Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

50mm (or thereabouts) Madness!
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:26 pm    Post subject: 50mm (or thereabouts) Madness! Reply with quote

Ok, I have had a bit of a cleaning blitz around the place, and have discovered that my primes have been breeding in the dark corners..

I now have over SEVENTY 50mm (or near that length) primes:

Super Tak f2 55mm
Super Tak f1.8 55mm (x2)
Super Tak f1.4 50mm
Takumar AF FA 50mm F1.4
Takumar 'A' f2 50mm
Takumar 'M' f1.7 50mm

Leica Summicron f2 50mm (early from old Leicaflex MK 2)

Nikon f1.4 50mm 'S' Non ai
Nikon f1.4 50mm ai

Zeiss Planar f1.4 50mm
Zeiss Planar f1.7 50mm
Zeiss Jena f1.8 50mm Pancolar
Zeiss Tessar f2.8 preset 50mm
Zeiss Tessar f2.8 50mm

Meyer Orestor f1.8 50mm
Meyer / Pentacon f1.8 50mm 'electric' (x3)

Minolta MD f1.4 50mm
Minolta MC f1.4 50mm
Minolta MD Rokkor -PF f1.4 50mm
Minolta MD Rokkor - PG f1.4 50mm
Minolta MC f1.4 58mm
Minolta MD f1.8 50mm (x3)
Minolta f3.5 50mm Macro

Canon FD 1.4 50mm (silver nose)
Canon FD f1.4 50mm (x2)
Canon f1.8 50mm (x 4)
Canon f3.5 50mm Macro

Olympus f1.4 50mm OM Zuiko (x2)
Olympus f1.8 50mm OM Zuiko (x2)

Yashica ML f1.4 50mm
Yashica ML f1.7 50mm (x3)
Yashica ML f2 50mm (x2)
Yashica DS-M f1.8 50mm (x2)
Yashica DSB f1.8 50mm

Industar 61 f2.8 52mm

Sonnar f2 50mm

Chinon f1.4 55mm (Tomioka)
Alpa f1.4 55mm (Tomioka)
GAF f1.4 55mm (tomioka)

Fujica f1.6 50mm EBC (x2)
Fujica f1.9 50mm

Konica f1.8 40mm
Konica AR f1.4

Also (elsewhere so details hazy)

Edixa
Cosina
Rollei (HFT Planar)

and about a dozen more! (Now remember the 58mm Zenit Helios)

Then there's the 29 135mm

and..

Ooops

Doug.

Last edited by nemesis101 on Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:59 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so which one of them do you like the best?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is quite a collection! Shocked
And I have some other ones you don't have yet!
You did not reach to the limits. Laughing

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doug,

Your post prompted me to refer to my spreadsheet and count anything that wasn't fixed to the body and measured from 45 to 58mm. I come in just south of your count of 70 (Whew!) Two or three of them might be enlarging lenses.

Bill

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think if you were to put all of them for sale you could cause a world price crash!

Have you photographed them all? Laughing

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have pictures of most of them.. as part of the home contents insurance, along with the 100+ cameras, 8 DSLRs and countless P&S cameras that infest my life!

I have NOT included enlarging lenses (4 Componons, 3 Nikons, and a number of Schneiders...)

I also discovered (since enumerating the above list)

2 Olympus OM / AF lenses for their unlamented semi AF camera (had manual focus but focus confirm)

1 50mm f1.8 Canon 'nifty fifty'

The list just grows.....

Doug

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ouch, I feel like a beginner with my six normals Embarassed

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing here is 'normal' lol

Doug

poilu wrote:
ouch, I feel like a beginner with my six normals Embarassed

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope you brought enough for everybody. Laughing

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I think there are to many lenses in the 50mm range missing!
Not one f/1.2 lens if I looked carefully enough!

But on the other hand 70 lenses of about the same focal length are absolut crazy!

I think ~ 50 is a good number to have enough choice and some backup lenses, and some for tinkering Wink
I really have the intention to sell some of my lenses, a Planar 50, Pentax M 50/1.4 - but cause I ned that much time for testing and tinkering on all these lenses I have no time to sell some Smile

Some days ago I packed a parcel for a friend - a manual lens test selection: Zeiss 50/1.7 and 135/2.8, and a Pentacon 135/2.8. And I thought about a Helios 44, but I took one, and it had fungus, away in the DIY drawer. The other two where used in my apodisation experiment, so I could not send them away. But I realized in my preliminary excel sheet, that I seem to have another copy of that lens - but no idea about the whereabouts!
But last weekend I bought another one, to be prepared Smile

Last edited by ZoneV on Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:11 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn!

You have now reminded me.. add to my list the Helios 58mm ! lol

I had until recently a Canon f1.2 but saw no reason to keep it as f1.2 was all but unusable so why not be happy with the f1.4...

Doug

ZoneV wrote:
Oh, I think there are to many lenses in the 50mm range missing!
Not one f/1.2 lens if I looked carefully enough!

But on the other hand 70 lenses of about the same focal length are absolut crazy!

I think ~ 50 is a good number to have enough choice and some backup lenses, and some for tinkering Wink
I really have the intention to sell some of my lenses, a Planar 50, Pentax M 50/1.4 - but cause I ned that much time for testing and tinkering on all these lenses I have no time to sell some Smile

Some days ago I packed a parcel for a friend - a manual lens test selection: Zeiss 50/1.7 and 135/2.8, and a Pentacon 135/2.8. And I thought about a Helios 44, but I took one, and it had fungus, away in the DIY drawer. The other two where used in my apodisation experiment, so I could not send them away. But I realized in my preliminary excel sheet, that I semm to have another copy of that lens - but no idea about the whereabouts!
But last weekend I bought another one, to be prepared Smile

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nemesis101 wrote:
...I had until recently a Canon f1.2 but saw no reason to keep it as f1.2 was all but unusable so why not be happy with the f1.4...

OK, unusable lenses are not that necessary like the other 70.
I have at the moment two 1.2 ~50mm lense: The converted Rokkor 58 and a very good looking Konica 57mm 1.2.
The later looks that great through the Konica T3 viewfindern, I think I need to test it a bit. And decide, if I want to convert / adapt this lens as a near field lens on the EOS 5D, or sell it.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoah! .. what a great collection Smile

About Zeiss 50 f1.4 & f1.7, is the f1.7 really sharper compared to f1.4, both at wide open? or f1.7 is sharper at f2 and above?

Is the Rokkor MD 50/1.4 bokeh softer than the MC? (I got the MC and the bokeh is very wild)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Planar f1.7 seems as sharp as the f1.4 but there are subtle differences in micro contrast.. the F1.7 seems to have better bokeh. It is also much lighter! It's the AE version the f1,4 is the MM variant.

The MC I like, it is very heavy but very well made. I have not really compared the bokeh etc. with any other Rokkors as that work was done a while ago and examples can be found on the web here:

http://www.rokkorfiles.com/Battle%20of%2050s1.htm

Doug

nixland wrote:
Whoah! .. what a great collection Smile

About Zeiss 50 f1.4 & f1.7, is the f1.7 really sharper compared to f1.4, both at wide open? or f1.7 is sharper at f2 and above?

Is the Rokkor MD 50/1.4 bokeh softer than the MC? (I got the MC and the bokeh is very wild)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:38 am    Post subject: A few of the '50s' Reply with quote

Here are a few of the F1.4 50's with the Canon 50mm macro and the nifty 50 to keep them company

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you should sell them all and buy compact camera. I will give you fair offer Wink.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nixland wrote:

lens should be compared at same aperture
it is logical that a lens is sharper a f1.7 than at f1.4
Zeiss consider the f1.4 as the benchmark and the f1.7 good enough to be compared
The f1.4 is the sharpest slr lens Zeiss ever achieved, if your have a better lens, it would be nice to send it to Zeiss to open their eyes
Zeiss about the 1.7 wrote:
The image quality is excellent and can even be compared with that of the 50 mm Planar® f/1.4
lens at the corresponding f-stops

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

poilu wrote:
nixland wrote:

lens should be compared at same aperture
it is logical that a lens is sharper a f1.7 than at f1.4
Zeiss consider the f1.4 as the benchmark and the f1.7 good enough to be compared
The f1.4 is the sharpest slr lens Zeiss ever achieved, if your have a better lens, it would be nice to send it to Zeiss to open their eyes
Zeiss about the 1.7 wrote:
The image quality is excellent and can even be compared with that of the 50 mm Planar® f/1.4
lens at the corresponding f-stops

Arrgghh ... sorry for my stupid question Smile Yes of course, at narrower aperture the lens should be sharper.
How about at f2 to f8? (both at same aperture of course). I ask this because I read many posts that said the f1.7 is sharper. I am just curious and the OP has both lens Smile

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A group photo of all 70+ lenses would be pretty impressive.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am always humbled by the generosity of folk here Smile

When I got a destroyed Praktica VLC a couple of folk offered to repair the camera in return for me giving them the lens (a Pancolar).. lol

Now people are offering me a nice point and shoot and all they want in return are these old lenses? That's sooooooooooo kind... tee hee

Well, I think I'll pass on that one!

Doug

Pancolart wrote:
I think you should sell them all and buy compact camera. I will give you fair offer Wink.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that collection is astounding Shocked which is your favorite?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The one I have with me at the time..

Seriously though, some like the Oly ML f1.4 are really heavy - as are all the (identical bar the badge) Tomioka 55mm f1.4... so I guess I'd say the Pancolar or the Planar f1.7.

Smile

gearsNcogs wrote:
that collection is astounding Shocked which is your favorite?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will try and oblige.. it's just finding the space, and a wide enough lens.. lol

I had the same problem last year with all my cameras, I arranged them all the way up a flight of stairs - sadly since then my collection has all but doubled! Not enough stairs!!!

Smile Smile

Doug

s58y wrote:
A group photo of all 70+ lenses would be pretty impressive.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huh! Seventy 50mm lenses, useless for me as a 50mm it's my least used lens Wink

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember the stair shot Doug....truly an amazing sight! How big is your front lawn... Laughing