Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Nikkor 20mm f2.8 AIS
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:30 pm    Post subject: Nikkor 20mm f2.8 AIS Reply with quote

I got this lens on nice price , due scratches. Any opinion experience ?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was one for sale last winter here in Helsinki, I took it out for some shooting but decided not to buy it when I sat at a café and browsed test photos. EUR 315 was price, I think too much despite 20mm wideness.

Good: good to excellent sharp in center to edge at f/8-f/11, extreme corners a little downgraded but not too much.

Bad: Maybe CA was exaggerated by sky/snow/building contrasts, I don't know, but I found too much even after removal with post-processing.

Quite typical heavy vignetting wide open, a little at f/8. Biggest no-no for me was distortion, it gave funny wavy horizons as well as vertical building lines in the images. Maybe not bad for landscape but I would avoid using for horizons and straight vertical/horizontal lines - too complex to correct with Photoshop.

I can dig into archive harddisk from last winter for samples and post. I tested on full-frame D3 so crop factor users perhaps will not notice issues that I found.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought only for 70 EUR I hope it will be good couple of my Nikon FA.Let we see. I am planning to use around F8-F11.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked that's certainly a very good price!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Esox lucius wrote:
Shocked that's certainly a very good price!

Certainly at USA auction.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bargain! If you spot another one that cheap, get it for me...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sevo wrote:
Bargain! If you spot another one that cheap, get it for me...

If I remember , (mostly I do ) I will inform you in pm.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
I bought only for 70 EUR I hope it will be good .

70 euro is a very good price.

I hear that flare resistance with the sun in frame, and CA is not so good for this design (a case where the slower lenses are better) on the other hand the coatings are better than the earlier Nikkors s contrast should be good, and lower flare when the sun is not directly in the image. However, I have never tried a copy of this lens myself.

Interested to see your samples.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own one since 1991, bought new from the local Nikon rep.
All comments posted above are valid, however, when used properly this lens can make the difference, I personally use it for internal architectural shots whenever space is an issue.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Chris! I am not worry about flare , so I believe this is a good lens as many from Nikon.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is better than the various 3.5es in the distortion and contrast departments, and not that much worse anywhere else. The main reason it is less popular is that the 3.5es double as outstanding macro lenses when used with reversal ring and bellows - where the 2.8 can't compete thanks to its "moving elements" construction.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Attila,

I have this lens for sometimes now.. and have a couple of rolls shot with it. Not classic test style images, but rather normal shooting in normal circumstances. I have yet to scan these images (shot with both slide and print films with my F4). I am hoping I shall have some images to show in a few days.

My first impression was it is a fine lens. But as I shoot only film, controlling the extereme WA perspective is really difficult. This is really a special situation lens.

BTW I paid about ~$150 for this and an additional $20 for the ever elusive HK14 hood for this lens. So I guess you got a good deal.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shiladitya wrote:
Hi Attila,

I have this lens for sometimes now.. and have a couple of rolls shot with it. Not classic test style images, but rather normal shooting in normal circumstances. I have yet to scan these images (shot with both slide and print films with my F4). I am hoping I shall have some images to show in a few days.

My first impression was it is a fine lens. But as I shoot only film, controlling the extereme WA perspective is really difficult. This is really a special situation lens.

BTW I paid about ~$150 for this and an additional $20 for the ever elusive HK14 hood for this lens. So I guess you got a good deal.

Great I looking for your shoots!