Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Carl Zeiss Jena Flektogon 4/50 on 5D
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 7:23 am    Post subject: Carl Zeiss Jena Flektogon 4/50 on 5D Reply with quote

Some time ago, I promised to test on a 5D the Flektogon 4/50 for Pentacon Six. It certainly is quite usable on a 5D although it can get slightly soft at the edges, which doesn't , however, matter in all photos and at smaller print sizes, say up to 20 cm x 30 cm (8" x 12").

Here is a full frame:

and a quite decent crop:

Another shot:

(full-size at http://galactinus.net/vilva/retro/eos5d_fl50_files/f50_9200.jpg )

A sharpened crop:

There can be strange internal reflections like:

Here is an example of the softening and reflections at the left edge of a photo in portrait orientation:

The 4/50 is the 50 mm lens for beautiful lens flare:

More photos with the 4/50 at

http://galactinus.net/vilva/retro/eos5d_fl50.html

Veijo

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting test. I have the lens but never noticed all that flare. I will test my own copy.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ Veijo:

Is your 4/50 the zebra type as I believe those versions were only single-coated - this might explain the flare on your copy.

I have a later MC version but like Orio I haven't tried it on my 5D either.

I do however, have what I believe is the correct 4/50 lens hood so at least I can try the lens with and without the hood.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bob955i wrote:
Is your 4/50 the zebra type as I believe those versions were only single-coated - this might explain the flare on your copy.

It is the zebra type. The flare in the last example was in a way intensional, I used it for composition - the large front element of the Flek is very good for this purpose. I guess the MC version would have less flare and less internal reflections, but I didn't buy my Flek in order to get maximal IQ, I was seeking something optically different as I've got many enough high quality 50 mm lenses and having seen some MTF curves for the Flek I had no illusions concerning the IQ.

Veijo

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vilva wrote:
bob955i wrote:

The flare in the last example was in a way intensional, I used it for composition - the large front element of the Flek is very good for this purpose. I guess the MC version would have less flare and less internal reflections, .....

I think some 35mm lenses also show this phenomenon. Takumar 35mm f2.2 I think) has huge front element and that causes lot of internal reflections, even hood doesnt work sometimes...

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This Cathedral is truly amazing! I like so much white building with blue sky.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An interesting lens "personality"!