Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Auto-Takumar 2.8/105mm
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:08 pm    Post subject: Auto-Takumar 2.8/105mm Reply with quote

Hi

here some shots of today with Auto-Takumar 2.8/105mm.
S/N 320xxx, so built around 1959/1960. Bought this lens in near unused condition few month ago but used it only 1 or 2 times.

All shots with 1DsMkIII and ISO 50 and mainly wide open.

Here the lens

and here some shots

Thanks for viewing and any comments.

Wink

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice results. I like the Auto Takumar range, and wouldn't mind having one of these myself. Nicely sharp wide open.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have this length lens yet so I'm interested to see your pics Rolf. It looks super-sharp and the colours and contrast are very nice. The bokeh could maybe be a little more smooth. On the whole from what I see, I like it very much.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fine shots as always Rolf. I like this lens a lot - partly because of focal length, but it is a high quality lens.

patrickh

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you. Yes - 105 mm is really a good focal lenght, I thought this this morning too !

Wink

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These photos demonstrate well, the high quality of these lenses. Thanks for posting them.

I have several variants of the Takumar 105mm f2.8 and find them all to be excellent. Included in this are a couple of the early pre-set versions with both 49mm and 46mm filter diameter (all black and black / chrome ) and a later SMC version. I do not have the auto Takumar version of the 105mm though and would like to get one. I also have several other auto Takumars (35mm, 50mm, 135mm) and find them charming to use on the early pre Spotmatic cameras. Several months back auto Takumars were turning up regularly on eBay and I had intended to find one of these in 105mm but never did. Like a fool I assumed they would keep appearing given the popularity of these lenses and the number made back when they were new. But now you seldom see them. Blast I should have done it when I had the chance.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic images, great lens!!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is also the 4/4 version. Bokeh seems to be quite interesting Smile

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not look every day into EBay to find Taks - but this one was the only Auto-Tak 105 mm I found within a long period.

Wink

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey rolf, great shots as always! ive been thinking lately that there is a real hole in my lens collections from 85mm to 135mm, and that the tak 105 might be a very good, and reasonably priced, selection to fill that gap. from your photos i may just go ahead and get one!
tony

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like the last but one image. The bokeh from the background works really well.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great lens presentation. Thank you Rolf!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful lens and super shots! Thanks for sharing!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superb lens in the hands of a superb photographer. What else could we ask for?

I must admit (ashamed) that I don't own either the pre-set or Auto version of this Takumar. I did not buy it last time at the fair because of the 75mm Biotar which ate my budget for that day Smile

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@rbelyell

also take a look at the nikkor 105/2.5 - IMHO possibly the best lens in that range and not really overpriced.

patrickh

look for an AI version

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey patrick, thanks for the tip. can i get the nikkor to mount on my canon? i heard they dont play nice together... Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nikon lens price approx. 200-250 € or 300-375 $ !!!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats a big difference from the tak, which i just saw at less than $100usd!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice pics (the first, my #1).

The lens is fantastic. But I have a doubt. Which version of the 105 is the best?

The Auto, Super, S M C? 4 or 5 elements? Till I saw at the forums, they have similar rendering and sharpness.

What's your opinion about?

Rino.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rino,

thanks for your comment.

I can´t give you an answer. I´m not a "friend" of discussing too much about lenses - whether this one is better or another one etc.

A "poor" picture will be not better due to another lens - on the other side you can manipulate today any picture with a lot of PP to reduce lens problems etc.

regards

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rolf.

You can be right. It's only an old game that with the PP perhaps does not have sense already.

But I can't avoid to ask miself why not to use only one lens and PP. Perhaps that old game. . . .

My best regards Rolf.

Rino.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately I cannot make a soft lens look sharp in PP, other than by stopping down. (The 80mm f/1.8 Komura I have is very soft wide open; it's one of my softest lenses). Wink

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@rbelyell
I mount all my nikkors on my Canon 40D without any problem (and I have a wide range of nikkors). I do know some lenses (which could include a nikkor) give clearance problems for the mirror on the Canon 5 FF camera.

patrickh

There are plenty of samples around the various photog sites showing how good that 105/2.5 is. Also do a search on this forum and you will see quite a few as well

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have no doubt its a great lens. i took a cursory look on ebay and the cheapest one i saw was over $300usd, some into the $500s and that might be too rich for my blood right now...but i will keep looking! thanks

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow I had no idea they were that expensive now. I bought mine four years ago for a lot less.

patrickh