Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Kiron MC7 7-element Teleconverter w/ Biotar 75
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 4:38 am    Post subject: Kiron MC7 7-element Teleconverter w/ Biotar 75 Reply with quote

I thought I would give this celebrated Kiron TC a try, as I happened to pick one up in a lot some time ago, fortunately in PK mount. This is reputed to be the best available TC, or close to it. I have about a dozen TC's, and I rarely use them, having a good prime for all purposes, but what the hey.

I thought about what lenses to try it with, and of course the Biotar 1.5/75 is a natural choice - it must be my best lens, probably. If the TC is going to degrade performance, lets have a known-good starting point. As a backup I used my RMC Tokina 2.8/135 in PK mount, which is a perfectly fine average lens.

So the Biotar becomes an f/3 150mm, and the Tokina an f/5.6 270mm

This is not a technical review, it is more an aesthetic one.

The first impression is that wide open it adds a lot of chromatic aberration (CA), as a fuzziness or "glow", particularly off-center, and worse towards the edges. Secondly, its adds a color fringe to out-of-focus highlights and other light areas.

Sharpness in the center is still quite good wide open.

The bizarre bokeh of the Biotar is improved a little by the TC, but its still there.

The wonderful contrast and pop of the Biotar is still there.

Surprisingly it seems to work better with the Tokina 135, introducing less CA, even wide-open. Wide open performance is also about as good as the Tokina can deliver by itself.

The best results are stopped down of course, at f/4 (f/8 with the TC), results seem to be as sharp as one can expect with the Biotar alone.

And also surprisingly the Biotar with the TC becomes a very decent close-focus lens, which the Biotar on its own is not.

A crop to illustrate bokeh, and try out some PP. I reduced CA by playing with the GIMP GEGL mono-mixer tool

"The bird" at f/1.5 -(f/3)

"The bird" at f/1.5 - (f/3)

crop -

f/4 - (f/Cool -

crop -

With the Tokina - f/2.8 (f/5.6)

crop -

Various -

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that is some performance for an extender!

patrickh

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, the sharpness is certainly nothing to sneeze at! Quite interesting bokeh in the first photo -- a lot like those produced by a mirror, eh?

Curious -- do you own a Vivitar 7-element macro TC? If so, how would you compare your Kiron with the Vivitar? I've always been a big fan of the macro Vivitar's performance.

I don't believe I've ever run across a Kiron TC. I'll have to keep my eyes peeled in the future.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HI Luis.

All very fine, very "Luis".

Thanks for sharing these greats pics.

They changed my optical about the TC's.

I heard that the 100/135 mm. range is the limited to obtain a good IQ using a not dedicated TC. And in the other side, the 35/40 mm.

Regards. Rino.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I haven't found a use for my three 2X extenders, as I have a zoom and primes to 210mm so it's only use would be for say 300mm plus...but without IS you would need a shutter speed of 1/500 sec and with a 2 stop loss is very limited with 100 or 200 asa film, for best sharpness.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tc can be useful when in need, nice results for web use

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excalibur wrote:
Well I haven't found a use for my three 2X extenders, as I have a zoom and primes to 210mm so it's only use would be for say 300mm plus...but without IS you would need a shutter speed of 1/500 sec and with a 2 stop loss is very limited with 100 or 200 asa film, for best sharpness.

Heh. When I was shooting slow slide film I never let that slow me down. Kodachrome 64, 600mm f/8 mirror, Vivitar macro TC -- we're talking 1200mm at 1/60 second under bright sun conditions. So there was always a stout tripod, a shutter release, and mirror lock-up as part of the mix. Oh, and a plain ground glass focusing screen. Still, I managed to get some good shots with that ungainly rig.