Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Soligor 250/4.5 - any thoughts?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 7:52 pm    Post subject: Soligor 250/4.5 - any thoughts? Reply with quote

Hi All,

Just a quick question. I recently came across an example of this T-mount (TX-mount?) lens. I've found tangential references to it here and there on the Web, but nothing more (although that may reflect a deficiency in my search skills rather than any real lack of information out there). I'm just curious: does anyone have any thoughts about IQ (or any other opinions to share)?

Thanks,

Jon

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In re the 4.5/250 Soligor -

There were at least 4 T-mount versions and one T4-mount version sold under the Soligor brand. I have 2 of the T-mounts and the T4.

The preset T-mount versions are of very similar design, though from different makers. I think that Allied Impex(Soligor) put the same spec out to alternate makers as they swithced contracts from one to the other during the 1960's, in an attempt to maintain a consistent product line. I also suspect that these were all based off an original Tamron design.

The first of the T-mount versions was made by Tamron (Taisei Kogaku), and I find mine quite a nice piece.

Another was made by Komine (Nittoh Kogaku) I believe, and it also is quite sharp, though it has a longer minimum focus than the Tamron.

Another was probably made by Tokina (Tokyo Koki), which I haven't managed to obtain.

Yet another was of an unknown make, easily spotted from the distinctive "eared" chrome aperture ring much like the later automatics. I have had bad luck with others in this line.

The automatic version with the T4 interchangable mount was made by Tokina, and it is the heaviest and bulkiest of all of them. I find it an excellent performer, though others have panned it as just average.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello.

I have this model, but I don't know exactly what version it is :

and here are some shots' samples :

1- wide open

1 bis- at f8

2- wide open

2 bis- at f8

I like Soligors.
There is better than this one but it is quite a pleasure to ply around with this one.

Be careful when facing the light. It's better to stop it down, but when wide open the effect obtained could be kind of artistic search.

3- Wide open

3- stopped down

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I was hoping you might look in on the thread - thank you so much for the information! Can I impose with a follow-up question?

This particular lens is a preset, with two brushed-chrome bands with rectangular cut-out "windows" (not dissimilar in principle to the design of the silver-and-black Yashinon M42 lenses) through which the focus distance and aperture show. Does that description (poor though it is) suggest a specific model, by any chance?

Many thanks!

Jon

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Olivier,

That looks like the Komine version.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Univer,

Do you have a picture ?

From your description its a new one as a Soligor-brand - a fifth variant 4.5/250 Soligor !

I have seen something like that perhaps sold as a Vivitar. It looked something like a Sankor.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Luis. Wink

On the front lens ring is written : SOLIGOR TELEPHOTO 1:4.5 f=250mm N° H27793 LENS MADE IN JAPAN

Aperture from 4.5 to 32
Minimum focus range = 4.5m (15 feet)
No included hood
Iris : 15 blades

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does it have the O-L switch on the side,Take a photo of the mount and post it here.This from my T4 90-230soligor

Last edited by mo on Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:49 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Olivier,

The "H" serial number seems to be a code for Komine on these.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Luis. Smile

This is nealy the same as yours, shown here :
http://forum.mflenses.com/soligor-250-4-5-t-mount-t9790,highlight,komine+250.html

The only difference I see is that the aperture ring has no figures on mine. Instead, there is : O<------"red dot"------>C
O for open and C for close.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All,

Well, I don't have a picture of the lens, but I can offer a bit more information (along with an apology).

This lens is owned by a local fellow, and I've had the opportunity to handle it just one time. He described it as a Soligor, and I had no reason to doubt him (the 250mm FL certainly sounds right for a Soligor) - and no reason to verify its identity by closer inspection.

As it turns out, Luis, your "Vivitar" comment is right on the money, because the owner of the lens, in response to a follow-up question, has now confirmed that it is in fact a Vivitar and not a Soligor. (If I remember correctly, we would sometimes get the two mixed up even back in the 60s.) So this is not a heretofore unknown variant (sorry!), and I guess it must be the Sankor.

One interesting fact: the serial number of the lens begins with a "6", which should make it an Olympus-manufactured lens; but it's certainly very different from the other 6-series T-mount Vivitars I've owned and seen.

So let me rephrase the original question: any thoughts on the 250/4.5 Vivitar?

Profound apologies for the unintended confusion! Embarassed

Cheers,

Jon