Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Panasonic Lumix TZ6 or TZ7...?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 5:24 pm    Post subject: Panasonic Lumix TZ6 or TZ7...? Reply with quote

I'm looking for a decent, cheapish pocket snapper to replace my Canon PowerShot A80 (4mp).

I like the look of the Lumix TZ6 or TZ7 - the Leica lenses are appealing and the 10X optical zoom and 12mp sensor seem plenty.

Can anyone briefly tell me what the major differences are between these two models - is it worth spending the extra for the TZ7...?

Also, any other possibilities I may have overlooked from other manufacturers around the £200 mark...?

Many thanks

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Panasonic Lumix TZ6 or TZ7...? Reply with quote

OM wrote:

I like the look of the Lumix TZ6 or TZ7 - the Leica lenses are appealing and the 10X optical zoom and 12mp sensor seem plenty.

Can anyone briefly tell me what the major differences are between these two models - is it worth spending the extra for the TZ7...?

Also, any other possibilities I may have overlooked from other manufacturers around the £200 mark...?

Many thanks

I know the TZ5 ... handy camera, but very agressive noise reduction Sad

Not sure if Leica engineering still has anything to do with the Panasonic lenses.

Personally I would take a look at a Fuji f200exr ... less zoom range, but I think a better cam for the photographer.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi
dont know what your price range is, but my eye has been on the canon s90: 28-105mm/2.0 constant; customizable lens ring; decent low light; usual bells&whistles. new about $390usd/used (only out a few months) less than $300.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice.

I've had a look at the Canon S90 but it's more than I really wanted to spend (best price I found here in the UK is £325) and only has a 3.8X zoom.

The TZ6 has 12X zoom (I got the zoom and megapixels mixed up in my original post) and 10mp but uses a slightly smaller sensor than the TZ7, using less of the sensor for wide-angle shots whereas the TZ7 uses all of the available larger sensor.

The rear screen on the TZ6 is smaller than the TZ7 and has lower resolution.
Also, although it's less important to me, the TZ7 has much better video performance including the ability to use zoom for video and HDMI output.

I think I may stump up for the 7 - it's around £215 here new and looks the business.

Smile

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OM wrote:

I think I may stump up for the 7 - it's around £215 here new and looks the business.

Smile

As long as you don't go above 200 ISO, I think you'll be pleased with the results of this camera (the TZ7). If you want to shoot in lower light often, you could consider the Fuji f200exr.

Good luck!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, good point. i really think it depends on what you want to do w the camera. outdoors, i think your choices are fine. inside i dont think you will be so happy.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe the TZ7 has a much better LCD (460K dots vs. 230K), and also takes HD movies, if that's important. I believe the TZ6 also does NOT have the multi-aspect sensor of the TZ7. Check out DPR: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/compare_post.asp?method=sidebyside&cameras=panasonic_dmczs1%2Cpanasonic_dmczs3&show=all