Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

The word zoom comes from the Zoomar lenses.
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 5:46 pm    Post subject: The word zoom comes from the Zoomar lenses. Reply with quote

Hello:

Few people know that the word " zoom " comes from the Zoomar lenses: these zoom were the first ones that sold for cameras of 35 mm. Previously only the zoom was used in cinematography and TV.

I give them the link:

http://www.kilfitt.org/Lenses/Zoomar_38_82.htm

Bests Regards. David.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi David.

I used these lens. I had three copies of it.

I never used so bad lens !!!! At 2,8/36 mm almost not usuable !!! Distortion of all around. Flare at all. Pull-push system. I sold them with economycal beneficts because they are collector item.

I was a voigltander collector, and because this I bought them (one for me and the two to resell). I remember that the last I bought with a voigtlander ultramatic CS and a special leather case made by voigtlander for both items (The case is with me now, the cam and the lenses no).

Rino.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think maybe the word "zoom" was with us long before the Zoomar lens arrived. Not 100% certain, but I think it was used in connection with flying, maybe during the Great War 1914-18 ,to describe aerial combat manoeuvres - "diving and zooming" sort of thing. Maybe Voigtlander and Zoomar raided Webster's Dictionary and appropriated it for their own use!

When I went to work in a camera shop in the mid-60s we had the entire Voigtlander SLR range in stock - including the Zoomar lens. Lots of interest shown, but it was still on the shelf SIX YEARS later when I left. Not exactly popular, I'm afraid. Was it actually the first "zoom" camera lens?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:48 pm    Post subject: Re: The word zoom comes from the Zoomar lenses. Reply with quote

Petzval 1840 wrote:
Hello:

Few people know that the word " zoom " comes from the Zoomar lenses: these zoom were the first ones that sold for cameras of 35 mm. Previously only the zoom was used in cinematography and TV.

Strictly speaking, the Zoomar was named after the zoom and not vice versa - varifocal lenses (which were invented around 1900) were already called zooms after they got popular as a camera movement substitute in early TV.

"Zoom" itself, as a onomatopoeic term for noisy, fast objects, is already widespread throughout the literature of the twenties and thirties - not invented for, but obviously made popular by the doppler pitch change of shells passing overhead which must have been the signature noise of WWI. Pre war references usually are to birds ("zooming like a thrush").

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 8:36 am    Post subject: I am rectifying. Reply with quote

Hello:

I remind to them that I do not speak English and that I must use " Free Translation Online ".

I wanted to say that the word zoom recounted to lenses for cameras, it comes from the name Zoomar: in the link it is read that the zooms were already used by the cinematography and TV, but that the Zoomar lenses were the first ones that could be bought for photo cameras.

Clearly from what you demonstrate, the word zoom was already used previously to mean a rapid action and Zoomar derives from this.

Is it possible that Zoomar brand has influenced in popularizing the name zoom recounted to lenses?

You see that I am rectifying.

Bests Regards: David

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scsambrook wrote:
use!

When I went to work in a camera shop in the mid-60s we had the entire Voigtlander SLR range in stock .

I lost in the river the 350/5,6 super dinarex lens, and never found another again.

I had to know you before!!!!!! Very Happy

Regards, Rino.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think actually the zoomar got its name from the word zoom not the other way around.

For example, in world war 2 American fighter pilots adopted a tactic of sitting high in the sky and pouncing down onto unsuspecting enemy planes below (as they were highly armed but not so manouverable as some planes like the Japanese zero this is the only way they could compete.) Anyway they named the tactic "zoom and boom."

So the word was here before the lens.