Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Yashica MG-1
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:09 am    Post subject: Yashica MG-1 Reply with quote

Hi
I bought one off of ebay awhile ago so thought I would try it out...should the shutter make a loud click or almost non existent click??
My Ricohs are noisy and can be heard miles away, so I am unsure of how soft the noise/feel should be when you depress the button.
The battery works as the arrows light up in the viewfinder when not in the right aperture.same old yellow viewfinder that I find hard to focus with any tips other than pot luck??
Thanks

http://forum.mflenses.com/hi-just-picked-up-an-mg-1-yashica-t20508,highlight,mg1.html

Last edited by mo on Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:32 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shutter click is very silent, use built in magnifier for focusing.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it is anything like the GSN, the leaf shutter will be extremely quiet.

You may attempt to clean the view finder, though that may be a project. Some people suggest putting a bit of tape on the main window where the RF patch is to increase contrast - then you match up what's outside the patch to what's inside it, rather than trying to coincide bits in the patch itself.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you....I can not believe how silent it is! Thanks for the tip on the viewfinder.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mo-Fo wrote:
Thank you....I can not believe how silent it is! Thanks for the tip on the viewfinder.

Be sure to check the shutter actually is opening! I guess that's a dumb thing to say, but I once wasted a film in a Minolta HiMatic I assumed was working okay ... nice click but all the blades did was twitch!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can confirm what Stephen said I also waist one roll with Yashica MAT

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did mix Yashica MAT with MG-1 sorry, certainly there is no built in magnifier.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmmm.....I just did a few shots looking at the blades VERY hard to tell if they opened or just "twitched" I set it at the F16 and F2.8 both looked the same when opening/closing?? There is noway the blades could open that fast that I could not see them?, I can see when my digital opens/closes.It does not look promising Sad

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mo-Fo wrote:
Hmmmm.....I just did a few shots looking at the blades VERY hard to tell if they opened or just "twitched" I set it at the F16 and F2.8 both looked the same when opening/closing?? There is noway the blades could open that fast that I could not see them?, I can see when my digital opens/closes.It does not look promising Sad

Yes , looks pretty bad ... try in half dark where is less light shutter speed must by slower perhaps you able to recognize it.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

(partly) cover the light sensor with a handy object such as a finger. Then the yellow light should be showing and you should see the blades do their thing.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just did what you said when the yellow light came on ....I could see it open and close so all must be well,I did a test at F16 and F2.8....so all is well...except there will be a few odd photos Laughing
What a soft,silent shutter..... Smile

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I just won this one in black, might be a paperweight, but I didn't
pay much for it:

Click here to see on Ebay

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But It has a F/2,8 lens and not manual select for apertures and shutter.

You always depend on automatic system. Old yashicas, like Minister III or D, had a F/2,8 lens too but had a manual control.

Can you share pics taken with the MG1?

Rino

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mo-Fo, I haven't received my camera yet, and still need to figure the
battery situation, maybe get the kit from Yashica Guy, but would like
to see some of your pics from the first roll. Thanks.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok I have not put them in yet but will do it Monday....I may not get it back till after Christmas Sad

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got one of these the other day for...cheap, of course Laughing

Like my other Yashica, its meter is accurate but the "half press" to activate it is really inconsistent. I started a thread on RFF but still no response.

I'm betting it comes apart just like a GSN. The VF doesn't need a cleaning but I'll give it one.

If only I could fix the meter actuation issue...I might actually get to use one Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did find that hard with the half press so I am hoping all was well with the final results.I will find out next week.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The meter is most likely accurate...the electronic connections are the weakest parts of these cameras. My first GSN had a meter wire just sitting...the solder had basically rotted out on both ends of the wire.

I don't want to take mine out and not get a meter reading, but instead waste a frame of film...or many frames.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am posting some of the results in the colour film section.