Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Nikon 105/2.5 AIS- need help
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 10:33 am    Post subject: Nikon 105/2.5 AIS- need help Reply with quote

Hello,

After a long wait for the right price and condition, just received this great lens along with a FM2n Very Happy . Before loading film and trying this lens out had a quick question for anyone who owns this lens.

This is the late AIS version with the built-in Hood. I discovered that the front part of the lens can be screwed loose Rolling Eyes (the part along with the hood). I did not unscrew it fully so do not know if it can be really taken out. Nervously screwed it back tight again. Is this normal or is there some defect with the lens. Need to know this as I have an option of returning it (hope I do not have to)

Thanks for the help in advance.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A stop screw is missing (a tiny black thingie, about 1mm length, 0.5mm width). See attached pic. If you unscrew the part, you'll gain access to the optical block (you can simply pull it out of the lens). If lens disassembly is not your thing, bring it to a watch repairman, and he'll probably find the right stop screw for you.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of Nikon lenses, I have a 200/4 AI on its way to me and a 135/2.8 AIS, both have telescoping built-in lens shades. The lens hood/shade on the 135/2.8 is a bit loose and probably needs new felt to keep it tighter and smoother, I guess that the 200/4 also might need its lining renovated.

What needs to come off in order to get the hood off so one can examine it? Set screws near the front end of the lens (these are accessible via a hole drilled through the hood)?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scoo wrote:
What needs to come off in order to get the hood off so one can examine it? Set screws near the front end of the lens (these are accessible via a hole drilled through the hood)?

Most probably. I never did it myself, but once the front tube of the 105/2.5 comes off, the front screw is the only thing left on it that could be possibly holding the two parts screwed together.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aoleg wrote:
A stop screw is missing (a tiny black thingie, about 1mm length, 0.5mm width). See attached pic. If you unscrew the part, you'll gain access to the optical block (you can simply pull it out of the lens). If lens disassembly is not your thing, bring it to a watch repairman, and he'll probably find the right stop screw for you.

Thanks aoleg. Is it safe to pull out the front part out completely, I mean would it affect infinity focus or something?

What is the effect leaving the lens as it is? I think it will not affect the normal functioning of the lens.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shiladitya wrote:
Thanks aoleg. Is it safe to pull out the front part out completely, I mean would it affect infinity focus or something?

What is the effect leaving the lens as it is? I think it will not affect the normal functioning of the lens.

It won't affect anything if you leave the lens the way it is; it won't affect anything. Just be careful not to unscrew the barrel by accident.

If you unscrew the front barrel completely (make sure you point the front glass upwards, otherwise the optical block will fall out), you'll be able to pull the optical block out. Why you would want to do that is another question (cleaning dust in between elements is one of the purposes, lubricating the focusing helicoid is another). This by itself will not hunder the lens operation or mess with infinity focusing. It is quite easy to put it back in; there's just one aperture lever to match. It's easy when you see it. Make sure not to touch other screws though, as they do hold the optical assembly.

That said, the construction of many telephoto nikkors in Ai-S version is exactly the same as this 105/2.5. At least the 135mm lenses are very similar.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, had a terrorizing moment when the optical block came out (before I read your post Embarassed ), anyway no damage done except the first time i screwed it back i lost infinity, but it was easy to figure out.

At first I could not locate the stop screw position, was scratching my head when bingo it was beneath the QC sticker. Think it was missed during the last servicing. Anyway took it to the Nikon Company owned service center (thankfully it is very close to where I stay) nd got the screw replaced.

All well now Very Happy

cant wait to run some film next week. Thanks a ton for the help.