Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Mid-life crisis!!
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:00 pm    Post subject: Mid-life crisis!! Reply with quote

Hi everyone
I've just joined the forum and apart from just wanting to say hello I have a question.
I think I'm going through a mid-life crisis at the moment but for a while now I've wanted to buy a M42 camera so as to use my old Takumar lenses again that haven't seen the light of day for some years! I've been offered a new Voigtlander Bessaflex TM complete with new Sigma 135mm f2.8 Pantel lens for £200. The Bessaflex I know about but has anyone any experience of the Sigma lens?
Thanks in advance.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi ed

welcome! no advice on the lens, but on m42s generally, you can get an adapter for any dslr you may have to attach your old lenses. that is what brought me to mf in the first place, that i could buy an m42 adapter for my sony a100, for the new sigma sd14 and for the 5d, and use m42 lenses on all of them!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Mid-life crisis!! Reply with quote

DigiChromeEd wrote:
Hi everyone
I've just joined the forum and apart from just wanting to say hello I have a question.
I think I'm going through a mid-life crisis at the moment but for a while now I've wanted to buy a M42 camera so as to use my old Takumar lenses again that haven't seen the light of day for some years!

Ahhh, so that is wrong with me ... I have a mid-life crisis Laughing

Enjoy your Takumars, both with film and digital! They work great with an adapter indeed, and are a lot of fun to use.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi rbelyell
I had thought about going down the adapter route but was afraid to mount them on my new EOS 5DII in case I damaged it!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depending on your interests and preferences, you should be able to get a M42 camera in decent shooting condition for far less than £200.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nesster wrote:
Depending on your interests and preferences, you should be able to get a M42 camera in decent shooting condition for far less than £200.

I know, but the Bessaflex is new and more importantly it has a very bright viewfinder which makes it a lot easier to focus.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh no!! first, i have a 5dmki, and no problem at all mounting m42s. there are many excellent photogs on this forum w 5ds, 5dmkiis, 1ds etc all mount old lenses on adapters--thats what we do here on the forum!!!

there is a list of lenses that MAY cause problems, but they are mostly very fast m42s, though again, i have not had any problem myself.

you really should give it try. for very little money, you can get an autoconfirm adapter that will allow the confirm system of your canon to beep and glow the green focus light, which is great.

take a look around the forum--do a search of canon 5d in digital photo gallery and you will see many members doing this to great effect.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DigiChromeEd wrote:
Nesster wrote:

I know, but the Bessaflex is new and more importantly it has a very bright viewfinder which makes it a lot easier to focus.

Gotcha Wink - Welcome aboard, soon enough you'll have those lenses (you do know M42's multiply like rabbits, as soon as you have 2 in the same cabinet?) sitting on your Canon and your film cam(s).

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rbelyell wrote:
oh no!! first, i have a 5dmki, and no problem at all mounting m42s. there are many excellent photogs on this forum w 5ds, 5dmkiis, 1ds etc all mount old lenses on adapters--thats what we do here on the forum!!!

there is a list of lenses that MAY cause problems, but they are mostly very fast m42s, though again, i have not had any problem myself.

you really should give it try. for very little money, you can get an autoconfirm adapter that will allow the confirm system of your canon to beep and glow the green focus light, which is great.

take a look around the forum--do a search of canon 5d in digital photo gallery and you will see many members doing this to great effect.

Thanks for your input and advice! I'm off now to ebay to find an autoconfirm adaptor - can't wait to try it out Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Mid-life crisis!! Reply with quote

if your mid-life crisis makes you want use your Takumars, what a great crisis it is! - obviously it even clears your mind to know exactly what you want!
..but sorry, can't tell you anything about the Sigma

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the sigma lens, it's quite rare and features that F/64 aperture to provide a huge depth of field, only problem is that the aperture is stuck wide open on mine!

I can only tell you that wide open it is quite sharp, has excellent colour and decent contrast. The bokeh is pretty nice in my opinion but that is something that people can only judge for themselves.

Here's a quick sample shot I took the other day complete with a bokeh torture test.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nesster wrote:
DigiChromeEd wrote:
Nesster wrote:

Gotcha Wink - Welcome aboard, soon enough you'll have those lenses (you do know M42's multiply like rabbits, as soon as you have 2 in the same cabinet?) sitting on your Canon and your film cam(s).

I know, just don't tell my wife! Smile

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

really glad ed, u wont regret it, except maybe in your wallet when you see how these old lenses perform on that beast of a camera you have!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum. Plenty of crisis-driven loonies here to help you down the slippery slope

patrickh

You will love those taks again, and this forum will introduce you to seductrices like the planar and distagon girls....

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nesster wrote:

I knew I couldn't have bought that many!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fatdeeman wrote:
I have the sigma lens, it's quite rare and features that F/64 aperture to provide a huge depth of field, only problem is that the aperture is stuck wide open on mine!

I can only tell you that wide open it is quite sharp, has excellent colour and decent contrast. The bokeh is pretty nice in my opinion but that is something that people can only judge for themselves.

Here's a quick sample shot I took the other day complete with a bokeh torture test.

I like that. Yes, the bokeh is pretty pleasant.