Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Tamron 350mm mirror lens has 82mm filter jammed in hood
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 2:26 pm    Post subject: Tamron 350mm mirror lens has 82mm filter jammed in hood Reply with quote

Just picked up an SP Adaptall 06b mirror lens at a photo gear market.
So cheap I'm too embarrassed to mention the cost. It appears to take nice shots. Comes with all the filters including the front 82mm filter. The problem is the filter is tightly fit on the inside rear of the hood. I'd like to try the lens without this filter on. Can't get it off. Anyone had the same problem? Perhaps the filter is meant to stay with the hood? Solution without breaking the filter (Plan B)? Suppose I could use with a temporary makeshift hood and if performance is distinctly better go to plan B.
bb2

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lens actual market value is ~ 500 USD so be careful with removal process any repair service around you ? They have tool to repair dents on hood , that is good tool for filter removal also.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Tamron 350mm mirror lens has 82mm filter jammed in hood Reply with quote

beachboy2 wrote:
Just picked up an SP Adaptall 06b mirror lens at a photo gear market.
So cheap I'm too embarrassed to mention the cost. It appears to take nice shots. Comes with all the filters including the front 82mm filter. The problem is the filter is tightly fit on the inside rear of the hood. I'd like to try the lens without this filter on. Can't get it off. Anyone had the same problem? Perhaps the filter is meant to stay with the hood? Solution without breaking the filter (Plan B)? Suppose I could use with a temporary makeshift hood and if performance is distinctly better go to plan B.
bb2

In this sort of situation there are three things that are your friiends. Lubrication, thermal expansion and patience Smile

I would try

1) let some WD40 or similar release oil soak into the joint between the two offending pieces (not very much oil!). Leave for 24 hours. Try to unscrew it.

2) Heat the outer component more than the inner AND/OR cool the inner component more than the outer. For example, leave in the fridge overnight (in a plastic bag with a silica gel packet) then warm the outer component with your hand. Try to unscrew it.

3) If it's that valuable, give up and accept that patience is a virtue and some day you'll find a way to separate them Smile

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for comments guys. I promise not to do anything rash!
cheers
bb2

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So tried without Hood/filter. Filter definitely adds some CA, just as happens with my 3M-5A mirror with filter.
Here is a photo without filter:

bb2

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

beachboy2 wrote:
So tried without Hood/filter. Filter definitely adds some CA, just as happens with my 3M-5A mirror with filter.
Here is a photo without filter...

That looks nice, ver sharp too Smile

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This lens is one of the best in this category as you samples show it. Congrats for this jackpot! Laughing

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Success! Found a plastic cap in kitchen that fitted neatly inside hood. Wrapped it in thin rubber glove and using pressure and twist, it unscrewed, in the manner of good advice on this forum for removing front name rings on lenses.

Just discovered that the tripod ring easily is moved between horizontal and vertical positions. Another bonus.
cheers to all
bb2

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that bird a new holland honey eater? Sure looks like one.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

beachboy2 wrote:
Success! Found a plastic cap in kitchen that fitted neatly inside hood. Wrapped it in thin rubber glove and using pressure and twist, it unscrewed, in the manner of good advice on this forum for removing front name rings on lenses.

Just discovered that the tripod ring easily is moved between horizontal and vertical positions. Another bonus.
cheers to all
bb2

Great!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xjjohnno wrote:
Is that bird a new holland honey eater? Sure looks like one.

Certainly is. Very common in Perth gardens and usually willing to model for photographers!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding removing the filter. Never tried it, and I certainly do not encourage it but here you go:

http://www.reddit.com/r/photography/comments/aywqq/im_a_canon_dslr_repair_technician_questions/c0k44ps