Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Fuji GX680
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:54 am    Post subject: Fuji GX680 Reply with quote

Hey all. I just won a GX680....the original version with the 100mm f/4 lens. It hasn't arrived yet. I've been having a hard time finding a lot of info on the camera. I understand the basics....6x8...tilt...swing...but do any of you know of a better site resource for the camera?
It seems that the forums and sites related to this camera are all down. Flickr has a bare minimum(maybe 100) pictures tagged as taken with this camera. Fuji's website acts as if this camera never existed.
I'm just looking to learn some of the cameras eccentricities, quirks and characteristics beyond "it's huge" and "it tilts".

Thanks

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats you are the envy if many with this fine rig.
I googles quickly and there were many hits.
Surprisingly nothing at camerapedia.org .
Looking forward to your samples and feedback.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/cameras/gx680iii.shtml

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations! You've just bought yourself one helluva camera. It may be relatively obscure compared to Hassys and Mamiyas, but it performs with the best of 'em. The Fujinon lenses are excellent optics.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes indeed ! These are highly respected cameras.. Smile

Have fun and be sure to post a few pics.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips. Just got the camera and unfortunately it was a little busted up in the front. The portion that holds the lens to the rails and allows for the movements had come off. The screws that held it on were weak and 5 of the 6 had the heads of the screws pop right off. I've gotten it rigged back on to the point where it will function and will let you know how it performs after I get some film back.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A quick pic with the GX680. The thing handles like a brick. More later.

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I reacently have obtained the whole set of the camera with the standart 135mm lens for the relatively reasonable price

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TOJ-62-g-Excellent-FUJI-GX680S-FUJINON-135mm-f5-6-Holder-From-Japan-/151624128500?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item234d8097f4&nma=true&si=wr%252B0zwxaDE3i%252FyurJzegM2NfbFY%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

The condition of the camera is perfect. However in reality the dimensions, and the weight very much surpassed all my boldest expectations. I was looking for the reasonably manual camera, rather the for “the heavy machinegun”.
In addition I was unpleasantly surprised to discover, that it needs the especial battery. Not that it would be difficult to build the replacement from AA accumulators, but it will take some time, and the manual work. And the backup batteries in the film backs also are replicable only by the disassembling of the item. Not too great problem for me, but steel the certain headache.

Also I missed that it is the “S” model, which means no movements.

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, still -- despite the minor drawbacks, you've got yourself a helluva system there. I fantasize about buying a GX680 III system periodically, but then I also wonder what on Earth I'd do with it after buying it. The GX680 is a quintessential studio camera, and trying to use it as a field camera -- which is more the work I'm inclined to do -- would probably be an exercise in frustration.

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
but then I also wonder what on Earth I'd do with it after buying it.

Well, at least it might be used for the studio portraits. I obtained for it the additional portrait lens (210mm) by $120, and so, am going try to use it in that direction. Whether it would be able to be used outdoor still is for me the unresolved question. Then I will try it. Will be quite useful experience, doesn’t it? Very Happy

However I am not certain yet, whether I should to add to it the angle finder (it is sold on Ebay periodically for something around $100)

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Batteries in the film backs, of course, had been dead long ago. Fortunately I discovered the pefect description, how to disassemble it, and change the battery:

http://www.thierrygruximages.com/perso/gx680.html

The replacement battery I easily obtained at the local market for $7.5

Also I am experimenting with the power souse for the camera. There it the half finished device (it need to be put into the box with the electrical contacts, which I assembly at the present):

The main idea, and the general size for the bottom plate I took from that page:

http://www.gitarrenklinik.de/gx-680-battery-holder/