Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Gold Spotmatic ?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 11:31 am    Post subject: Gold Spotmatic ? Reply with quote

Not our dutch member Laughing
But I saw an unusual gold Spotmatic SP, with lizard leather, lens seems to be an SMC Takumar 50/1.4, not gold but ruberrized focusing grip has been changed to lizard too. Also slightly different from the gold Spotmatic at bdimitrov's pages :

Does someone already saw a Spotmatic like this, or had an idea of price ?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The price on gold cameras - mostly 80's gold spattered atrocities made for non-discerning "collectors" - has collapsed. They frequently are offered at their peak prices from the past, but when they sell, it is usually well below any in real finish.

Only real commemorative editions from the camera manufacturer have still retained some value - and that only for seventies and earlier cameras, when they weren't made by thousands, and provided that they are mint with original boxes and pedigree.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always wonder what would you do with such a cam/lens?
If it's only for the cabniet, it would perhaps be a good idea to add a layer of golden coating to the front element. Laughing

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go the whole hog: solid gold lens elements!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Gold Spotmatic ? Reply with quote

CarbonR wrote:
Not our dutch member Laughing
But I saw an unusual gold Spotmatic SP, with lizard leather, lens seems to be an SMC Takumar 50/1.4

I would call it Tackyumar Razz

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Arabia a decade or two ago it was not unknown for nouveau riche ladies to attend a wedding party adorned with a row of Rolex watches up their arms. That was the era when the Sultan of Brunei gave away golden Leicas (possibly with more gold in them than this Spotty has). The Gulf is awash with money now but I'm afraid tastes are changing and even out here this might be thought a little odd.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
I always wonder what would you do with such a cam/lens?

I think this is the right question. After all, I prefer put these 290€ in a 500/4.5, altough the golden spotmatic is rarer Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, back in the day, at the Dutch Pentax importer (doesn't exist anymore) I was allowed to handle a gold Pentax LX with a gold SMC Pentax 50/1.2. Without gloves, so the camera got my fingerprints all over it Wink

I like Pentax, but the cam was way overdone to my taste. I'm not a blingbling person. I prefer to buy stuff I actually use Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the lens looks nice. the body, not so much. personally, unless it was selling for dirt cheap, I would never waste my money on this. I like Pentax as much as some of you folks, and have spent a lot of money on things that are as much collectables as they are photographic equipment, and have even paid too much for things simply because they were Pentax or Pentax branded. but to me, this is a bit much.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate it. A platinum one would be nice though Smile

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm the only one who likes it... Shocked Very Happy

I wouldnt pay top dollar for it, but I think it looks cool... Cool

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Gold Spotmatic ? Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
I would call it Tackyumar Razz

Genius! Absolute genius!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The gold LX is soooo much nicer since they gilded even the rewind knob. Oh...the gator skin seals the deal for me Laughing

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ryan s wrote:
The gold LX is soooo much nicer since they gilded even the rewind knob. Oh...the gator skin seals the deal for me Laughing

Wow. Pure tasteless prize!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah yes. The old Pimptax Pimpmatic. Laughing

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"extensive brassing"

Wasn't the famous Ed Romney reponsible for some of the re-upholstering of many cameras?