Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Looking for info on Pancolar 2/50
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 1:50 pm    Post subject: Looking for info on Pancolar 2/50 Reply with quote

I dropped a very low offer (>20 €) on a praktica mat with a really nice looking pancolar 2/50 attached to it, and, with my great surprise, today i won it.
It looks exactly like this:

I assumed it is good, since it's a pancolar, but, except some (not many) samples I saw here, I don't know anything about this lens.
So, since I have to wait for delivery before I can find out myself, it'd be interesting to know about other members' experience with that.

Thanks in advance.

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had only 3-4 of these, so my experience is limited.
They seem to vary somewhat by samples.

Very similar to many Japanese normal lenses of the same specification.
This is a sharp lens with much more normal bokeh than the Biotar.

There is some discussion of specifics of the quality of bokeh and color rendering,
but variations among lenses at this level seem to me to be quite subtle.
Some people greatly admire the bokeh but personally I don't see it.

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The major difference between the Biotar 2.58 and this Pancolar 2/50 that replaced it is improvement in the level of corrections, particularly of spherical aberration. That is why the Biotar has diffuse glow and swirly bokeh at large apertures and the Pancolar doesn't. The Biotar has residual spherical aberration and the Pancolar doesn't. The Pancolar has better contrast too, but in resolution, there is little to chose between Biotar and Pancolar.

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats - It is a very good and sharp lens.
It still has the bokeh swirl - well not as strong as the biotar but it's still very pleasing.
I think you will like it.

I can put some samples from it if you are interested.

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have multiply copies , excellent lens, congrats!

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everybody for the info.
Since i have already bought it, it was mainly for curiosity, but it's always amazing how much info can ne gathered here with a generic question.
Thanks Again.

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a lovely lens which produces a real vintage style.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the serial number on this lens? I have 2 and I am waiting on a third...mine do not have the cool front focus ring.Did you try the lens out and if so what did you think of it?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My lens' serial is 6292481, and I like it a lot.
It's sharp and with a good character.
I still haven't used it much, because I always have so many 50's to try, but it's definitely a keeper.
The only thing with it is that the second time I used it a part of the focus grip, about 1/4 of it, broke into many little pieces, so now I'm thinking about replacing with something.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vx5006 by berangberang, on Flickr

vx5008 by berangberang, on Flickr

Very sharp lens, very soft boke', nice color rendition. I have learned though that you really need to use a hood with this lens, the front element is not recessed at all in the barrel and you'll get better contrast and less flare using a hood.

The f2 version seems relatively scarce in M42, but is pretty common in exakta mount.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Flexon 2/50 is the same lens, but in Praktina mount.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am glad you like it,a shame about the front grip breaking as it adds to the overall look of the lens. One of mine came without a front grip and my repairman replaced it with a normal rubber grip.

Your serial number is older than my 3 Cool

@Mos6502 what hood do you use with it?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those front grips often break, the plastic breaks down over time and becomes brittle, my P6 lenses of this style have that issue. Early plastics often don't last well over time.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mo wrote:
I am glad you like it,a shame about the front grip breaking as it adds to the overall look of the lens. One of mine came without a front grip and my repairman replaced it with a normal rubber grip.

Your serial number is older than my 3 Cool

@Mos6502 what hood do you use with it?

I've been using a fujica lens hood intended for a 100mm lens. Surprisingly does not vignette at all even on 35mm film.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most interesting is sliding DOF scale this lens has.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The sliders are interesting, with my two lenses they are red and the latest lens I have bought they are black like most of the other Pancolar lenses I have seen. I am wondering are the red sliders just a variation or have they lost the black paint? I will know better when my 3rd lens arrives hopefully next week.

I will post an image of them side by side when it arrives.

Thanks for the info about the lens hood.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The red pointers are used on the earlier lenses.

Schneider has a somewhat similar slider mech around the same time, but hidden under a window on the lens barrel.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was wondering if that was the case,I have one starting at 64***** the other is 66***** and the one that is coming is 67.So it does not seem likely,I may be starting a wild goose chase but I find it interesting.Unless Aanything can confirm that his sliders are red?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mo wrote:
I was wondering if that was the case,I have one starting at 64***** the other is 66***** and the one that is coming is 67.So it does not seem likely,I may be starting a wild goose chase but I find it interesting.Unless Aanything can confirm that his sliders are red?

No, my copy has black sliders on the dof scale.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aanything wrote:
mo wrote:

No, my copy has black sliders on the dof scale.

Would you be able to take some detailed images of your lens? Front, side ,back and one of the sliders and f stop area? I am just curious to see what variations are out there.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a link too my Pancolars,the third one arrived this afternoon. Very Happy
Pancolars 2 variations

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mo wrote:

Would you be able to take some detailed images of your lens? Front, side ,back and one of the sliders and f stop area? I am just curious to see what variations are out there.

Sure, don't know when, but I will

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sold the lens because there is no A/M switch on it. Should be good lens, altough I have read the 50mm f1.8 should be better.
I thought it was well build and small and cool looking Smile

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You push the little side lever down and it stops down the blades....it does hurt the finger with prolonged use Very Happy . I think if you have the M42 adapter with the flange it would automatically stop the lens down as you set your chosen aperture. I use the little lever as I do not have the flanged adapter....a little fiddly but it works ok.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, here's some pics of my copy.
Sorry for the quality, they were taken in available light with my phone, but it should be enough for the purpose: