subject: Zenitar 50 M2S - anyone know anything about it? Reply with quote

I was looking at some 50's on ebay last night and stumbled across a batch of "Zenitar MC M2s 50mm f2" lenses. Looks like a little plastic 50 of almost pancake proportions. Anyone heard or seen these before?

example listing:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Lens-Zenitar-M2S-2-50mm-M42-Zenit-NEW-FREE-SHIPPING_W0QQitemZ180455972930QQcmdZViewItemQQptZFilm_Cameras?hash=item2a0403a042

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just know that is a very late model with a really funky postmodern design. Kinda' looks like chocolate donut.
Those lenses are mostly plastic and the optics are supposedly not as good as earlier versions. ...But I've never tried one personally so who knows?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sharp lens, very light.

http://forum.mflenses.com/kmz-mc-zenitar-m2-m2s-t9504.html

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no-X wrote:
Sharp lens, very light.

+1

Cheers!

Abbazz

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perfectly good lens, the construction has more plastic than older lenses but then so do newer Canon L's and Sigma EX's etc etc etc

Most lenses have more plastic nowadays, it will be tough plastic though, not kinder egg toy grade!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fatdeeman wrote:
Most lenses have more plastic nowadays, it will be tough plastic though, not kinder egg toy grade!

I have a Yashica ML 50/1.9 c lens, all plastic made. The plastic feels extremely cheap, and the way the aperture ring works confirms that. Even the coatings look different of other YML lenses...

That Zenitar is supposed to be a sharp lens. It was designed when so-called 'biodesign' was in fashion. It never caught up with photographers in Russia who preferred all-metal, older design lenses. However and unfortunately, the factory never looked back. This was probably the last lens designed before the KMZ factory ceased manufacturing photographic equipment.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one of these - unfortunately ! It's very difficult to focus. The focusing mechansim is very crude and is made of plastic - probably high density polyethlene and not polycarbonate. The optical cell fits in a plastic cylinder which has two pins on opposite sides. These engage with two spiral slots in an outer cylinder. There are no threaded helicoids. Maybe I have a bad copy but mine doesn't work well.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have both the M2 and K2 (Pentax bayonet) versions and have posted samples on here before, I would recommend them whole heartedly- very, very sharp, excellent colour rendition and nice bokeh too. They do have a reputation for not being well put together, see John's post above, and the spring that controls the diaphragm is reckoned to be a bit weak- but then poor quality control is a feature of a lot of Russian lenses. Having said all that I keep the K2 version in my camera bag all the time and it sees a lot of use Very Happy
http://forum.mflenses.com/lilies-with-zenitar-m2s-50-2-t16957,highlight,zenitar.html
http://forum.mflenses.com/zenitar-k2-samples-t22583,highlight,zenitar.html

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe buy one, are cheap and seem to be pretty good. Compare to helios 81n which is better?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zenitar for image but Helios for solid build quality Very Happy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thx
Which the best zenitar(optics)? m2s f/2; f/1.9 or 1.7 ?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me 2/50 then 1.7/50 then 1.9/50 but all are worth getting. I have the f2 in M42 and K mount, the 1.7 in M42, which is very good and very well put together, and the 1.9 in K mount, which is identical externally to the Helios 44K-4, so good build quality. There is also Zenitar M 1.8/50 too but I think it is the same as a Helios 77M-4, just renamed- maybe someone else knows if it is a different lens or not. If you can get any cheap they are worth buying but prices seem to have gone up a lot recently especially Zenitar 1.7/50. Very Happy Very Happy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thx one more time. I buy m2s for about 10-20$ with camera. 1.7 is harder to find in such a good price; )

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would certainly buy one for that Piotr, seems a good price Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally i have not found M2s so i bought Helios 81N with Kiev 19 for 17$+shiping costs(4$). Now i`m waiting for the delivery

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good choice the Kiev 19 is a nice camera, good and solid with a fine all round lens in the Helios. Excellent price too well done Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two test shots:

Fullsize :
http://img251.imageshack.us/img251/5425/dscf8037assmartobject1.jpg