Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Contax S-Planar 1:2.8 f=60mm
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 2:46 pm    Post subject: Contax S-Planar 1:2.8 f=60mm Reply with quote

This is a rather one of a kind lens from the point of view of the collectioner, because (as far as I know) it's the only lens in the Contax SLR line to have th name printed in the old Contarex format instead of the newer "synthetic" Contax format.

Based on this, I tend to think that this was surely one of the first lenses in the then new Contax SLR line (beginning of the 70s). The S-Planar name comes from the Contarex also, and specifically from the very famous S-Planar 100 Macro for the Contarex line.
Later in it's life, the lens was renamed in the Contax standard way ( Makro-Planar 2.8/60 ) and this happened when the production of the lens was moved to Japan. As you would now guess, my copy is West Germany made.

My copy absolutely keeps up with the outstanding reputation of this model. It is sharp to the unbelievable and provides very saturated colours - so much that in fact I'm tempted to lower the default saturation setting of my 5DII when using it.

Contrary to common belief, that wants this lens weak in the long distance use, I find it pretty adequate, although surely not as detailed as a par value non-macro lens would be. Here you see a shot focused to about 20 m distance and from above. I include a 100% crop to show the detail. The aperture I think was f/5.6 and shot was hand-held. ISO I think 400.
The trees are the Sargent Plum and the Domestic Apple of my garden. On the ground you can see Attila Jr. Smile

The difference in white balance that you notice from the whole image to the crop is because I took the 100% crop from the preview screen, whose WB was not corrected. Too lazy to reprocess picture again for the crop...
Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio -- congrats!

I can see a real performance of Carl Zeiss -- not the myth only.

I can see also 3D effect as the matter of course Smile

tf

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have that one, too - just a wonderful macro lens! Your pics
prove that it can well be used outside that range!!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, the apparent sharpness is certainly showing. I see why you have
a predilection to Contax lenses, Orio. Shocked

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laurence wrote:
I see why you have a predilection to Contax lenses, Orio

+1 Very Happy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats on another gem Smile

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio

How do you find these gems?

patrickh

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

patrickh wrote:
Orio
How do you find these gems?
patrickh

By patience. And by keeping my eye on local shops, which is where I got my best deals lately.
It was at least two years that I wanted one, since poilu first showed it's macros taken with it.
But I always found it at too high prices on Ebay. I came close to get one at the last used camera fair, but it was still a bit too high. Now I finally found one at the price that I wanted Smile

The lens is not only good at macros. It can also take terrificly realistic portraits. Have a look at this gallery:
http://www.pbase.com/gummiebear/planar_60mm_f28_makro
The portraits there remind me, for realism, of those that you took with the Apo-Lanthar 90mm
A similarity of this lens with the Apo-Lanthar is: even if it's not an Apo lens itself, it is also free from chromatic aberrations (or at least I could not find any).

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found another page with some very good macros taken with the lens:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/myrtus21/sets/72157619717413395/