Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Super Takumar 28mm Field Test
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:17 am    Post subject: Super Takumar 28mm Field Test Reply with quote

Hi everyone. I'm a new manual focus only lens user. I bought Super Takumar 28mm and 135mm (both f/3.5) lenses and field tested them last November 30, 2009. I learned how to use hyperfocal distance focusing but it's still difficult to focus at wider apertures. I wish to learn how to manually focus properly.

Here are my favorites from said test.

Last edited by cmontoya on Mon Dec 07, 2009 1:48 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: Super Takumar 28mm Field Test Reply with quote

cmontoya wrote:
Hi everyone. I'm a new manual focus only lens user. I bought Super Takumar 28mm and 135mm (both f/3.5) lenses and field tested them last November 30, 2009. I learned how to use hyperfocal distance focusing but it's still difficult to focus at wider apertures. I wish to learn how to manually focus properly.

Here are my favorites from said test.

Welcome to this forum! And a free reply for the pictures to show up (anti-spam measure; an user's first post can never contain pictures).

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Spotmatic: I see. I was surprised Shocked not to see any of my photos after I submitted them.

I'm considering replacing my focusing screen with a split screen but my camera is still under warranty so I decided not to. In addition, someone at Photography on the Net suggested that I will eventually get the hang of manually focusing with my naked eye.

I will certainly explore this forum in days to come to learn more.

Thank you for the warm welcome. Smile

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cmontoya you have to apply Img tag to your URLs in order to embed pictures.
PLease note that max. side allowed on normal galleries is 1024*768

Regarding the lens, it seems like an excellent performer! A bit larger images would be useful to see better.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am looking forward to receive mine 28mm to test also. I liked your pictures. No2 is my favourite...

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Tharos: Thank you. I see that your incoming SuperTak 28mm is the SMC version. I'm assuming that it would be better in situations like below Crying or Very sad

My single coated 28mm suffers from low contrast despite the lens hood and UV filter in backlit scenes like this.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Though not everyone agrees, I find the Pentax 28's to be excellent lenses - they do not over saturate like some other Pentaxes, and have good resolution. The Takumars are wonderful, congratulations to you both.

Re. Super vs SMC - the Supers are not necessarily single coated, and I understand the later ones have SMC on at least some surfaces. Honestly, I haven't found much difference between my Super and S-M-C 28's, if anything my Super is a wee bit better sample.

Welcome aboard!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ps. I plan to borrow back my K100D from my daughter one of these days, and do the following comparisons:

Super vs S-M-C 28, with and without hood
Auto vs SMC 50/1.4, with and without hood

When I get around to it, I'll sure post the results here

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will look forward to check those reviews Nesster.

I will post some pictures when I get my lense and let you decide.

Wall-E is a fun model and so is the girlie Smile

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great entrance! I love Wall-e Laughing

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome. Thanks for this series too. +1 for Wall-e Very Happy Very Happy

patrickh

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nesster wrote:
Though not everyone agrees, I find the Pentax 28's to be excellent lenses -

I agree on that!

Great shots, I like the second one with the puppet and the one with the guitars is good too!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

welcome! some nice shots, esp 1&3. i look forward to more...
tony

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Nesster: That was also my first impression with the lens. The colors are natural. I had to double check my Picture Style to see whether I set it at Standard but it was at Neutral. I'm glad to hear about your experience with the SMC and Super. You made me feel better about my investments. Smile

I look forward to those 28mm tests.

@Tharos: Hi again. The girlie's name is Yotsuba. I sold her two days later to a friend who was with me during the field tests. I have more toys to shoot at though. This was also taken with the 28mm days before the field test. She's a character from the anime, Getsumento Heiki Mina.

@Shrek, patrickh, RenseHl: Thanks guys.

@rbelyell: Thanks too. I have yet to test the lenses on real people but there's an Otaku Festival (some sort of convention of fans of anime, manga, and video games) happening this Saturday at a local university so I'll get a chance to shoot people on the go (gulp).

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Carlo and welcome here.
Nice samples with Manga toys. Wink

About manual focusing, you should consider using AF confirm adapter rings wich enable the AF red dots in the viewfinder to light up when you're in focus.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should consider selling some toys on the ebay. I might be interested in some and bet some others would be interested too Smile

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Olivier: Yes, I'm thinking of getting one on January. I don't want to order one this month and risk getting it lost due to the volume of packages and mail going through the postal systems.

@Tharos: (off topic) Smile I just buy them. I do sell some that I don't like anymore but only locally (within Cebu City). Try shopping at Play-Asia.Com and Hobby Link Japan (HLJ.com). They offer discounted toys.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 8:23 am    Post subject: Sharing some more field test snaps from the 28mm 3.5 Reply with quote

Taken at the Cebu International Airport on our way to Manila.

Forgot apertures but since it was indoor, I think I used 3.5 | ISO 1600 | Picture Style: Standard | PP: NoiseNinja, Unsharp Mask A:10 R:20

I think I should have used Neutral.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome quality images!!!!! I love No1 (from 1st set posted)

I'm glad i have a copy of this lens! woo hoo!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@andyw: Smile It took me two months to research manual focus lenses before I settled on the SuperTaks although I think I should have bought the CZJS MC 135 3.5 rather than the SuperTak version though. Perhaps that lens would handle haze (cloudy days) better.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cmontoya wrote:
@andyw: Smile It took me two months to research manual focus lenses before I settled on the SuperTaks although I think I should have bought the CZJS MC 135 3.5 rather than the SuperTak version though. Perhaps that lens would handle haze (cloudy days) better.

I find that as long as you stick with the 'usual suspects' - Taks, Zeiss, Vivitar etc you can't go much wrong.

I do love the Taks and i had a reasonable collection until i sold all but the 28mm due to selling my Canon 40D. I sold all my lenses but kept the Olympus Zuiko 28mm f2.8 & 50mm f1.4 as i just could not part with them. As i now have the GF1 and adapters the lust for MF lenses has started again!! I will get a Zeiss at some point and a decent macro but they are thin on the ground for 1:1 versions at good prices.

I can't believe how much MF lenses have gone up in the last 6 months! There seems very few bargains out there these days. Oh well i'll keep looking in charity shops! Smile

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@andy: I knew that older MF lenses are relatively 'cheaper' than their AF counterparts but I know that some are almost equivalent, e.g., SuperTak 85 1.9 is almost the same price as the Canon 85 1.8 (reason why I didn't get it because I will eventually invest in it or the 135 f2L).

Thanks for the flickr invit. Happy new year!