Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Auto Takumar 55mm f2 - first shots
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 6:55 pm    Post subject: Auto Takumar 55mm f2 - first shots Reply with quote

ever since I could take a few test shots with an Auto Takumar 2/55 a few weeks ago I had wanted that lens because I found it's colors very unique, cold but fascinating.

here it also could be a case of missed WB?
original:

after PPing:

I like how it renders reds, also blues:

here wide open ( and high ISO, maybe not exactly focused or camera blurr )

anyway enjoying this little lens Smile

here the link to all uploaded photos taken with this lens ( original sizes viewable ) http://www.flickr.com/photos/kuuan/sets/72157622525555050/

best greetings,
Andreas

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems a very nice lens and beautiful absolutely.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great samples. I like the first, but not retouched.

Bought this lens some days ago and received yesterday. Its not the same version as yours, but is still amazing looking. Compact and focusing is a joy !

Will be tried soon Cool

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this certainly is a very attractive lens Smile

wide open:

both on Pentax K-x

best greetings,
Andreas

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow Andreas! have you more like this one Razz Very Happy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Super shots!! great high quality.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

poilu wrote:
wow Andreas! have you more like this one Razz Very Happy

haha Poilu, I took a few of the same scene

and even though I missed the focus a bit, a 100% crop Laughing

thank's Andy,
cheers,
Andreas

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

more from the Auto Tak f2/55mm on APS-C ( Pentax K-x )

frangipani

easy chair detail, wide open:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice colors on the frangipanis,this lens is on the bay at the moment I may look into it.Hows the K-x going have you gotten used to it? (it looks like you have Very Happy )

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh Mo-Fo, I wholeheartedly would recommend this lens.
it not only is the most beautiful of all my lenses ( ok, together with a f3.5/135mm Prest Takumar ), it also is an outstanding performer. According to a test at Taunusreiter is outresolves any of the other Takumars tested, including the 1.4/50mm: http://www.taunusreiter.de/Cameras/EarlyPentaxTakumarPrimesTest.htm
from my own tests I can confirm that is has the best corner sharpness of my 10 tested 50/55mm lenses. So far I was shy to say that, because I did not want the price for this little lens, it's smallness is another point I much like about it, to rise, now it still can be had for little!

yes, I am very happy that by now I mostly like the colors produced by the K-x. Check out e.g also this one ( also taken with the Auto Tak f2/55 ):

my earlier dislike really mostly must be due to having to get used to the colors of a new camera.

as for the K-x:
sorry I have not posted more coments on my experiences as promised elsewhere. My earlier comments already do cover most of my findings, here again in short:

small body handling nice
great high ISO performance
great jpegs, to my surprise I mostly now shoot jpeg.
movie mode quite useable, smearing artefacts on panning ( as with any dSLRs ) - if video is a priority, because of it's mini stereo mic plugin, I much would recommend the K-7 instead though. The builtin mic sounds thin and is noisy, though I have read reports that it is better than most other built in mics of other dSLRs.

one use with M42 lenses:
- use M mode, press green button to meter, which is surprisingly accurate
- set metering to 'center weighted', not 'spot' to ensure better metering
- focus confirmation work surprisingly precise. I did get tired of not seeing well where I focus and instead relying on the confirmation and finally, just yesterday, installed a split focus screen. If that influences metering I am not certain, first impression says that it 'may' lead to some underexposure.
- live view great and very useable for critical focusing, specially e.g. @ f1.4, for me even at low light.

some shortfalls:
- no switch for 'shake reduction', to turn it on/off one first has to press 'info' and there scroll to the function to set it
- change from RAW - jepg also must be set in the menu, this is no issue for me though
- build quality seems much more fragile than my earlier camera, the *istDs. I handle it much more carefully.
- I don't like that by default, after switching the camera on, the LCD always shows the settings, only pressing the 'info' button twice blanks the LCD. I thought there should be a way to change that behaviour, but I haven't found any.

hm..hope I still get around doing a more rounded critic once I have more experience with the movie mode..resp. if this is enough I should repost it in the thread about the K-x

best greetings,
Andreas

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

great, that's stunning macros, glad you resolve your issues with the K-x

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Olivier wrote:
Poilu, could you explain me why some Andreas' pics merged on my computer ?

I cannot understand, it must be a virus because I see they merged too Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Laughing Laughing Olivier, what happened?
virus? maybe law of attraction, sweet smell attracting sweet shape?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kuuan wrote:

Laughing Laughing Laughing
Andreas, who or which has sweet smell and sweet shape ? Laughing

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Olivier wrote:
kuuan wrote:

Laughing Laughing Laughing
Andreas, who or which has sweet smell and sweet shape ? Laughing

I should have versed it differently, sweet smell and sweet shape attracting, again, sweet smell and sweet shape..
- as both, or should I say the three Laughing, have sweet shape, sweet smell the frangipani for sure, the 'backdrop', being Thai, even after a long days work most likely, and some freshening up would guarantee that too Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andreas im so glad you are getting more used to and happy with your new k-x. nice photos!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you Tony Very Happy

I am very happy too that I am doing alright with the K-x now. My old camera, the *istDs feels much more solid however and has a better viewfinder. Advantages of the K-x I have been ejoying are it's stellar high ISO performance, the more precise focusing at lowlight using live view and not having to use RAW exclusively. Focus confirmation and metering also appear to be more precise, other advantages must again be the live view for tripod / macro work and the video mode.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Andreas, I just collect a copy of Auto Tak 2/55 with a few of circle scratches (just like cleaning marks) on the front element. I found that my copy is prone to flare. When I cover the front element by hand, the colour is more contrast. The question is the flare caused by scratches or the lens itself with single coating? I'm very appreciated with your reply. I'll post some photos for illustrating my problem soon.

Last edited by dream100cc on Sun Dec 06, 2015 8:38 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chao Dream, this is difficult to say. One could easily say that this lens, for having been made in the late 50s, will have weak coatings and that therefore flaring easily is to be expected. However I have had no issues of flare with the Auto Takumar 2/55. Generally I consider old Takumars to have astonishing good coatings and with the exception of a few, mostly due to big front element, not prone to flare. I do not know how easily scratches in front element can cause flare, hopefully somebody else can comment an that

btw. I find the AUto Takumar to have amazing color renditions, most noticeably of reds

Untitled by Andreas, on Flickr

also to be very sharp from wide open

[url=https://flic.kr/p/a2CK9b]
passion flower[/url] by Andreas, on Flickr

it's attractive, right?

[url=https://flic.kr/p/8qn7to]
Untitled[/url] by Andreas, on Flickr

Last edited by kuuan on Sun Dec 06, 2015 8:36 am; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha, chao Andreas,
I agree with you that the colour of Auto Tak is quite good, cold tone and not yellowish like some Super or SMC copies. Red and blue are good,too. But my copy seems to be decreased contrast that caused by the direct or undirect light. So I think that I have to get a lens hood for it. My first test indoor light @2 may be. How do think about it?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ghost or flare ?

Pic #1 with the ray comes from the left side.
Pic #2 I cover the front element with my left hand Very Happy.
Anw, I think the pic #1 is artistic like some kinds of photographer who add effects to their photos to make a vintage look. Very Happy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Honda lover, from first pic of the caterpillar I'd have said look like a just a tiny bit of 'wide open' glow, last two pics show how much good a hood can do and I'd call it 'contrast loss'. right, the first version has 'something' that is likable, the darks of the second look harsh. Hoods are very much recommended when using a lens of this vintage, I confess that I never do, mirrorless cameras show in the viewfinder what the sensors sees and I use my hand to shield when deemed necessary, trying for the desired effect.