Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Zuiko 135/3.5 vs. Carl Zeiss aus Jena 135/3.5
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 1:13 pm    Post subject: Zuiko 135/3.5 vs. Carl Zeiss aus Jena 135/3.5 Reply with quote

I mount them both on Olympus E510 so the focal length is doubled (but and also increase the DOF). The zuiko is so pleasant to focus and razor sharp wide open. What I like the most is the compact size and it has attached hood!

Zuiko

Color rendition of the Zeiss I guess is more 'calm' - I just love it (I know I shot different animals, so it's not a good comparison). But I found the focusing mechanism not as smooth as my Zuiko.

What do you guys think?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good pics!

Yes, I have the CZJ and the focus is a little stiff. In cold weather I sometimes unscrew the lens when trying to focus.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The goat has highlights blown so it is difficult to compare the two, since so much detail is lost. I prefer the CZJ in this comparison, but I would expect much more from a zuiko

patrickh

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to have the Zuiko 3.5/135 and somehow I regret selling it. Sad

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The goat picture looks weird and fuzzy on my screen?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excalibur wrote:
The goat picture looks weird and fuzzy on my screen?

+1
Patrick wrote:
The goat has highlights blown so it is difficult to compare the two, since so much detail is lost

+2

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree on the difficulty of getting a fair view of the goat image because of blown highlights. Also, it has taken on a green cast on the white areas.

It would be fun to see more comparisons.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laurence wrote:
I agree on the difficulty of getting a fair view of the goat image because of blown highlights. Also, it has taken on a green cast on the white areas.

It would be fun to see more comparisons.

....but even the grass is OOF or blurred from camera shake.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is another shot, I'm afraid it has highlight blown too. Crying or Very sad

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a much better shot Smile Shadow / Highlights adjustments in PS may sort some of the highlights out. Anyway, both lenses are obviously excellent. I'm lazy in this respect and generally always take my best 135 of the same mount of the rest of my lenses for the day Smile

Edit: Not sure that made sense Laughing If I was out with a Zuiko 28/2.8 and 50/1.8, I'd take a Zuika 135. If I was out with a Flek and a Takumar, I'd take the Carl Zeiss. Sames changing the mount around. I think I understand myself now Laughing

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me, much better CZJ. The focus and beautiful bokeh. Typical of a Sonnar.
Great lens, congrats Wink

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got the CZ very cheap: euro 25. From a generous collector who own too much of it.
It has some ex-fungus or coating defect at the edge - but who cares Smile

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had both and could compare them under several aspects:
Resolution and sharpness, CA, bokeh.

The Sonnar was better in every category. Isn't close distance much better (closer) too?
Nevertheless the Zuiko is a good lens I think. Maybe my copy was not so good.

both are sold meanwhile. I prefer the older Sonnar 4/135.