Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Shape of Speed (vintage cars)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:56 pm    Post subject: Shape of Speed (vintage cars) Reply with quote

These were taken at the Portland Art Museums exhibition "The Shape of Speed" displaying 1930's and 1940's cars and motorcycles which were influenced by the aerodynamics push of that era. IMHO some of the most gorgeous automobiles ever made. Camera Sony a7ii, lens Zeiss 16-35 F4 VarioTessar. Flash photography was forbidden (and surprisingly not one patron violated the protocol!) These are ever so slightly contrast bumped and resized to match mfl posting requirements.

1935 Hoffman "X-8"

1936 Cord 812SC Westchester Sedan

I'll add more later time allowing!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1939 Panhard and Levassor type x81 dynamic sedan

Perhaps the most beautiful car ever made:
1938 Delahaye 135m Roadster

1937 Airomobile

1937 Lincoln-Zephyr Coupe

1934 Chrsyler Imperial Series CV airflow Coupe

1938 Talbot-Lago T150C-SS:
I've got a few more I'll add if I get time. Anybody close enough to the Portland Oregon Art Museum this is just an amazing collection of auto-art. Well worth the 20 dollar admission.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both the Delahaye and the Talbot-Lago you've shown were provided bodies by
Figoni & Falaschi coachbuilders. Delahaye and Talbot had many of their
vehicles bodied by F&F, and they are simply stunning to view.
Thank you! so very much for showing these to us!

My favorite is a 1939 Delahaye, a one-of-a-kind car, made exclusively for display
at the 1939 New York World's Fair. You'll recognize it if you've seen the Transformers movies.
Only one was ever made.

Another fantastic example is a 1938 Darrac/Talbot-Lago T-150C Teardrop Coupe,
displayed at the 2010 Meadow Brook Concours in Michigan.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, seeing these super-stylish cars of the 1930s makes me wonder what happened by the 1950s. American cars looked like turds until the late 1950s, when a style explosion of sorts occurred. Was it WWII that stunted the car manufacturers, not only in terms of production, but design as well?

The only manufacturer (of non-exotics, e.g. Ferrari) that I can think of offhand that continued producing very stylish vehicles throughout the 1950s was Jaguar -- with their 120s and 140s, which were quite reminiscent of the earlier cars with their swoopy lines.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, interesting how WWII totally messed up the creativity. Unfortunately lots of good minds and creative talent edited from our cultures during that conflict.

heres a couple more.

1939 Graham Supercharged Coupe "Sharknose"

1942 Alfa Romeo 6c 2500 SS Bertone Berlinetta:

1938 Mercedes-Benz 540K Stromlinienwagen:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Like 1 Like 1