Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Auto Yashinon 5cm f2 variations
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 6:21 pm    Post subject: Auto Yashinon 5cm f2 variations Reply with quote

I like this lens a lot and have managed to get 3 of them. Upon closer examination I have spotted small differences.

The one with the serial number starting with 1 have a slightly different front plate, look at the serial numbers. Also the f numbers on the depth of field scale are finer.
When looking at the position of aperture open lever and the aperture ring they are not at the same location relative to the name plate.

The levers for opening the aperture looks like they are hand filed.

The middle lens looks taller but I think has been taken apart and put back together the wrong way. Real infinity is past the infinity mark.

If other forum members have this lens post if you have other variations or just have thoughts about this post.

Lets see what the highest and lowest serial numbers are.

Last edited by blotafton on Fri Dec 04, 2020 6:42 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Auto Yashinon 5cm f2 variations Reply with quote

blotafton wrote:
When looking at the position of aperture open lever and the aperture ring they are not at the same location relative to the name plate.

Name plate threads were probably cut by hand, at different times...you can verify by replacing the old lens' name plate with one of the others, temporarily, of course.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a delicious lens, a real jewel. Stunning build quality and great bokeh.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those got really expensive in the recent years, thanks to the one tatooed guy from YouTube...

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex TG wrote:
Those got really expensive in the recent years, thanks to the one tatooed guy from YouTube...

I saw that tatoo guy's video too and thought it would be hard to find one. But luckily enough I already had one from a cheap impulse buy from earlier without knowing what it was!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Auto Yashinon 5cm f2 variations Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:
blotafton wrote:

Name plate threads were probably cut by hand, at different times...you can verify by replacing the old lens' name plate with one of the others, temporarily, of course.

I could but I don't want to make more tool marks on them.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should include the 5cm Tominon C in your evaluation. It's the same lens.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Tominon looks so good! I'd like to have one. For the faint hearted don't check ebay prices Very Happy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blotafton wrote:
The Tominon looks so good! I'd like to have one. For the faint hearted don't check ebay prices Very Happy

hahahaha - Tomioka tax.
A bit like Leica tax.
If it even smells like a Tomioka or a Leica, the price is tripled Laugh 1 Laugh 1 Laugh 1 Laugh 1 Laugh 1

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I have two of these lenses, and if so one is for sale. Wink The numbers are 333335 ( which I definitely have ) and 330218 ( which is on my list but not in the cabinet and not marked as sold Confused )

Both of these lenses had the sticky stop down problem, which I cured by removing the black cover plate on the back of the lens, then thoroughly cleaning the track that the brass piece slides along. I tried lubricating with light oil, but that went sticky on cold days. My view is it's best left unlubricated and spotlessly clean.

I have a similar Takumar, which is sometimes confused with the Yashinon, but it is 55 / 1.8 and is entirely different, the Yashinon has 6 blades and the Takumar has 10, but they are remarkably heavy for such tiny lenses and of very similar size and style. Both are wonderful lenses.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:
If it even smells like a Tomioka or a Leica, the price is tripled

There has been a trend of calling every Yashinon, and every 55mm a Tomioka, to the point of absurd.

Also, recently I've been seeing an increasing number of sellers who ask M money for R lenses.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:
I think I have two of these lenses, and if so one is for sale. Wink The numbers are 333335 ( which I definitely have ) and 330218 ( which is on my list but not in the cabinet and not marked as sold Confused )

Both of these lenses had the sticky stop down problem, which I cured by removing the black cover plate on the back of the lens, then thoroughly cleaning the track that the brass piece slides along. I tried lubricating with light oil, but that went sticky on cold days. My view is it's best left unlubricated and spotlessly clean.

I have a similar Takumar, which is sometimes confused with the Yashinon, but it is 55 / 1.8 and is entirely different, the Yashinon has 6 blades and the Takumar has 10, but they are remarkably heavy for such tiny lenses and of very similar size and style. Both are wonderful lenses.

Highest number so far! Sometimes it can take a few days for me to find a lens, hopefully it will show up Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

333335 is the highest of the two I should have, it's the one I still have. Rolling Eyes ( I think I had a few lenses stolen at the last Camera Fair Twisted Evil )

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A later variant still of the lens is for sale, if your pockets are deep enough (no affiliation with myself):

link to ebay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-AS-IS-Yashica-J-3-Black-Film-Camera-w-Auto-Yashinon-5cm-f-2-From-Japan/164496647861?hash=item264cc3a6b5:g:4YcAAOSwYddfKBjo

This lens looks like a black version of the Tominon badged same lens which was sold with the Wards SLR 600 camera (apparently a Yashica made unit). There are several Tominon lenses for sale on ebay with serials in the 39x xxx range, suggesting these were manufactured after Yashica stopped using the lens and moved on to something else.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 9:36 pm    Post subject: Auto Yashinon 5cm f2 variations Reply with quote

These later M42 lenses used the same optical design:

Yashinon DX 50mm 2.0

Yashinon DS 50mm 2.0

These both can cause mirror interference at and near infinity when mounted on non-Yashica SLRs.

NOTE: The later Yashinon DS 50mm 1.9 was a different optical design (6-4 vs previous 6-5) and did not cause this interference

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW, I recorded the serial numbers of my lenses.

1) Auto Yashinon 5cm f/2 --- 124202
2) Auto Yashinon 5cm f/2 --- 323852
3) Tominon C 5cm f/2 --- 393516

BTW, number one has had a harder life than the others, and has a lot of wear and tear, but like the others it still functions flawlessly. These lenses are extremely robust mechanically. Even the grease still feels brand new in all three of them.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found a scrap of paper with a list of stuff I sold at the Camera Fair last summer and my 'missing' lens was sold on the nearly mint Yashica Reflex 35 I bought it with, for £50, which was a bargain for the lucky purchaser, but still a good profit for me. I still have a Yashica TL Electro for the lens I still have.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far we have serial numbers starting with 1 and some more starting with 3. But no 2 or 4. I wonder if there are any starting with 2.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's another shot of my Tominon, FWIW:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's one that got away:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/233858468152

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M. Valdemar wrote:

Look on Yahoo Japan via Buyee. They appear regularly and sometimes very low prices. Saw one go for 1500 yen or so just last week

https://buyee.jp/item/search/query/yashinon%205cm%20f2%20-minister?sort=cbids&order=a&translationType=1

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D1N0 wrote:
M. Valdemar wrote:

Look on Yahoo Japan via Buyee. They appear regularly and sometimes very low prices. Saw one go for 1500 yen or so just last week

https://buyee.jp/item/search/query/yashinon%205cm%20f2%20-minister?sort=cbids&order=a&translationType=1

I guess it’s a fairly common lens in Japan. Nevertheless, a very nice piece of engineering, even for the usual Ebay prices.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

auto-takumars 55mm F2's are even cheaper and I like there bokeh better:p

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D1N0 wrote:
auto-takumars 55mm F2's are even cheaper and I like there bokeh better:p

There is a guy on Youtube called Zenography that reviews lenses and I think he has coined a new term. It's the "unsweet spot" where the bokeh on some lenses turn from smooth to not so smooth. Anyway I personally like the unsweet spot and strong bokeh edges.

His channel is like wine testing but for lenses, quite entertaining.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Yashinon Bokeh is more like the Pancolar 50/1.8 I think than the Takumar.

Can you tell them apart?