Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Win a Leica S2
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:16 am    Post subject: Win a Leica S2 Reply with quote

The overall winner of the 2010 Red Bull Illume Image Quest will
receive a Leica S2 camera and equipment to the value of €30,000.

http://www.redbullillume.com/contest/rules.html

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that is a prize worth pursuing!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:03 pm    Post subject: abstain Reply with quote

On moral grounds I urge everyone to abstain from entering this contest. Red Bull is guilty of causing society a lot of ill health. Many deaths have resulted from people drinking Red Bull. I was a teacher for many years and I witnessed the devastating effect intake of Red Bull had on many adolescents.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Chris,

I agree with you that the alleged “contest” should be boycotted but for completely different reasons.

You state that, “Many deaths have resulted from people drinking Red Bull.”

1. Could you please reference the source of your information?
2. Would you also ban wine, beer, and any other alcoholic beverages because “Many deaths have resulted from people drinking . . etc.”?

Red Bull can be abused but it seems that those people who abuse substances must bear some responsibility for the abuse. I think that sales of Red Bull might be better controlled but since it has no controlled substances in it that would be difficult.

Now about the alleged contest: Did you read the fine print. This is no contest; it’s a grab of photos to use not only in a book, the sales of which will support someone’s favorite cause, but in all * of Red Bull’s advertising anywhere, anytime, anyplace, for anything they want for NO COMPENSATION at all, period.

Nothing wrong with supporting a favorite cause but generally, when one donates to a legitimate cause, one is given a “value-of-donation” form for tax purposes by the organization. There’s nothing in the fine print about that but there’s plenty about using which ever shot that you submit for whatever purpose they want, without restriction in time (read forever).

Here is the relevant paragraph.

“Entrants grant Red Bull GmbH and its affiliates, subsidiaries and partners right to use the submitted photos without compensation in the context of Red Bull Illume, the Red Bull Illume contests, the Red Bull Illume Tours or for Red Bull Illume promotions, marketing, advertising, events and exhibitions. Notwithstanding the aforesaid this includes – without a restriction in time ¬– the worldwide use of the submitted photos in any media, in particular any print-media (e.g. magazines, newspapers, books) and electronic/digital offline- and online-media (e.g. on Red Bull Illume or associated Websites or social internet-platforms and –networks).

I marked it up a bit here to show my points:

“Entrants grant Red Bull GmbH and its affiliates, subsidiaries and partners right to use the submitted photos without compensation in the context of Red Bull Illume, the Red Bull Illume contests, the Red Bull Illume Tours or for Red Bull Illume promotions, marketing, advertising, events and exhibitions. Notwithstanding the aforesaid this includes – without a restriction in time ¬– the worldwide use of the submitted photos in any media, in particular any print-media (e.g. magazines, newspapers, books) and electronic/digital offline- and online-media (e.g. on Red Bull Illume * or associated Websites or social internet-platforms and –networks).

Do you realize what is being said here?

This is, in my opinion, a fucking rip off along with so many others like it. I will no longer submit my work to any abuser of photographers such as these people.

Jules

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having read the competition rules I cannot agree more. This is a disgrace and typical of this era we are living in.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: abstain Reply with quote

chrisingot wrote:
On moral grounds I urge everyone to abstain from entering this contest. Red Bull is guilty of causing society a lot of ill health. Many deaths have resulted from people drinking Red Bull. I was a teacher for many years and I witnessed the devastating effect intake of Red Bull had on many adolescents.

Ill health maybe, especially in the US, the home of the adipose - but others have much, much bigger market shares in over-sweetened soft drinks. "Deaths" is, politely speaking, utter rubbish - the only way to die of Red Bull short of being a diabetic would be to drown in it. If any, people die of mixing Vodka with their soft drinks...

It is a very sweet and excessively flavoured soft drink with a caffeine content in the range of a cup of coffee - and as a former paramedic I can assure you that caffeine does not kill. It will cause physical discomfort, and even more so, it will amplify anxiety disorders. But its lethality is well below plain salt - even cardiac cases that complain of very massive discomfort from a coffee overdose are generally perfectly fine regarding their measurable health. The minimum presumed lethal caffeine dose ever observed in a human would amount to about 40 cans of Red Bull consumed within minutes, and safely confirmed lethal doses would be around 200 - by which time caffeine would be your smallest problem by far...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they restricted the rights grab to the winning photo I would consider it fair compensation. Demanding rights to ALL photos submitted is disgusting.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

all your megapixels are belong to them...