Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Jupiter-9 alu C/K sample on M9
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:43 am    Post subject: Jupiter-9 alu C/K sample on M9 Reply with quote

Lens is aluminium Contax/Kiev version of Jupiter-9, dated 1961, marked "red P" to signify excellence of production.

The following photo was taken a few days ago, very early morning, while it was raining like crazy
and I could not go out to take photos, I had to shoot from my studio window (and you can see the black
on the right, which is the wall next to the window).
The lens was set wide open (f/2), and it was so dark outside, that in spite of the speed of the lens,
I had to set the ISO on the M9 to 400. Being the M9 not a champion of high ISO, some visible noise
was generated, of not so pleasing type, and in developing the image I had to apply some noise reduction,
which obviously also erased some of the finest details. Yes, I could have used a tripod and a longer
exposure and keep the ISO low, but you can not ask too much of me before I took my morning coffee
Wink
In any case I think this is a very interesting sample that proves that the Jupiter-9 aluminium, when in good condition,
*is* sharp wide open, even in difficult light condition, and that it does *not* glare wide open.
Notable also the quite remarkable control of geometric distortion, and the striking absence of any colour fringing.

whole image:

100% crop:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
In any case I think this is a very interesting sample that proves that the Jupiter-9 aluminium, when in good condition,
*is* sharp wide open, even in difficult light condition, and that it does *not* glare wide open.

It seems that when I argue this exact point the topic turns sour and gets labeled as vitriolic. Thanks for the sample. I think it speaks volumes.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An other sample, this time ISO even worse: 800.
Always wide open.
Whole image, I think that the background blur is simply delicious:

100% crop:

Like I said, everything hand-held.
Lens and combo pictures here

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great lens and excellent sample of very good performance with silver red P j-9. I just bought few different Jupiter-9(kiev/contax alu and black, m42 silver and black) and i can confirm that silver rf are the best performance j-9. It`s not tiny difference, it`s even big when wide open. Black rf are tiny better than silver slr and the worst are black slr. Anyway it`s one of the best fast portrait rf lens. I`m waiting for Contax G Sonnar 90 f2.8 and i`m really curious comparison

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

one of my favorite 85mm lens , congrats! ( I bought 3 copies Embarassed )

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

mouthwatering oof-area, very impressive.

Cheers
Tobias

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, beautiful sample.

You make me long for an alternative small camera setup with Nex or GXR and stop lugging around on the heavy a900 FF.

/T