Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Mamiya/Sekor SX Series
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find the Mamiya lenses very good as well. I have a 50mm f/2 SX that renders rather nice.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

estudleon wrote:
BenediktW wrote:
.......@Rino:
I don´t know anything about it either. The only thing I can say is that the build quality is great judged from the outside.

Thanks for the answer. I saw two SX (in QBM both) with the apertures ring died. Casuality? Can be.

Yes, it looks tough on the outside, with tight and smooth focusing feel. However, push the stop-down pin (by attaching a QBM adapter for example) and rotate the aperture ring, and you'll see how the blades have a slight 'play' as you work the aperture ring.

I've been inside of a Rolleinar lens (Mamiya built) exactly for an aperture problem. It's a badly designed and badly engineered mechanism, prone to problems when abused even very slightly. Mamiya used several moving parts to control aperture where Nikkors use only one - and that single part would be fixed hard. Nikkors (especially late ones) were mechanical masterpieces, quite unlike many other Japanese lenses and CZ Jena designs.

Optical quality of Mamiya / Rolleinar designs is top notch though!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A little diva, so to say?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Mamiya SX 135mm f2.8 which I bought locally for 30 euros, but on my *istD the aperture ring protrudes too much, and the lens cannot be screwd on all the way. I have to dremel it, but somehow I've never found the time, maybe this thread will give me the right incentive to do so...

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, don´t dremel the lens, dremel the adapter!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BenediktW wrote:
Well, don´t dremel the lens, dremel the adapter!

Not possible with Pentax; the M42 adapter is flush with the mount on the camera (and he's probably not willing to dremel that =).

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh! Ok, with Nikon, you have a protruding rim which is too broad in some cases.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh yes, I'm not too keen on dremelling my camera body.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I posted this pic on amother thread. I didnt do this to the lens, I bought it this way. It's ugly but it works fine.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiralcity wrote:
I posted this pic on amother thread. I didnt do this to the lens, I bought it this way. It's ugly but it works fine.

Yowz! I hope to do a neater job, but as long as it works... Smile

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ludoo wrote:
spiralcity wrote:

Yowz! I hope to do a neater job, but as long as it works... Smile

Yeah, she's not pretty but she functions fine and is actually a very decent lens.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here´s something new from the 135mm F2,8, taken two hours ago:

ISO200, F5,6, 1/8s

Regards

Benedikt

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice pic, of course.

The 135 is one of the more recomended SX lenses.

I always forget that I had a rolleinar 1,4/50 and it had some barrel distortion !!!

Mamiya too??

Rino.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!

In my eyes, the 135mm and the 28mm are gems, while the 55mm F1,8 is OK and the 35mm F2,8 has disappointed me wide open, but this may be due to the adapter. I have to test it stopped down. Oh, and the 21mm of course is a very fascinating and special lens. Great contrasts and colours. But the sharpness suffers a bit due to my adapter Sad

The Rolleinar is pretty likely to be a Mamiya if it´s M42. It has barrel distortion, as a 50mm prime?! Oh my... That´s a novelty Shocked Razz

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In regards to the dremeled lens, you can probably use an "industrial" sharpie marker to make it look a bit better. This particular sharpie is designed to be super permanent on metal and glass surfaces.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

themoleman342 wrote:
In regards to the dremeled lens, you can probably use an "industrial" sharpie marker to make it look a bit better. This particular sharpie is designed to be super permanent on metal and glass surfaces.

Thanks for the tip.

I was going to airbrush it sometime in the near future.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 4:45 pm    Post subject: Mamiya Sekor SX 50mm f2 on eos m Reply with quote

I pulled out the little pin on the edge with needle nose and filed the edge of the m42 to eos m adapter. Screws all the way on and the aperture adjusts now.

I used a Fotsay M42-EOS M adapter. Did not take much filing on the edge of the adapter for a good fit. Other brand adapters should work too.

I really like the pictures this lens takes. Smile