Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Carl Zeiss Jena Triotar 50mm f/3.5
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:51 pm    Post subject: Carl Zeiss Jena Triotar 50mm f/3.5 Reply with quote

I just sold my TAIR-11A to create some fund. I got this lens from the usual antique shop. It is so unique that it caught my eyes. After removing 2 M39 extension tubes and mounted on my E-3, I realise it could achieve infinity. I am so delighted that I bought it immediately and brought home to clean it up. It comes with the yellow filter and the 2 M39 extension tubes. Now the questions, what kind of camera is this lens for ? Is this lens in some sort of self created mount and helicoid ? It look so crude and simple.

The lens says :

Zeiss Ikon A-G Dresden

Carl Zeiss Jena Nr. 1647186 Triotar 1:3,5 f= 5cm

Helicoid is seen

Unknown amount of blades that formed a perfect iris

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sample photos :

Black and white mode , with the yellow filter screwed in.

Color mode, without the yellow filter screwed in.

All photos taken wide opened.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lens is from about 1925, which would match the mount. By type, that is a common twenties focusing mount, affordable version, as I'd expect it on a "prosumer" grade SLR. However, SLRs back then were at least 6x9cm, with a long mirror, so that they fit nothing shorter than about 120mm - so that that lens must be from sth. else.

I am not aware of an affordable 35mm camera of that vintage with such a crude focusing mechanism, and a 50mm Triotar would not cover 4x6.5cm and other pre 35mm small formats. Might be a lower grade (amateur or industrial) cine lens - the focal length is right, and these cameras were wooden with flange mounted lenses back then...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Sevo for the information.

So it is a mix and match lens with helicoid and mount. It is M39 mount.