Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Teleconverter test picture
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:24 pm    Post subject: Teleconverter test picture Reply with quote

Here is a 100% center crop of the head of a sparrow. Edges have CA, but I don't really care as if I shoot with a TC, the subject won't be there. It is ISO 1600 - the light wasn't too good. Shot wide open.

Lens used: CZJ 135/3.5

Teleconverter used: Japanese made Prakticar auto teleconverter 2x - this seems to be a 4-element converter, however with rather large diameter lenses.

Last edited by Anu on Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:51 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HI!

The IQ of the teleconverted not cenvinced to me very much. The IQ of the CZJ 3,5 is very different, specially at F/5,6.

Anyways, perhaps you can add the image with the 4/300 (I read that you have these, or any 300 or 250 lens) to compare with.

Regards, Rino.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

estudleon wrote:
HI!

The IQ of the teleconverted not cenvinced to me very much. The IQ of the CZJ 3,5 is very different, specially at F/5,6.

Anyways, perhaps you can add the image with the 4/300 (I read that you have these, or any 300 or 250 lens) to compare with.

Regards, Rino.

I thought that was quite all right - contrast is down, sure, but resolution was there (wide open).

I just took a few test shots with all me three teleconverters (I got two today).

With CZJ 135/3.5 the observations are these:

Weixdorf (East German made):
    Largest magnification
    Very nice center
    Corners not too good wide open, improve stopped down

Prakticar (Japan made):
    Largest lens diameter
    Maybe just sharpest in the center, maybe
    Clearly worst corners - not good even stopped down
    Uncoated?

KOHBEPTEP K-1 (Soviet made):
    Easily the most even resolution across the whole image wide open
    Center competetive
    Corners sharpest
    By far the most CA

Shooting birds, I'd probably pick the East German one, shooting landscapes, the Soviet one. On Full frame the Soviet one might be the best choice, but as I only have a crop camera, this is just speculation.

I will try to take more test shots with longer lenses someday when I feel more energized - might even publish a shot or two Wink

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anu said:

"KOHBEPTEP K-1 (Soviet made):
Easily the most even resolution across the whole image wide open
Center competetive
Corners sharpest
By far the most CA"

It seems to be nice to use in B&W too.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good converters are not general converter , they are made for one lens.
I have one acceptable converter Kiron made Vivitar macro TC that is pretty good.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Komura telemore II, with 7 elements, can be good too. I didn't try it but heard this commentary.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

estudleon wrote:
Komura telemore II, with 7 elements, can be good too. I didn't try it but heard this commentary.

vivitar has also 7 elements , perhaps they are same ?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems to me that Vivitar is newer and MC. It has macro capability, not the komura. Komura SC not MC.

I don't know if there are the same formula or the same maker.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:14 pm    Post subject: A proper test image ! Reply with quote

I decided to try the East Germany made teleconverter and compare the results I got with it to the results I would get if I upsized an image taken without the teleconverter.

Lens used: CZJ 180/2.8 Sonnar
    Aperture used: wide open (the aperture blades are stuck - I need to open the lens soon Smile )
    Target: a 10€ bill at approximately 180-200cm

The images were sharpened ("capture sharpening") to negate the AA-filter, and very very slight sharpening to both after combining the crops into the same image.

I have no complaints regarding the quality of this teleconverter - plenty more detail than in upsized image without teleconverter. I recommend you to open your wallet, pick a 10 euro bill and look how tiny the resolved details are.

I'll try to shoot some birds with it someday soon.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 4:39 pm    Post subject: Woah! Reply with quote

I took a couple of test shots with the CZJ 200/2.8 and the East German 2x teleconverter. This is ridicilously good image quality - shot wide open:

(Please note that I was very light handed with sharpening to not hide any details.)

The target was again a 10 euro bill (front side, underneath the big number '1'). Simply amazing image quality. All the details solved so precisely. I can't see anywhere this much with my eyes.

I also took a shot stopped down two stops - basicly identical image, more DOF of course, but otherwise identical IQ.

Physically the teleconverter looks like a black CZJ-item - maybe it is a the same as the CZJ's own converter?

This VEB OPTISCHES WERK WEIXDORF KONVERTER 2x is simply stunning - I very highly recommend it, at least for CZJ lenses, especially the 200 (I'll try the 300 someday).

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, and here are two samples by using a Leica Summilux 1.4 on a Canon 5D and a Leica Telyt on an EOS 400D together with the normal Leitz 2 x Teleconverter (not the APO Version).

First one shot with the Summilux at f/1.4 + TC

And the second sample Leica Telyt 4/250mm + 2 x TC
on an EOS 400D Crop-cam = f/8 800mm (250 x 2= 500 x 1.6Crop)
Nearly 80 meters away..

Cheers
Henry

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And another one, taken with the Leica Elmarit 2.8/180mm (last Version) + 2 x TC... at f/2.8 x 2 = 5.6

After years of bad experiences with TC's, the Leica TCs are a great experience for me..

Cheers
Henry

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Click here to see on Ebay

This is a good one.