Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Day out with Helios 44-3
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 8:40 pm    Post subject: Day out with Helios 44-3 Reply with quote

This is my first MF lense and I am a beginner at MF lenses, but still I want to show some of the pictures I took today and hope it gives you an idea about the quality of the lense. These pictures are taken with Canon EOS450D. I did not note the aperture values but mostly F2.

There is PP only on the last two pictures, all pictures taken at hand, I have minor focusing issues as you can see Smile

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi

nice lens! many people on the forum love the helios. i am waiting to receive mine, hopefully soon--a silver 44-2.

i like the color rendition and esp like #2--thats a nicely framed shot and the shallow depth of field of the lens works really well with that subject.

thanks for sharing and hope to see more of your work.

tony

ps you may want to consider putting some of your equipment in your signature line--people enjoy seeing that stuff!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the suggestion, it is done.

I need to add one thing about this lense. This one is made earlier than 1986 and it is told that these old ones are much better than new ones.

Old one has problems with M42 mount as the focus ring stucks on the adaptor. In another thread there is my story about fixing it.

http://forum.mflenses.com/helios-44-3-m42-bayonet-problem-t22268.html

If your willing to solve that problem, try to get your hands on an earlier version of this lens.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi

yes, i believe i have purchased an old one, so says the seller. it is in silver, and i have not often seen them in silver. i will post pictures of it when i receive it--hopefully in the next week or two. thank you for anticipating that problem and proposing a solution. according to the seller i should not have that problem. we will see!

tony

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm as far I know the older ones all have that problem but maybe yours is different (silver I have seen before also). Looking forward to see your pictures taken with your Helios.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice series, the helios make magics, you can feel the air

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good set your work to make the lens fit was worth it Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poilu : You are right, I felt that with the first pictures I took using this lense. After the kit lense this was a huge step. Only if I had AF confirm chip adaptor or better manuel focusing abilities the pictures would be bit sharper, still not bad though.

Poolhall : Thank you, I am glad you like it. It was totally worth it Smile

Two more pictures, one portrait and one close up.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what a lovely portrait! i bet she is the apple of your eye!

btw i know what you mean about difficulty focusing. it is a persistent problem, even with the auto confirm. many in this forum have put in different focusing screens to help, mostly split screen. one i understand is very good is made by katz eye. unfortunately they dont make one for my camera, but do seem to make them for most other popular ones.

as for focus confirm, i have it, but as many others note, that only gets you in the ballpark, it is not exact. you still have to make tiny adjustments by eye.

i did get a 1.15 viewfinder magnifier made by tenpa in japan for about $25 usd, and it comes with a large rubber eye cup. i found that helped make focusing a little easier, and the eye cup keeps out the sun when focusing, and its well made. i found it on ebay.

feel free to contact me if i can help.
tony

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely series from a truly surprising lens. It is certainly developing quite a following in this forum

patrickh

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rbelyell : I will look for those focusing screens. That product you mentioned sounds promising, can you post some link to ebay or maybe some website? Sounds like a solution for me Smile

patrickh : I must admit that I bought this lense after checking many reviews on this forum and thanks to the forum I am very happy with the lense so far. As this is my first MF lense, maybe I should wait more to decide but for the money paid, it is a gem.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi

heres the link to katz eye:

http://www.katzeyeoptics.com/

heres the bay link for the tenpa vf magnifier:

http://cgi.ebay.com/TENPA-1-36x-ViewFinder-Magnifier-Eyecup-Eyepiece-4-DSLR_W0QQitemZ280422541515QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item414a7c68cb#ht_5545wt_1167

good luck!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great series. Wonderful lens. I like all of your images.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You think x1.36 is good enough?

After quick search based on "viewfinder" keyword, i find some x2.3 versions. I wonder which one would be more beneficial.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JeffZen : Thanks man, your set with the same lense is great too. The doll pictures kinda scared me (comes from the horror movie with the doll i guess)
Smile

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the 1.36 made a difference for me. the problem w 2x, which i also have, is you have to remove it to recompose the picture because you cant make any judgement about what will be in the frame. i found this annoying. you might also consider changing the screen because i think that will make the biggest difference.