Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Little Eros with Sonnar 2.8/85
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 9:19 am    Post subject: Little Eros with Sonnar 2.8/85 Reply with quote

I photographed this little Eros statue, which was part of my father's collection, using the Zeiss Contax Sonnar 2.8/85, which was the "lesser brother" of the 1.4/85 Planar in the Contax catalogue, but it's a totally different lens with it's own character and in my opinion, an excellent lens in spite of the slower aperture.

I am happy with the result except for the hexagonal highlights (shot taken at f/5.6), to get rid of which is the purpose why I want to build my own aperture filters.
What I like best in this image is the light play that I obtained by placing a sand coloured reflective surface below the statue. The warm reflections comeing from below contrast with the blue reflections of the sky on the upper part of the statue and I think this light play gives much interest to a monochrome object that would risk to look boring otherwise.

I plan to remake this shot in an environment where I don't have the balcony fence in the way, and with a round shaped aperture filter.

I add a few 100% crop details that show the power of this lens. Please note that the photos were taken at ISO 400 so the noise detracts something from the perception of the detail.
What impresses me mostly is the ability of the lens to capture details in the shade. This is one of the subtle things that an untrained eye might not notice, but which really make the difference between an average lens and a good lens.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: Little Eros with Sonnar 2.8/85 Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
...in my opinion, an excellent lens in spite of the slower aperture.

It obviously is!