Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Help Repairing a Vivitar 135mm
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 12:10 pm    Post subject: Help Repairing a Vivitar 135mm Reply with quote

Hi everyone. I have now for almost 3 months a Vivitar 135mm f/2.8 close focus which unfortunately has pretty bad fungus inside and I can't seem to find a service locally willing to take it apart and clean it. What do you suggest? Is it extremely hard to disassemble? Is it noob friendly or you got to have some experience. I really want to clean it because I had extremely nice results with it, but I have to correct the contrast all the time because of the fungus. A last resort would be sending it to a member of the forum who knows these things for repairing, of course the shipping and the cost of the repair is on my part.
Here are some shots I have taken with it and as you can see it really does worth the effort
http://www.flickr.com/photos/29361204@N05/sets/72157622166575800/

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very hard to say, that is not a common lens - its the 135 macro by Komine right ? That lens is worth a good amount.

Where is the fungus ? if its behind the front element or group you might be able to easily clean it yourself if the lens has the usual name ring arrangement.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 for the Luisalegria advice ... The pictures of the bees are really great ...

What about posting some pictures of the lens to show where the fungus is ?

Cheers

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have right now the lens on me, it's home, as I study in a different town. I will post some pictures at the end of this week

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No that I look again those blemishes don't really seem like fungus, but the problem is still the same: it needs cleaning and it is dirtier than the photos show. Anyone up for the job? Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

doesn't look that bad!!

it is the Komine.

try getting a rubber sink drain plug, to friction-screw off the front name plate. this will let you get the front group off. Most likely the dirt is on the back of the front group. You can use "Joy" dishwashing liquid (my favorite!) applied with your pinky finger. That usually gets even fungus off.

Beyond that.. (more so if the dirt is on the group behind the iris) I would leave it alone.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing is it's dirty on the back too not only on the front so there it's more complicated

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello there,
Where are you located?

It's easier to tell if one of us can do the job for you if we know where you are!

As Luisalegria says it is the rarer lens, and and worth saving - plus it doesn't look so bad as to be uncleanable, it just needs some care and know-how in doing the job.

Regards

Angus

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I should have told you first. I'm from Romania

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello there,
If you haven't found any place local to clean this lens for you, then I will do it for you if you are willing to send it to me in the UK.

Send me a PM with your contact details if you would like me to do this.

Regards

Angus

PS, if you look up some of my posts you will be able to assess whether or not I could do the job!