Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

The times they are a'changing... ;)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:25 pm    Post subject: The times they are a'changing... ;) Reply with quote

It used to be that: (2.8/42)

Olympus 35RC by LucisPictor, on Flickr

And now, it's this: (2.8/45)

Sigma EX DG 2.8/30 @ NEX-7 by LucisPictor, on Flickr

This is the Sigma EX 2.8/30 (for E-mount) which arrived today.

Guys, I am really thrilled about this lens: small, pretty well built, fast and a top performer!

I'm going to shoot with it nex weekend and show you some shots then...

Last edited by LucisPictor on Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:32 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see you're subscribed to LFI Smile
Congrats on the lens, although an autofocus one... Evil or Very Mad Laughing

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh yes i would be very interested to see the 30mm sigma and i would love to see the 19mm sigma hope they are good

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh yes i would be very interested to see the 30mm sigma and i would love to see the 19mm sigma hope they are good

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: The times they are a'changing... ;) Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:

Guys, I am really thrilled about this lens: small, pretty well built, fast and a top performer!

I'm going to shoot with it nex weekend and show you some shots then...

Looking forwards to seeing some shots, from the few sources Ive seen on the web so far this lens looks like it might be a good one, especially when you consider its price. Keep us updated!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
I see you're subscribed to LFI Smile

Yes. That's the best magazine as far as images are concerned!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good luck carsten! if nothing else, thats a very pretty rig!
tony

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sigma and good are two words that don't fit together in my mind.

Look forward to samples though, maybe they have have improved since the 80s.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Sigma and good are two words that don't fit together in my mind.

That I cannot confirm at all!

I have used several Sigma lenses and they were at least good, most of them very good!!
But they were all modern lenses - later than the 80s...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My relation with Sigma has been problematic, too.
I had Sigma lenses from the 80s and from this 21st century as well.
None of them I kept, except one which I was not able to sell Laughing then I stopped trying also because it's sort of a memory souvenir.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

one of the best and most loved lenses i ever had was the sigma ex dc 10-20mm that i paired with my first dslr, the sony a100. i still count many of those pictures among my best and personal favorites. but that was the only sigma i had. i tried to duplicate the experience with my old 5d and the famous canon L 17-40mm and honestky that much more expensive and reknown lens didnt come close to the sigma. again, that was pretty much my sigma experience.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rbelyell wrote:
one of the best and most loved lenses i ever had was the sigma ex dc 10-20mm that i paired with my first dslr, the sony a100. i still count many of those pictures among my best and personal favorites. but that was the only sigma i had.

I too had the Sigma 10-20 - price was the best one could hope for but I ended up desperate with it because of the distortion and the corner performance.
In my copy central sharpness was excellent but it's not a portrait lens, corners are important in a superwide.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the curse of being a really good photographer is to have a greater sense of awareness. not being a really good photographer myself, if anyone had asked me i would have said that edge to edge sharpness was something that impressed me about the sigma 10-20. i also felt i was able to control distortion to a better degree than i could on my canon L 17-40. maybe thats because i used that lens on FF and the sigma on a 1.5x crop? or maybe like the issue of corner sharpness, my eye is really not so good....but i did love that lens. sometimes 'ignorance is bliss' indeed! Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are the Sigma lenses I have gathered experiences with:

Name of the lens (rate out of 10)

MF:
Sigma Zoom-0 II 3.5-4.5/28-85 MC (7/10) - Pretty good for an old zoom lens, but not comparable to modern lenses. Very well built, though.

AF zooms:
Sigma EX 1:3.5-4.5/15-30 DG (8.5/10) - Much better than it is mostly said to be. I love to have it for my 5D!
Sigma DC 1:2.8-4.5/17-70 SLD Macro (8.5/10) - I loved that zoom lens, very versatile. Sold it for more focal range.
Sigma DC 1:3.8-5.6/18-125 OS HSM (8.5/10) - Until some days ago it was my "universal" lens for my 40D. Sold it to refund the new acquisitions.
Sigma Zoom-Y AF 3.5-4.2/21-35 MC (7.5/10) - Used to have it in Nikon AF mount and sold it. Now I regret it.
Sigma Zoom AF 3.5-5.6/24-70 UC Asph. (6.5/10) - Not very well built but a decent performer nonetheless.
Sigma AF 3.8-5.6/28-105 UC-III Asph. (7/10) - Definitely OK for a standard zoom. Had two copies, one in EF- and one in SA-mount.
(And I very shortly had a SA tele zoom lens but only could use it with the SA300 and did not use it much.)

AF primes:
Sigma EX DG 1.8/24 Asph. Makro (9/10) - Still one of my favourite AF-lenses!
Sigma AF Macro 2.8/50 (8.5/10) - Amazingly sharp. The only prime lens my father kept for his Fuji S2.

And now, the third "EX" lens is added: Sigma EX 2.8/30.

As you can see, I was pretty satisfied with most of those lenses. The "EX"-versions and even the new "DC"-versions are well built and perform well. The older ones are not that good, but still more than just useable.

Last edited by LucisPictor on Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:13 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rbelyell wrote:
the curse of being a really good photographer is to have a greater sense of awareness. not being a really good photographer myself, if anyone had asked me i would have said that edge to edge sharpness was something that impressed me about the sigma 10-20. i also felt i was able to control distortion to a better degree than i could on my canon L 17-40. maybe thats because i used that lens on FF and the sigma on a 1.5x crop? or maybe like the issue of corner sharpness, my eye is really not so good....but i did love that lens. sometimes 'ignorance is bliss' indeed! Very Happy

Laughing but I don't think it depends on being a good photographer, simply, we all have our idiosincracies. Mine is that I can't stand distortion in wide angle lenses Wink
About the corner sharpness, maybe I got a bad copy. I don't know. On Canon forums I read of people who buy a lens 4-5 times and keep sending it back to the factory, until they find a good copy.
I'll never be that kind of user.
For me, basically, a lens has one chance with me - if it misses it, it's over.
I only very rarely made exceptions to this rule. I did it once for the Jupiter-9, but only because I found it very cheap (around 50 Euros)
I will never buy/sell/buy/sell over and over again lenses that cost 500 Euros or more, in order to find a good copy.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've only used Sigma lenses from the 80s, both re-branded as Prakticar. In the AP road tests of the day (remember the stickler Mr Bell?) they got "good" and "very good" ratings. None of the photos I ever took with them suggested they were in any way inferior to their contemporaries.

I think a quick look at Bob's Kodachrome images in the slide gallery will show their potential Wink

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

did you use yours on FF? that might be a reason also. i used mine on 1.5x crop cam--edges i think have to be better than on FF. probably distortion less too?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used them on APS (SD10, 350D, 40D, Nikon D1, Fuji S2, NEX 3 and 7) and FF (5D).

This hasn't influenced my findings.

(While with some other lenses it did! I loved the Vivitar 2/28 close focus on my 350D but it was really poor on my 5D.)