Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Helios 40 85mm f1.5 Silver.
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 6:51 am    Post subject: Helios 40 85mm f1.5 Silver. Reply with quote

Yesterday, I was walking around a weekend flea market with my wife and found a Helios 40, sliver, seldom used, and full set with leather box, tripod mount and 3 color filters. He was asking for around 270USD.

I took some test pictures with it. the results were very good. Is it a good price? Cause I do not know what is the going rate of this lens now.

thanks

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it was a m39 mount then it was ok... if it was a m42 mount then it was a good deal. Flea markets were designed for negotiation. i got a mint black m42 mount for a little over 300 recently, but that took some searching.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That works out at approximately €184.00, which for some would be expensive, but for others not so. You could pay 10 times that for a Canon 1.2/85mm - an excellent modern lens - but without the character of the Helios, so it's really all relative to what you think is expensive.

My partner bought me one (cased, with correct 'passport', filters and caps) and she paid quite a bit less than that for it, but it was her first *Bay transaction so I put that down to beginner's luck!!!

Putting a price on items like this can be difficult.

There's the scarcity - they're not made anymore; the WOW!!! factor - IMO one of the best-looking lenses out there; the images they can produce - just search through the board to see samples of the bokeh this lens produces; the bragging rights - few (if any) of your friends will have one...I could go on Wink

Oh, and welcome aboard - that poor lens's fate now lies squarely in your hands!!!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The one I saw is a M42 mount. Has a the stuff in it. original rear and front cap, booklet and color filters in a leather holder. The lens is dusty, but no scratch. The guy selling it is firm on his pricing though... guess he knows what he is selling.

And yes, I took some test shots of my wife, the image has such bokeh quality, and yet sharp on the dot where you want to focus. and YES YES... the bragging rights to own it... Smile

Guess now is to find the same person again next weekend hope he still has it.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tikiman wrote:

Guess now is to find the same person again next weekend hope he still has it.

I wish you good luck for that, but this is a mistake what you made. In such situations (singular events, only one copy, etc.) the rule is always to buy now, and resell later if not happy.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now I am feeling bad i did not get immediately Sad

I was using a canon 1KD with a M42 adaptor with the AF confirm chip, took 3 quick test shots of my wife, and the results are really nice.

lets hope it is still there. There are actually 2 Helios 40 for sale. One with filter, book and bag. The other is just the lens, and slightly more worn out.

Wish me luck next week.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try again next time. It sound like good opportunity I would take if I were you.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tikiman wrote:

If it's meant to be, it'll be Wink

tikiman wrote:
I was using a canon 1KD with a M42 adaptor with the AF confirm chip, took 3 quick test shots of my wife, and the results are really nice.

It's a really great portrait lens, and rarely disappoints.

tikiman wrote:
lets hope it is still there. There are actually 2 Helios 40 for sale. One with filter, book and bag. The other is just the lens, and slightly more worn out.

Wish me luck next week.

Good luck with your hunt - even if it's only the more worn-out one that's still available, go for it. You surely won't regret it.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You got excellent result!

Helios-40 silver fairly common on Ebay from Russian vendors, from 200-300 USD. Keep searching!

My favorite shoot taken with this lens.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder how the price for the lens will look in several years. I'm expecting one soon (the 40-2) which Attila will be graciously relaying to me from a Hungarian seller. Seems as if we're at the height of its "buzz" thanks to several glowing reviews in various forums. Maybe the price has more or less stabilized.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tikiman wrote:

Wish me luck next week.

Are you sure its really an M42 mount version and not just the early silver "40" M39 mount version fitted with a M39-M42 adapter ring?
If it is the early version then I'd give it a miss as it will have a fixed tripod mounting bracket (which can end up in an odd position by the time the lens is mounted on your camera and it will have a non-standard 66mm filter thread so you wont be able to use standard sized 67mm filters on it.
The later black 40-2 version addresses all three of these issues...
1) It has a proper M42 mount.
2) It has a rotating tripod mounting collar.
3) It has a standard 67mm filter thread.
I have the silver 40 version and I'd trade it for a later black 40-2 version in an instant Wink

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
1) It has a proper M42 mount.

I use my own m42 adaptor. and it fitted. the next time I go, I think I will need to check if he used a m39-m42 ring.

Quote:
2) It has a rotating tripod mounting collar.

Yes it as a rotating tripod mounting collar. that was the first thing that I notice.

Quote:
3) It has a standard 67mm filter thread.

I will take a ruler when I am there next week.

Thanks for the info.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of the later Helios 40s (not -2) had a rotating tripod collar. It isn't an anomaly.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even with those "shortcomings" it is a fantastic lens, almost impossible to duplicate. The price was fair - market, but fair.

patrickh

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks quite sharp copy, price is OK

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

patrickh wrote:
Even with those "shortcomings" it is a fantastic lens, almost impossible to duplicate.

Except with a CZ 85mm f1.4 Planar T*...Which gives almost identical results but with much smooher bokeh. Wink

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matter of taste they are different ones, I can't prefer over Planar 85mm even if I love it too.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Attila - excellent though it is, but much and all as I like the Planar 1.4/85, I don't have the same love for it as I do the Helios.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mal1905 wrote:
I agree with Attila - excellent though it is, but much and all as I like the Planar 1.4/85, I don't have the same love for it as I do the Helios.

Diversity is important at every part of life including photography I am very happy to see how many choices we have.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Went to the flea mkt today (again). Checked on the first worn-out Helios-40, it was sold. Went to the next guy with the full set, it was still there, but both sadly and luckily, i triple checked. there was an air bubble on one of the element.

So with money in my pocket and no where to spend, I went looking around for a wide-angle lens. Finally I got myself a mir-20M f3.5 (totally unused old set with box,retro filter, leather casing)

I know it is an impulse buy, can anyone tell me how well this lens is, or is it a total wreck...

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tikiman wrote:
Went to the flea mkt today (again). Checked on the first worn-out Helios-40, it was sold. Went to the next guy with the full set, it was still there, but both sadly and luckily, i triple checked. there was an air bubble on one of the element.

So with money in my pocket and no where to spend, I went looking around for a wide-angle lens. Finally I got myself a mir-20M f3.5 (totally unused old set with box,retro filter, leather casing)

I know it is an impulse buy, can anyone tell me how well this lens is, or is it a total wreck...

Buy me that lens with air-buble if possible!! You did pass best Helios-40 what you could buy , that lens made from Zeiss glass, by Zeiss people on Zeiss machinery in Russian captivity. Same glass than Biotar 75mm.... Big mistake to not take it.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you know that back in the day air bubbles were considered a sign of high quality glass? Those won't show up on the photo at all. So maybe you have missed a great opportunity to buy the Helios Wink

Edit: Attila beat me to it Wink

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tikiman wrote:

You missed a great buy, bubbles in old glass means they used very rare earths to make the glass. Sign of best optical quality.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

About the MIR-20... it depends on your copy. Some copies (like mine) do have a horrible corner flare. I was forced to sell it. Other copies don't show it. The lens gives very good saturated colours. Distortion is quite high. Sharpness will also depend on the copies, generally it is ok.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did not know that bubble in glass is good.

Quote:
Did you know that back in the day air bubbles were considered a sign of high quality glass? Those won't show up on the photo at all. So maybe you have missed a great opportunity to buy the Helios

Ha ha, I let it escaped me the 2nd time. i am still learning. good info. now is to convince my wife I need to get another lens again. Smile He only sells his wares in the weekend... so I another shot next week.

The Mir-20 that I got is the older version. Will test it when I have some time this week. cross my fingers.