Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Selection of Aviation photos...
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:59 pm    Post subject: Selection of Aviation photos... Reply with quote

Whilst I'm sorting out my new MF lenses I thought I'd post a brief photographic introduction to what I do with an AF lens....All taken with the Canon 100-400 f4.5/5.6 L zoom mounted on a 7D or a 400D.

Now, do I try bringing the Pentacon 300/4 up the hill next time I'm out?
Twisted Evil

.mic

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great series. You must be flying on another plane when you took those photos?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stingOM wrote:

That's what I thought. Amazing photos!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yebisu wrote:
stingOM wrote:

Or perhaps you were standing on a some high ground and then zoom in with that telephoto lens?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stingOM wrote:
Yebisu wrote:
stingOM wrote:

Or perhaps you were standing on a some high ground and then zoom in with that telephoto lens?

Yep! There are designated low flying areas in the UK that various armed forces use...certain valleys are used more than others so it's a case of waiting and hopefully being rewarded...

Thanks for the kind words Smile

.mic

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazing indeed! Many thanks to sharing them here!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

amazing! nice collection

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful! All of them!
#7 for me. That kind of panning induces the motion sensation perfectly.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mictheslik wrote:

Yep! There are designated low flying areas in the UK that various armed forces use...certain valleys are used more than others so it's a case of waiting and hopefully being rewarded...

I spy a few Cad West/Machloop shots in there if I'm not mistaken (Typhoon shots?). I'm planning on going over that way in the summer with a Photosniper (possibly, I'm awaiting a reply to see if it's going to cause problems), and a Pentacon 300/4.

Your panning on the #7 is spot on.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mictheslik wrote:

Yep! There are designated low flying areas in the UK that various armed forces use...

So what armed forces have been flying Lancasters and Vulcans in this age of digital cameras?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

perfect!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazing serie but #7 & # 8 are really Shocked Shocked ......I guess these kind of shots should be quite difficult to achieved with MF lenses.....

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pich900 wrote:
I guess these kind of shots should be quite difficult to achieved with MF lenses.....

If you aren't at or near infinity, you are too close...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers all....

Sevo wrote:
pich900 wrote:
I guess these kind of shots should be quite difficult to achieved with MF lenses.....

If you aren't at or near infinity, you are too close...

Sounds about right.....every now and then I take a bit of video with the 7D and 100-400 (video mode doesn't like AF Razz) and setting it to infinity usually works....

NewStuff wrote:
mictheslik wrote:

I spy a few Cad West/Machloop shots in there if I'm not mistaken (Typhoon shots?). I'm planning on going over that way in the summer with a Photosniper (possibly, I'm awaiting a reply to see if it's going to cause problems), and a Pentacon 300/4.

Your panning on the #7 is spot on.

Yeah....a really nice spot...just need a lot of patience. I'm up there quite a bit so let me know when you're around and I might see you there....Will try lugging the pentacon 300/4 up next time I go to see what results I can get Smile

.mic

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sevo wrote:
mictheslik wrote:

Yep! There are designated low flying areas in the UK that various armed forces use...

So what armed forces have been flying Lancasters and Vulcans in this age of digital cameras?

The Lancaster, named the City of Lincoln, is part of the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight. It is one of only two Lancasters still flying; the other is in Canada. A search for "XH558" will reveal the story of the Vulcan.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic shots, thanks for sharing!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lancaster is a great shot. My grandfather who was killed in the war in a Halifax, also flew these at one point before being promoted to the 298 squadron SOE.
These photos remind me of some of the posters i used to have up in my room as a kid, after visiting BAE on an open day

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brilliant series Michael.

About the Vulcan, as an ATC Cadet in the early 60s I once had an air experience flight in a Vulcan when we were on summer camp at RAF Waddington, near Lincoln. This was a great honour, as it was at the height of the cold war and there was an amber alert while we were there. We were airborne for nearly 8 hours, following a roughly X-shaped patrol course over the UK and out over the Atlantic and North Sea. I was strapped into a tiny seat next to the the Flight Engineer and the only window was a tiny round one behind the cockpit, you can just see it in the shiny streak above the roundel, which I couldn't reach. I was bored after about half an hour! Smile

Last edited by peterqd on Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:43 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazing photos.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great series. I think some of the photos should be used to magazines!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the kind words.... Very Happy

It's a very rewarding hobby on the right day and very frustrating on the wrong one....The vulcan and lancaster shots were taken at the Windermere airshow last year Smile

#7 was shot at 1/40 (Tucanos are fairly common so I don't worry about messing the shot up Razz)

.mic

PS. More here - www.mictheslik.zenfolio.com

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another Dustpump toting aviation shootist I see... Laughing

Great shots and a great set on Zen. Cool

Leuchars is my local but not for much longer sadly. Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen the Lancaster picture from the Windermere show ( or a very similar ) before and it's a great picture. Where do stand to get those shots ? I'm hoping to be there this year.