Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

7D and Contax Planar 50mm f1.7
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 6:33 am    Post subject: 7D and Contax Planar 50mm f1.7 Reply with quote

This is a test with my 7D and Contax Planar 50mm f1.7. It was shot handheld in 1920x1080 24P. ISO was around 250 and shot wide open to f2.0. Edited in Avid Media Composer, exported as Qiucktime Reference and encoded with Sorenson Squeeze V6.0 with MP4 480p setting. Poilu, you asked for it so here it is.

http://www.vimeo.com/12886895

Last edited by bleach551 on Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:23 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice first test bleach, nice colors
shake is visible and it is normal with a 50mm handled as Canon didn't give us in body shake control
without support I try to stay under 35mm (24mm on 7D) and use a loupe who help for focus and stability

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

poilu thanks,

yes the 50mm was not that much better than my Planar 85mm f1.4. I am saving up now for a "seriuos" ,(expensive), stabilization form either Zacuto or the many other DSLR shoulder mounted Stabilization Rigs out there. I was thinking of an inexpensive Glidecam or Steadicam solution. Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a Spiderbrace which can be had for under $100 and works just fine. Zacuto gear is way overpriced IMHO.

Chris W

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks Chris,

That would be the perfect price for a stabilizer for me, since all I have after all the lenses I have recently purchased is about $120. Laughing

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have exchanged the original video with a new video with a clip taken with my Planar 85mm f1.4, the first clip, along with different material taken the same day at the same location. a new link has been included above in the first post.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bleach551 wrote:
I am saving up now for a "seriuos" ,(expensive), stabilization form either Zacuto or the many other DSLR shoulder mounted Stabilization Rigs out there.

Hi there,

I just builded one for myself - the rig itself was around 25€ (without the Manfrotto-Plate, you have to add a mount to this price). It doesn't look quite professional, but it does it's job. Chrosziel, RedRock, Zacuto and stuff are pretty cool, but far too expensive (I mean, 65€ for a single screw... anyone?)
There are some cheaper rigs out there, like from IndiSystem or Jag35. Don't forget to think from a Follow-Focus, it might help a lot. Personally, I think the stuff from Jag35 looks better (and I read more positive things about them then from IndiSystem...).
At this time, a friend of mine and his father, who can make some great things put of some metal-garbage, are building a Jag35-Stuff-Like Rig. I hope it's ready soon Smile

Regards,
Lucas

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CameraRick,

The Chrosziel, RedRock and Zacuto systems are really popular, But like you said they are expensive. Its like they said" lets see, 4 pieces of black powdered coated pipe carefully weilded together, lets charge $1500-$3500 and see if they will buy it?", because of our well established names." I am sure that the quality of these products are of the finest quality and worksmanship, but unless there is some evolutionary alloy material that came from outerspace to make these things, IMOA its a little too much. I don't have your talent working with my hands as you do. I would probably end up in the hospital trying to build something as remotely workable as what I beleive you have created.I have seen JAG35 stuff and Indisystems's stuff and they are some of the systems I am considering. I guess I am looking for that "exotic" new stablization system from some far region of Germany form some mechanical genius who sells it for a unheard of price that is 3X better than anything else out there. I can only hope! : Crying or Very sad Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hehe,

I see. The Germans are silly when it gets to build some nice camera-equipment... down here, they just build some cars Sad

My little Rig really isn't hard to build. In fact, I really can't build anything bigger than this.
It's just some Aluminium (U-shaped pieces), I drilled some holes in it and then screw it. That's it - nothing more Smile

Regards,
Lucas

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CameraRick,

Yeah, I love my German Lenses, Zeiss and Voigtlander, so I was hoping for maybe a stabilization system from an Ex Mercedes engineer who had a secret passion for DSLR cinematograpy. About your rig, If you say it wasn't hard to build then I beleive you, but I still think you have mechanicals skills that I simply do not possess. Just the mention of drilling holes into something brings to mind me in a stretcher being carried by an ambulance driver with the doctor asking" what happened" the ambulance driver saying" apparently he drilled a hole into his hand for some unknown reason!". Shocked Very Happy